Get in the Simulwatch - Neon Genesis Evangelion [End of Eva - 21/7]

someone is leaking their information to the outside world
It's—*cough! *
Nope, too early just now. 😛

it also seems entirely plausible NERV were so much in control of the demonstration that there was never any real chance of the meltdown happening...
That's an interesting line of thought. Ritsuko reports to Gendo that "all went according to plan, except for Misato's stunt". (Paraphrased there.)
Perhaps another thing Anno left open-ended? 🤔

And I heartily approve of the Misato meme. Keep it up, Prof. 😉

The meme, is of course, misato before every episode.
These third children, working for a shadowy organisation whose plans will get you killed if you blink wrong on a mission and a ton of stuff post - asuka debut, you're gonna need it!

Episode 7

We start seeing a more expressive, open and dare I say it happier Shinji today. I think that why this episode is called The Human Work. It's nice to see the growth in him. We also see him never really panic about the mission but about Misatos safety. This is reaffirmed at the end when he moans about her but realises she has become family. Probably closer family than anyone hes ever known.

My take on the plot is that Nerv were going to make the thing self destruct as that is the best outcome for them Misatos plan meant they had to cancel it but in the end the main objective was still met where their technology comes out looking like the best option for humanity. (That's a long sentence)

Episode 7

We start seeing a more expressive, open and dare I say it happier Shinji today. I think that why this episode is called The Human Work. It's nice to see the growth in him. We also see him never really panic about the mission but about Misatos safety. This is reaffirmed at the end when he moans about her but realises she has become family. Probably closer family than anyone hes ever known.

My take on the plot is that Nerv were going to make the thing self destruct as that is the best outcome for them Misatos plan meant they had to cancel it but in the end the main objective was still met where their technology comes out looking like the best option for humanity. (That's a long sentence)
I feel they did everything they were going to do anyway, misato getting involved just makes it look like she did something rather than a super risky glitch randomly shutting it down

I feel they did everything they were going to do anyway, misato getting involved just makes it look like she did something rather than a super risky glitch randomly shutting it down
Could be I guess. I felt like Gendo wouldn't have wanted to risk people analysing the thing and discovering Nerv had interfered and the delay in shutting down was essentially him deciding whether Misasto was worth saving. Unit 1 being stood next to it might also have factored in.
Do they really benefit from letting it survive? I guess they may still realise it is a valid back up if they need it one day.

the delay in shutting down was essentially him deciding whether Misasto was worth saving. Unit 1 being stood next to it might also have factored in.
My honest feeling is that it's actually more straightforward than that: Misato prevented the meltdown through her own physical effort. I don't believe NERV or anyone associated with the sabotage had any further input beyond the initial tampering with JA's software.

I think it's sometimes easy to overanalyse Eva.

My honest feeling is that it's actually more straightforward than that: Misato prevented the meltdown through her own physical effort. I don't believe NERV or anyone associated with the sabotage had any further input beyond the initial tampering with JA's software.

Do you think? I'm pretty sure you see the computer suddenly activate before all the cooling rods go in. Also didn't Misato herself say she only survived because of outside interference before the scene cut to Gendos little debrief.

So much happens in these episodes it can be hard to remember everything and the order it happed in even just after you've watched it!

I'm pretty sure you see the computer suddenly activate before all the cooling rods go in. Also didn't Misato herself say she only survived because of outside interference before the scene cut to Gendos little debrief.
Ooh, interesting. 😯
I shall have to revisit the end of that episode, then. 😁👍

This is definitely true. Though it can be fun at the same time!
That is also completely true! 😛

I think NGE needs to be taken with a really large pinch of salt at the end of the day, and so long as you keep in mind that it is only fictional entertainment, it should be fun to analyse and hypothesise things. It's LOADS of fun to get invested in these things (as well as share insights with lovely folk like you lot), and I'm really enjoying this simulwatch and reading all your thoughts. Some people can take these things waaaaay too seriously to the point where it becomes unhealthy.

I think NGE needs to be taken with a really large pinch of salt at the end of the day, and so long as you keep in mind that it is only fictional entertainment, it should be fun to analyse and hypothesise things. It's LOADS of fun to get invested in these things (as well as share insights with lovely folk like you lot), and I'm really enjoying this simulwatch and reading all your thoughts. Some people can take these things waaaaay too seriously to the point where it becomes unhealthy.
Game of Thrones and Star Wars come to mind

Prof, you've had enough memes, I'm staging an intervention.

I can stop any time I want I have a problem...

On the plus side, I can now source decent screenshots, so I will mostly post those instead.

Speaking of which, before we move on to episode 8, I did want to mention this shot from 7 - I think it's a mark of good character design when you can tell who everyone is, just from looking at their silhouettes.

nge_ep7.jpg

I think it's a mark of good character design when you can tell who everyone is, just from looking at their silhouettes.
It certainly is. I think it was Simpsons creator Matt Groening who suggested the same thing, and apparently that was his actual stated aim.

Now I've got this awful image of swapping characters between those two shows. 😅

Episodes 5-8
Yep, still a monster of the week show with extra psychological noodlings on the side!

Of course, very well made and with interesting characters that make it stand above the competition.

I'm just having fun comparing different versions.
Episode 5
Rei is portrayed as very quietly spoken with the old dub probably the quietest.

The Gendo rescue scene and the scene with Shinji noticing the burns are switched which makes sense as until the Shinji scene in the anime it's not clear that it's a flashback.

No boob grabbing in the fall, but you do see nipples which is just as questionable. Although she's a clone which muddies the water a bit, although of Shinji's mum which brings it to a whole new level of weird!

No slap! I'm not sure if that's good or bad really. It seems out character for her to do it, but by the very act shows how much she cares for Gendo

Episode 6
Old dub/sub "don't say goodbye"
New "don't say farewell"
I'm not sure which one has more finality to it. Listening to the Japanese there's a 'ja' before 'sayonara', although they almost sound like 2 takes takes spliced together with a pause left in. According to Google translate that changes sayonara from goodbye to 'bye now' which does seem a little less final.

There's an added bit where Shinji explains he's crying because he's happy which takes Rei by surprise.

sketch-1509832157139-png.1687

reismiling.jpg

And the manga has it. I think it's the dimple under the mouth that makes the anime one seem weirder.

Episode 7
Seems a bit like filler in the overall plot, although there's a few tidbits that show how scheming Gendo is.
Ritsuko's new dub is much better, the old one sounds like she's just reading a script straight!

It is absent from the manga, although some of those tidbits might still be there. I can't remember without a more detailed read through.

Episode 8
Here she comes! Initial thoughts are that the old dub is pretty good by adding a little German flavour into the way Asuka speaks, which is a nice touch that's not in the new dub, but it's still pretty good.
I think I may prefer the Japanese Ryoji though.

The battle is a flashback as Ritsuko and Misato show it to Shinji and Rei, and ends with Asuka slicing the angel open and then the battleships finishes it.
The boys then meet her beating up punks in an arcade before we get the scene in the canteen, but at the NERV base and thus without Shinji's school friends.
The action in the anime is better, although it diminishes the next part a bit because Asuka and Shinji have already worked together which the whole point of the next part. But the fact civilians are allowed anywhere near the operation is a bit weird, so the manga wins out there.

I do think it moved far far away from a MOTW show by the end but whatever. As the films are not that...
Ep 25 and 26 are also not MOTW which is why the controversy happened.

Back