General News/Current Affairs Thread

Richard Griffiths (Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter, Uncle Monty in Withnail & I) passed away today, aged 65, due to complications following heart surgery.
And the Lord said, "I mean to have you boy, even it must be burglary!”

R.I.P. Richard Griffiths.

ilmaestro said:
You guys know that the rest of the internet still has the news, right?
Rivaan said:
I usually find all the latest news through Google News and Facebook.
animefreak17 said:
i dont even look up or watch the news, its too depressing.
Last time I looked, "Off Topic >> Random Chit-Chat" meant what it said on the tin. I still don't know why people feel the need to post in threads they have no interest in making use of just to rubbish the idea of the thread. That noble pass-time known as "trolling" aside, of course.

RIP Uncle Monty. To hear that news while I'm staying in a virtual ruin miles from civilization...

A few questions. What makes you think I don't make use of this thread? Also, how was my post 'trolling', or "rubbish[ing] the idea of" this thread? You're making quite a few assumptions here, aren't you?

I was simply stating where I got my news from, like a fair amount of other posters were, in this thread. I just remembered, though, that I should add forums to the list of my news sources, since I've found out about some prominent world events through some of the forums I visit (this one included). Offline, I don't read newspapers, probably because I'm hardly offline!

In other news, to try to keep my post on topic, most news outlets were drumming up this whole Spamhaus DDoS incident, but it appears that hardly anyone complained of, or even noticed, any more slowdown than usual with their internet services. Indeed, there are no complaints on my end, or from any of my friends/classmates/colleagues. http://gizmodo.com/5992652/that-interne ... e-is-a-lie

VoxPhantom said:
I read the 'i' too, it's a nice little news fix with some decent puzzles too. With regards to paywalls, I've got a subscription to Times Online and I think it's well worth it.
Agreed with the 'i', well worth the 20p to get a good news fix for the day.

GRCC said:
http://news.sky.com/story/1071264/north ... t-us-bases

He's either:

A. Hoping Obama blinks first
B. Is doing his best military strongman impression to ward off possible coups by the military (country's practically a Stratocracy anyway)
C. Has testicles the size of one of his prison camps
D. Is genuinely insane
E. Thinks he's playing Homefront

I'll go with all of the above with a hint of delusion on C.
Makes me think it would have been better of being purged when Japan had the chance...

http://news.sky.com/story/1071635/north ... with-south

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

Seriously though, get rubbing your rosaries.

Too long, but I reckon we can help in the "flatten Kim Wrong Un's houses and Pyongyang" phase of the conflict. If the Americans can fly B-2s in from Missouri to do a dummy bombing run near South Korea then I reckon we can do similar.

The stories that'll come out when the regime falls don't bear thinking about.

GRCC said:
Too long, but I reckon we can help in the "flatten Kim Wrong Un's houses and Pyongyang" phase of the conflict. If the Americans can fly B-2s in from Missouri to do a dummy bombing run near South Korea then I reckon we can do similar.

The stories that'll come out when the regime falls don't bear thinking about.

America has Aircraft Carriers though :D

"We will first target and dissolve mainland United States, Hawaii and Guam, and United States military based in South Korea.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/29/world ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Kim's clearly got his wires crossed about this war business. What'll actually happen is he'll try to dissolve mainland America, Hawaii and Guam, and the US military in South Korea, but all his missiles will be shot down, break apart or fail to get off the launch pad. At which point America will proceed to flatten Pyongyang, the DMZ turns into a giant meat grinder while South Korea starts trying to work out how much it's going to cost to take care of wounded and maimed conscripts, and China starts plotting how to deal with the refugees inevitably coming their way.

GRCC said:
"We will first target and dissolve mainland United States, Hawaii and Guam, and United States military based in South Korea.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/29/world ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Kim's clearly got his wires crossed about this war business. What'll actually happen is he'll try to dissolve mainland America, Hawaii and Guam, and the US military in South Korea, but all his missiles will be shot down, break apart or fail to get off the launch pad. At which point America will proceed to flatten Pyongyang, the DMZ turns into a giant meat grinder while South Korea starts trying to work out how much it's going to cost to take care of wounded and maimed conscripts, and China starts plotting how to deal with the refugees inevitably coming their way.

I'm sure they can open a few more sweatshops that can deal with knock off goods for the people to work/live in. I remember reading ago that immigrants that flea there tend to go to Japan, were they then get shipped to South Korea.

You say that, but any NK escapees that are caught in China end up getting sent straight back to NK where they're invariably shot. No reason to think they won't do the same with NK refugees, just without the shooting part.

ayase said:
ilmaestro said:
You guys know that the rest of the internet still has the news, right?
Rivaan said:
I usually find all the latest news through Google News and Facebook.
animefreak17 said:
i dont even look up or watch the news, its too depressing.
Last time I looked, "Off Topic >> Random Chit-Chat" meant what it said on the tin.
You weren't even involved in the conversation I was commenting on, bro. :-/

I thought it would be easy for people to take my point that if a limited number of news services take their offerings behind a paywall other people will step into their place, but I guess not. I was perhaps overly light in my tone, I'll give you, but it was vaguely meant as a contribution to the thread, not "get this thread out of my animes".

Back