General TV Discussion

Doctor Who is just an occasional thing for me, but I really enjoyed that one. Frank Skinner's much publicised cameo didn't amount to all that much, but I liked the timed-attack gimmick for the mummy and the setting gave it the atmosphere of a nightmarish Poirot adventure.

Given the exterior shots of the train though, if someone behind this episode hasn't been watching Galaxy Express 999, I will buy a conductor's hat and eat it.

To my surprise, Gotham has really grown on me. I thought the first couple of episodes were all over the place, but it seems to have settled down and comes across as far more assured in what it's doing now. It's certainly not subtle, but it's fun in a 'live action cartoon' type way.

So, I got Downton Abbey Season 1-4 for Christmas. Finally started watching it over the weekend. Proper marathoning it as I am hooked! I love stuff like this and right now it's proving to be fantastic escapism.

Watched The Walking Dead last night. Wasn't the best episode but it had a lot of thought and meaning behind it and a lot of relevance too.

Professor Irony said:
To my surprise, Gotham has really grown on me. I thought the first couple of episodes were all over the place, but it seems to have settled down and comes across as far more assured in what it's doing now. It's certainly not subtle, but it's fun in a 'live action cartoon' type way.

Yeah Gotham is not bad at all except for Fish. My only problem is the age issue.

I'm finding it tough to keep up with 'regular' telly alongside all my anime viewing. A lot of shows I used to watch religiously I've dropped over the course of the past year or so.

I'd like to get up to speed on a lot of the American sci-fi shows coming out at the moment, but there always seem to be so many.

I'm feeling really gutted that I now have to wait til next year for the new series of both Silent Witness and Death In Paradise on BBC One when we've only not long just started this year :p :)

Big Silent Witness fan here too - I really think it's one of the best long-running TV shows on the Beeb - I love the way they're able to tell such compelling individual stories.

She's great, isn't she? You don't see many characters like her on TV - and I like that given how the show has evolved over the years, you feel like you've been following this person through their entire working life, and actually have a window on them as a person.

I like that Silent Witness does a lot with real artful shooting - some of the shots of London in the most recent series have been absolutely stunning.

Do you like Luther? I notice that's coming back soon, and does many of the same things.

Exactly :) And yes, the London skyline and location scenes are super stunning to say the least :)

I've never watched Luther before, although I might start doing so as I like Idris Elba :)

THE BLACKLIST.

James Spader be still my heart. AMAZING show. I also like How To Get Away With Murder.

My Mums watching a show called Crisis with Gillian Anderson I wish I got into from the start and she's watching one I can't remember the name of with Draco Malfoy on the stand for murder. Again I wish I watched from the beginning.

I'm lovingly watching Supernatural Season 9. Can't believe it took a UK channel that long to pick it up ater LivingTV dropped it. Bless you, E4.

My thoughts on The Walking Dead Season 5 (will contain spoilers on all 16 episodes in this season):

This is so far probably the best season in the TV series. So much stuff happened and I'm just getting stoked on what happens in the next episode. Now the main difference between this season and the previous ones is that the TV version is covering the comics pretty closely (this season covered about Volumes 11 to 13 aka Issues 61 to 78). Various events in certain episodes were pretty much dead on what happened in the issues (with some minor changes like character swaps or timing of events) and I'm happy they did that since they're pretty iconic (like how the Hunters just get killed by Rick & co.). There were even some surprises like the return of Morgan, some sudden character deaths and the turnout for this finale.

There were some minor flaws like the filler arc in the first half regarding Beth's capture, don't get me wrong I liked it but the end result kind of pissed me off (WHY WOULD YOU STAB HER AND THEN GET YOUR HEAD BLOWN OFF? SERIOUSLY DID YOU THINK THAT WOULD WORK?) and the third quarter was a bit slow I'll admit (the barn scene was powerful though) but the rest of them were great.

Overall I'll give this season a very good 4 out of 5 with some points taken from some slow moments and rather odd plot choices.

Now in terms of how Season 6 will turn out, I'm willing to guess they will cover the following events (contains spoilers from the comics):
- The fight against the Scavengers (probably going to be replaced by The Wolves who appeared in the Season 5 finale).
- The Walker outbreak at ASZ (may be the setup for the mid-season finale).
- Hilltop Colony from Volume 16 and the infamous Negan (may start off in Season 6 but will be the main setup for Season 7).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Walking Dead finale was good but 90 mins? My ar*e! lol.

I enjoy The Blacklist, Supernatural Season 9 and How To Get Away with murder atm now. Watch all 3 with my Mum. I'll be adding GoT to that list once it's on. Eeeeee! :)

Over the last couple of days, I was able to watch all thirteen episodes of Marvel's Daredevil. It was absolutely superb and is easily the greatest work in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far.
Vincent D'Onofrio in particular deserves recognition for his phenomenal performance as Wilson Fisk. I have to admit, despite the things Fisk did, I found his character to be far more likeable than Murdock's.

Joshawott said:
Over the last couple of days, I was able to watch all thirteen episodes of Marvel's Daredevil. It was absolutely superb and is easily the greatest work in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far.
Vincent D'Onofrio in particular deserves recognition for his phenomenal performance as Wilson Fisk. I have to admit, despite the things Fisk did, I found his character to be far more likeable than Murdock's.

This basically. Daredevil shows to me that Netflix knew what they where doing and made something truely fantastic to watch. If there was ever a fight scene i'd recommend to watch from it too, it would be the one from the end of episode 2. Done in one take. It's brilliant. I still think i love the dialogue more however.

D'Onofrio is an actor i've always enjoyed watching, and his performance as Fisk shows he's still got it. This role was really fitted for him, he seems to really know how to play a conflicted character. On Murdock though, i found him to be just as enjoyable to watch honestly, although for different reasons.

Back