FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: The greatest story ever told. Re-told.

Didn't mind the first episode. At first I found the whole mid-story setup difficult to adjust to, but I suppose there was always going to be a slightly disjointed feel with a new series.

At the moment it still hinges on where it goes from here, roll on second episode.

Dizzae said:
Am I the only one waiting for the official one then? :S

Meh, if the current Funimation streaming quality is anything to go by, I'm not surprised people aren't waiting. The official streaming seems free anyway so I don't see how Funimation are making money. If I were still watching fansubs and doing all that though, I'd at least open the official version to make sure Funimation got some kind of advertising revenue, but watch the fansub version...

I just finished watching the first episode and I though it was great.. I liked the mid-story action filled episode. I want to watch some more now though =P

First episode was pretty good, never really watched FMA in Japanese besides a few odd episodes to try it out and it's sort of weird hearing Rukia as Riza Hawkeye.

Why does Hughes have to die again? : (

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so question here. I've only ever watched the first few episodes of the original FMA, and thought it was pretty good. Should I source the rest of that and watch it before watching this, watch this and then the original series, or just watch one and fore-go the other? I mean, I know Brotherhood is a retelling of the series, but for people who've seen both, what do they thinks the best decision?

Well, this time it follows the manga and its own story. The first 25 episodes of the original follow the manga then deviates, so if you want to watch it for the original content, go for it. If not then just wait. I'd just watch the original myself though first, get it over and done with.

Go for Brotherhood if you want to watch the version that follows the manga. The original one was pretty good considering it didn't actual follow the manga after a while.
As Brotherhood has only just started airing though you can either watch that as it comes out or go for the finished original series..

Just watched the first episode. I found it a bit "meh" at first, but it impressed me towards the end. Also, I loved the opening... the combination of the music and the animation was perfect.

In short, I'm liking the new series a lot! Except the word "brotherhood" as part of the title...

Just Passing Through said:
Will everyone stop watching this!

50 minutes to stream a 20 minute episode!

Well at least the site hasn't crashed...

yet...

50 minutes to stream.. ouch, that's got to suck.

I've watched about half of the episode through the Funimation website, and really, the quality just can't compete with a fansub, so if and when I do follow it properly (which will probably not happen at all) I'll just watch the fansub, it won't have that silly Funimation watermark on it either.

The quality is good for the un-maximised box though, 640x480 or whatever the resolution is.

I think what will actually happen though is I'll just wait for a Blu-ray release, if and when it eventually happens.

Turned out OK in the end. Went away, did something else for an hour and came back to find it had buffered, and I watched it with great pleasure. It was great story, and a nice start to the series. Widescreen is nice, Ed and Al are great, and Ice Alchemist was an interesting foe. Also, surprised to see that they didn't bother with too much foreshadowing and gave many of the story's secrets away early. Expect they think the audience has already read the manga, seen the first series.

Downsides, not too sold on the themes, I got used to the rock of Series 1. They overdid the chibi gags, and the SD was a little too comical. Don't like new Roy Mustang. Prefer the original VA.

Apparently it got worse afterwards, with people waiting over 2 hours for the show to buffer. And Funimation upgraded their servers this week...

Glad you got around to watching it in the end, still seems quite bad.. I downloaded mine at 1280x720 resolution in just over 2 minutes. Far better than streaming in my opinion.

Indeed! I've just got an urge to support Funimation. (Currently waiting for Shikabane Hime to buffer)

I'm very happy with 640x360, it's as good as SD broadcast quality, and better than Crunchyroll's offerings. Besides, I wouldn't know a bit torrent if it bit torrented me in the ass!

haha, *sends bit torrents to bit(e) you*

I've steamed a few things, but sometimes my internet is not the best and I'd hate to wait to watch something because it's being slow ^_^

Just finished watching episode 2 and now my first reaction was This is from the manga. But they did it in such a way that it all comes in order, which isn't exactly a bad idea. It also seems that they are starting from scratch too considering what the next episode is set to be. My only drawback with the episode was that it was rushed. I'd have liked to see their training, but there we go. I'm looking forward to seeing the next episode though.

They skimmed over all the mushy loving mother/son parts (Which I loved) and I was sort of annoyed, ready to admit the first FMA was better in that aspect. Then the human transmutation happened and it pretty much blew me away and everything about the mother/son bonding was forgotten.

Next episode is Lior, please give us some more original content soon. Roze isn't black!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back