General News/Current Affairs Thread

Rivaan said:
Who the heck ADVERTISES their 'US mainland strike plan'?! It's almost as if he wants the US to bomb him.

it's all a ploy, while North Korea theatens to use nukes and nothing happens, it proves to Iran they have nothing to fear so they too will start enriching nukes and before we know it, a nuke WILL be otw to isreal.

Korea's game of call my bluff will be the end of us :(

Ryo Chan said:
Rivaan said:
Who the heck ADVERTISES their 'US mainland strike plan'?! It's almost as if he wants the US to bomb him.

it's all a ploy, while North Korea theatens to use nukes and nothing happens, it proves to Iran they have nothing to fear so they too will start enriching nukes and before we know it, a nuke WILL be otw to isreal.

Korea's game of call my bluff will be the end of us :(

It is not as bad as you make it out to be. We're safe in the UK, and Iran with nukes could be fine if they show some restraint. Heck, Israel need to stop feeling untouchable, it might stop them causing trouble in that region. Iran can't use nukes in any worse a way than the US did anyway.

Not sure I like the idea of someone like Ahmadinejad or the Mullahs having access to a nuclear arsenal especially if it's purely to keep Israel in check. Israel will respond by building up their nuclear arsenal (maybe even a pre-emptive non nuclear strike) while other Arab countries will also look at starting a nuclear weapons program. Last thing the world needs is more nuclear weapons especially in the hands of a country like Iran and in a region like the Middle East.

GRCC said:
Not sure I like the idea of someone like Ahmadinejad or the Mullahs having access to a nuclear arsenal especially if it's purely to keep Israel in check. Israel will respond by building up their nuclear arsenal (maybe even a pre-emptive non nuclear strike) while other Arab countries will also look at starting a nuclear weapons program. Last thing the world needs is more nuclear weapons especially in the hands of a country like Iran and in a region like the Middle East.

Quite, there more trigger happy then a shot-gun bearing hillbilly with parkinsons.
Also Communism has been a "pretend" reform since Stalin, so your statements pretty moot.

Someone should do something about Israel though, and there is no shortage of countries eager to do just that. The US have already shown that they can charge in and leave destruction in their wake quite effectively, so that should calm the trigger fingers of those countries eager to deal with Israel.

If your next door neighbour made proclamations involving holy war, suicide bombers, killing your people because of their religion and firing rockets into your back garden while some guy down the street gives them tools to do just that then you'd be more than a little paranoid.

It's one big vicious circle;

10 Militants fires rockets into Israel
20 Have Iron Dome shoot them down
30 If any rockets hit and kill civilians use air strike on where the rocket was fired
40 If several hours later you find that rockets were fired from school playground brace self for **** storm
50 Militants get more rockets from dodgy people and more recruits to fire said rockets or blow themselves up in Tel Aviv
60 Return to 10

Before anyone asks, no, I don't think the settlements are in Israel's best interests either.

http://news.sky.com/story/1074958/teen- ... -tweet-row

Probably all seen this but I think she should go purely for this quote -

Miss Brown told Sky her tweets contained the language of youth and that "fag" was not a term of homophobic abuse, but actually meant silly or idiotic.

How idiotic do you have to be to think "fag" isn't a term of abuse? Moreover how full of yourself do you have to be to think people will go along with an explanation that idiotic? I'm fairly certain Westboro Baptist Church haven't been crusading against silly and idiotic people all this time.

GRCC said:
http://news.sky.com/story/1074958/teen-crime-commissioner-in-offensive-tweet-row

Probably all seen this but I think she should go purely for this quote -

Miss Brown told Sky her tweets contained the language of youth and that "fag" was not a term of homophobic abuse, but actually meant silly or idiotic.

How idiotic do you have to be to think "fag" isn't a term of abuse? Moreover how full of yourself do you have to be to think people will go along with an explanation that idiotic? I'm fairly certain Westboro Baptist Church haven't been crusading against silly and idiotic people all this time.

fags are just another name for cigarettes

That kid is unsuitable for the post, and if they've any sense they'll dismiss her. She will be remembered as a racist homophobe, and keeping her harms their image and reputation.

Rule 1. Do not speak ill of the dead.
Rule 2. Do not pretend death absolves them from misdeeds in life.

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Discuss.

Her numerous faults aside, she was still the first (and to date only) female Prime Minister of the UK. It took a lot of backbone to get that far in 1979 but I hope she is forever remembered for decimating the industry of the country and privatising everything with no regard for the future.

st_owly said:
Her numerous faults aside, she was still the first (and to date only) female Prime Minister of the UK. It took a lot of backbone to get that far in 1979 but I hope she is forever remembered for decimating the industry of the country and privatising everything with no regard for the future.

Agreed. Privatisation ruined many good services by making them all about money. The fact that her being a woman was a big deal only shows how sexist the world was (and sadly still is).

In other news, the north of England is having a huge party, I hear?

Damn it, I was planning on playing some Monster Hunter tonight and slaying a ruthless beast but it seems like a stroke went and beat me to it.

The old witch is dead. Party time!

yKhRXCN.jpg

g0YKHuA.gif

dXAbVhw.jpg

glH2coQ.jpg

j5zTlbL.jpg

Shame the only fair thing she tried to is what brought her down. Poll tax seemed pretty fair to me in principle, though it needed a little work.

Mutsumi said:
Shame the only fair thing she tried to is what brought her down. Poll tax seemed pretty fair to me in principle, though it needed a little work.

Fair in what way? By being entirely regressive and shifting the reason for paying from property to just being alive?

Cracking discussion on Sky News at the moment:

'She transformed the banking system!' - 'No, you're rewriting history!'

'Her and Reagan brought about the end of the Cold War!' - 'No, no no!'

'She invented Mr Whippy!' - 'Oh, tasty!'

Muu_Puklip said:
Mutsumi said:

Fair in what way? By being entirely regressive and shifting the reason for paying from property to just being alive?

The idea that the number of people in a property should be a factor was fair. Of course the principle of the current system is also a sensible one. Something that combines both principles would be ideal.

Back