Finally managed to log in to this today after some failed attempts earlier in the week. My phone or internet/both-the-above, seem to struggle with the nier app... Really struggling with time these days and sticking to good old FGO for stress relief (can't thank you enough for helping me get online with that!), so am worried about getting hooked on another gacha. Though being a nier fan I kind of have to get into this one! Barely played this and feeling a bit lost - any advice on what aspects of the game I should try to prioritise?
It took me so long before it clicked so I feel ya.

Basically you shouldn't be so worried about collecting new characters quite as much in this game. It's the weapons you want to focus on. While characters do have their bonuses and skills, that shouldn't be a consideration until you have reached a point where that will make a difference to a fight. Until then they are bodies to swing your fancy swords about. So just try and max out a team of 3 star characters (try and include a maxed out 4 star if you got obscenely lucky with materials). Then throw resources into levelling up some good choice weapons with good weapon skills. Focus on the element advantages to begin with, when you have a bigger collection then you can try and match the characters up to their favorites which does make a difference.

When you hit a p[lateau there is artifact memory grinding. I would look up a dedicated guide to that as there are a lot of considerations to that. And of course don't forget to level up your companions.

In terms of content focus on the story first until you start struggling to three star, then consider running some events to get easy characters/materials

And finally don't play it too hard. This is an easy game to burn out on and it goes very hard at advertising the monitisations even compared to FGO, if you think you might get addicted I am more than happy to just tell ya the story instead.

Last edited:
Awesome sauce, thanks dude, this is really helpful and much appreciated!

It does seems a lot less plug&play friendly than FGO and I certainly noticed how heavily it is monetised, with a hundred options to blow your cash away. I find that incredibly off-putting and certainly intend to steer well clear of that (I've been generally very good with FGO and not spent anything apart from the one time I got a whole bunch of paid SQ, justifying it by stating it will keep me going for a couple of years of the guaranteed paid summons at a better rate, and that it only seems fair to pay something for a game I sink so much time into heh; thankfully been very fortunate with my ssr pulls with the free SQs).

As long as I can play through easily enough to experience the story, that'll be fine for me, especially as I didn't feel the gameplay the way I love it in FGO. Thanks again dude.

Yeah, there's obviously plenty of content to come with EN being 3 years behind JP and that's still going strong.
It's a shame Cygames didn't do it themselves, I'm sure whatever the cost it's a drop in the ocean for them compared to what the rake in, in Japan.
As someone pointed out though, it is really generous with the gems and as people know which units are good to pull for and when they are coming out you can save up for them and avoid the FOMO. So CR shot themselves in the foot by not trying to catch up, although that might have made it less generous and unbalanced. I wasn't the best at saving hence the money I spent ☹️
Oh well, I can spend the extra time on getting through my library of manga I've built up on Bookwalker.

Well this is a massive bummer!

Spent at least £100 on it. Not sure I can be bothered with starting a JP account or playing anything else either!
That is most unfortunate indeed, sorry dude. If only they would leave what was released up to closure open for fans to replay if nothing else, and also for posterity. Certainly something that makes me very weary of the transient nature of media these days, games and streaming shows included.

Already downloaded the JP version! Wasn't really paying too much attention to the story (I got the jist from the anime), but I liked the bit of game play there is.
Just can't face the grind just yet, although sounds like a lot of it is now automated by QOL updates we didn't get to on EN.

Honkai: Star Rail Will Be Officially Available From 4/26/2023!

This looks right up my street by a) being new and something I can get into from the start, and b) easier and quicker to play on the mobile by being turn-based. The massive scale of Genshin also scares me, so I look forward to trying this one instead now that FGO has slowed for me since having caught up, and how I'm really put off by square's current nft/gacha obsessions and Nier Reincarnation, despite how much I love that series.

I gave Honkai Star Rail a go and it's good. Might drop Nier for this as it is far less grindy and confusing.

Good news for those that are familiar with Genshin Impact is that the underlying systems and UI are identical right down to the weapons banner being bait, it's just no longer open world and has turn based combat instead. This immediately improves artifact gringing (yes it's back) substantially and kills the rotation fighting in your team building which is another improvement imo.

The Global version of Princess Connect is now dead!
I started the JP version last week and it's very generous to new players, there's a special gacha for 72 hours including a bunch of limited units and 3x rate on equipment drops, mana and EXP until lvl 200! Current event actually puts the equipment rate up to 4x.
Only problem is it's all in Japanese, obvs.
The basics are there from playing GL and there are plenty of guides and tools around to help, so I'm getting used to the new stuff.
Cygames do have a few games run by themselves with English support, so hopefully they will add it to this.

The Global version of Princess Connect is now dead!
I started the JP version last week and it's very generous to new players, there's a special gacha for 72 hours including a bunch of limited units and 3x rate on equipment drops, mana and EXP until lvl 200! Current event actually puts the equipment rate up to 4x.
Only problem is it's all in Japanese, obvs.
The basics are there from playing GL and there are plenty of guides and tools around to help, so I'm getting used to the new stuff.
Cygames do have a few games run by themselves with English support, so hopefully they will add it to this.
Real shame for the fans. Glad you are enjoying JP

Currently, in the games that never end category, I am also playing Honkai: Star Rail, a pretty fun game that comes with all the caveats that gacha games have, but have almost worked through all the story stuff and will be waiting till more is added. Till then, just finessing what I have. I did tell myself that I wouldn't be running 2 of these at the same time, but here I am 🥴. The first being still is Genshin Impact which is mostly me doing the bare minimum and only doing missions that are required. stuff is starting to stack up though....
Likewise, I've got FGO and Honkai Star Rail running together now and I draw the line at that!
I gave Honkai Star Rail a go and it's good. Might drop Nier for this as it is far less grindy and confusing.

Good news for those that are familiar with Genshin Impact is that the underlying systems and UI are identical right down to the weapons banner being bait, it's just no longer open world and has turn based combat instead. This immediately improves artifact gringing (yes it's back) substantially and kills the rotation fighting in your team building which is another improvement imo.
It's good fun and I love the fact that it is turn based as it makes it a lot easier to play on the mobile which is my go to these days.

I made the mistake of picking the male trailbazer as MC at the start whilst it seems the female version has a much better skillset :(. Did anyone that make the same "mistake"? Got some pretty good characters through the freebies in the gacha though so definitely not going to re-roll heh.

Nice, did you get anyone good?

I also have male trailblazer but I'm, not aware of any differences? My Gacha luck is as poor as ever though but I'm much too far in to reroll now lol (not that I ever do). If you want to add me my UID is 702371838.

Got me thinkng of returning to Genshin again soon, I stopped playing just before this years Windblume festival, for me I find it's pretty easy to get burned out on Genshin as the grinding is a chore and the general attitude of the community wears me out too (seriously hoping that not all of them jumps ship to HSR). So all that said I'm really glad that HSR has auto-battle for the material grinds.

Nice, did you get anyone good?
Yeah I got 5* Himeko & 4* Sashang (I think that's her name) from the departure gacha and from the banner I got the 5* Clara along with 4*s Natasha & Hook which is a great streak for just a handful of freebie pulls! The gacha is certainly far more forgiving in providing 4* characters for every ten tickets.

I've started Star Rail too.
In regards to the MC, it's animation only. They haven't limited abilities to one gender because otherwise that choice is a huge one that they would need to tell you about prior.
Ah, I thought the female MC was a different setup altogether being less offense and more support with the skills and Fire elemental as opposed to Destruction?

Back