General Politics Thread

While I get that the system is crap for the average working person, I really don't get where this idea comes from (well actually I probably do know, the media) that it's actually great for the average unemployed person, which I guess is what @Dave1988 seems to be saying. There are people in this thread on UC and other benefits, I don't know how you can read posts like the ones @Anj wrote and come and say things like "people who dont work and have an "illness" mostly workshy lay abouts". No, people who don't work and have an illness are not mostly workshy lay abouts. I know you weren't talking about anyone in this thread or trying to offend anyone, but you come across as insensitive to other people's hardships to say the least. You've clearly got your own hardships too and I don't doubt that, but you're not the only one mate. And I promise you that most of the chronically unemployed people out there would wish to be in the sort of position you are with a stable job they can hold down and a wife they were able to bring over from another country. You're coming in to this thread basically saying "poor me poor me, I'm so hard done by" but showing zero awareness or empathy for what other people in this thread are going through.

Of course there are a minority of people gaming the benefits system, but funnily enough the only ones I've known who do that are definitely not what you could call workshy, but people moonlighting about two different cash in hand jobs and multiple side hustles while also getting benefits. And like ayase, I don't really begrudge them, and I don't think they're really worth getting angry about. And as for the genuinely "workshy", who don't want to work and would rather subsist and get by on the meagre basic UC. Well, first of all that's a frugal life, and the DWP don't really make it easy to do this, I know this very well. I've been on UC and been genuinely ill so couldn't attend a work search review, I went to the doctor and got a sick note, and I still got sanctioned by some anonymous decision maker despite this. They're constantly trying to force you into some job you'd likely be terrible at and wouldn't last very long in. But that's nothing compared to what other people go through, so many genuinely deserving people in need or with children or with disabilities get shafted by the DWP. So honestly, you might want to talk to more people who actually receive benefits before you come to the conclusion that they're all wiping their bums with £50 notes and laughing at the honest working man. You're directing your anger at the wrong people. You correctly have a dim view of the current government and the establishment, cool I'm with you on that, but you've fallen right into their trap of getting angry about people who are weaker and worse off than you, the unemployed, illegal migrants, teenagers with no prospects, young struggling families, the ill.
Not saying "I'm hard done by" what I have, I achieved on my own with no help from anyone at all, not even family. I'm saying, why should I pay for others with my taxes when I had to pay for my own loved one to come here? Yes, I do have my own hardships, but like I say I also have goals and again, I didn't say "all" are workshy did I? I said alot "game" the system, which they do. Seems others themselves are jumping to conclusions. I will leave it there, or I'll get suspended again for stating my own opinion while others just get away with it.

Right, here's the deal, to make things absolutely clear: None of my comments have been directed generally at people on benefits. In fact, none of my comments have been directed at people on benefits at all because those in receipt of pension credit are still eligible for the winter fuel payment. I am one of your number currently, as much as I hate being desperately poor I must hate employment slightly more and it appears the DWP agree I currently should not be working in case I snap and murder somebody. However I am (probably rightly) not classed as disabled so I receive only the basic amount of UC. So while we're relating personal experiences, here's how I spend my £98 a week (minus housing costs because remember, housing benefit is a separate benefit for both UC claimants and for pensioners):

Half of the bills in shared accommodation, monthly cost divided by 4 for weekly cost:
Council tax: 65/4 = £16.25
Gas/Electric: 60/4 = £15
Water: 20/4 = £5
Internet: 15/4 = £3.75

Total: £40.00 a week (or £5.72 per day)

Personal costs, monthly cost divided by 4 for weekly cost:
Food: 160/4 = £40
Mobile Phone: 10/4 = £2.50

Total: £42.50 a week (or £6.07 per day)

Average total cost of living: £82.50 a week (or £11.79 per day)

The remaining £15 or thereabouts goes on the odd DVD or book or pair of jeans or shoes, lest I lose the will to live entirely. Now let's say to make things simple, I didn't share my house and had to pay all the utility costs myself, so that £40 a week becomes £80 and the personal costs stay the same, thus my costs would be £122.50 a week (or £17.50 a day). What I am taking issue with here is pensioners not on pension credit who have an income above £218 a week (or £31.15 a day) pleading poverty. This is what I am failing to understand and nobody anywhere, least of all the media, seems willing or able to explain to me. If someone, anyone, could enlighten me as to what is causing a non-disabled pensioner (because disabled pensioners can get PIP) to need to spend £100 a week more than I do, I would be satisfied. I could pay my rent as well without even needing housing benefit on £218 a week.

Thankyou for taking the time to explain all that Ayase, my point was partly that by pensionable age a lot of people have disabilities or health conditions of some kind... I still don't think means testing is a great idea but I am sorry if I was rude. As someone who's thinking a lot about how much more I really want to or need to buy outside of things like food, toiletries, safe sex supplies etc., I find your perspective on that interesting and worthwhile :)

I completely hear you on the therapy thing. The only thing offered to me was Talking Space and that did not help at all. The CBT does not work for anxiety at all (or my type of anxiety anyway, if there are 'types') and when I completed the course I said very diplomatically to the doctor that it didn't really help and they had no interest in listening to peoples' issues, just telling them how to not spiral and ignoring the queries asking 'what if we are already spiralling?!' Doctor said that they had literally no more to offer unless I wanted to go privately and get a psychiatrist. Hilarious. And pay for it with what exactly...
The system is broken. I bloody hope this new government hammer funds towards MH services.
I'm so sorry RadFem for any grief you have gotten over your disabilities because boy there are a lot of people out there with judgmental fingers pointing 'well if they can drive/walk/move they can work' etc.

And for what it's worth I think your art is lovely!

That stinks, and thankyou so much for what you said about my art it made me really happy when you said that you would put it on bedsheets or curtains, I know "I'd wear that on a T-shirt" and other similar statement maybe don't mean as much as sentiments go these days when it is vastly easier to put something on a T-shirt, but still I really do appreciate you viewing my creative thread and commenting :)

I'd almost certainly be dead by now without the NHS and I'm one of millions, I think some people don't realise how important it is :(

Back