Figure discussion/picture thread

lol, exactly - I would also have much respect for your boldness if you had Strike Witches playing on a loop on a large TV visible to other people. :D

I was pretty gutted to pass on Merry as she's one of my favorite character designs from the recent past, can't remember exactly why I didn't order her.

I know why I'm not ordering GSC's Maria or Kobato, though, despite wanting their Yozora and Sena, and it is entirely down to the unfortunate choice of outfit they have gone with. I quite wanted a HaGaNai set to rival my BRS and Bakemonogatari ones, too. :-/

Lawrence said:
FIG-MOE-5705_01.jpg

I regret entering this thread. Well at least there isn't a Makoto...

....damn it.

(Although I find myself wanting models of their actualy Luxury, Starry and Floral costumes more.)

Could you imagine a service where someone custom-made figures based on how you had your characters dressed up in a save file for the game? That might well be too much.

ilmaestro said:
Could you imagine a service where someone custom-made figures based on how you had your characters dressed up in a save file for the game? That might well be too much.

That...Hmm. It's actually hard to envision whether that would make a profit or not.

On the one hand, the fandom is large. But is the part of the fandom that would want this actually willing to shell out a little bit extra, considering the level of customisation that would go on...

Eh, I need to stop analysing this - I've got my business head on this morning. As an idea I quite like it, although I wonder about how many crazy requests would be made. There must be a ridiculous number of different customisations...

Also, real blinking leds for the Starry costumes or not? :D

Definitely real blinking lights!

I believe there was such a service for WoW characters, so it's not impossible... if nothing else an enterprising doujin figure artist could probably do quite well out of it if they had enough skill.

R

Well, 3D printers are probably putting custom figures in the realm of possibility in the near future if you can get a 3D model of them.

Shiroi Hane said:
Well, 3D printers are probably putting custom figures in the realm of possibility in the near future if you can get a 3D model of them.
Looking at GSC Mikatan's blog looks to be becoming standard for master copies anyway.
It's the lack of Chinese mass production that's going to hurt it (it will cost a bomb)

It's not just that the production will cost, it's paying a designer to model it and make sure the figure doesn't look like ass, too.

Erio-chaaaaaan~~~

eVEJL.jpg

My first 1/6 scale figure, I think, and so she's pretty big for a such a tiny thing (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

The quality isn't perfect; there's a mark here and there and some tiny globs of paint on her hair, but it's nothing you'd notice if not looking very closely. And that mild displeasure was mitigated somewhat by the rather large box somehow evading customs (like Kuroneko did) despite being declared with the full value.

Quite happy overall. Now, to hide her somewhere... ^_^;

So I took the plunge and bought a figure. I believe it's a Chinese knockoff based in the cheap price, but it arrived today...

It's Rin Tohsaka from fate stay night and its 1/6 scale... Pretty big. The quality is surprisingly good for the price, only the tops of the stockings and a slight bobble of White on her jumpers cross being a detracting and they are pretty minor. (oh and the hair colour is a little too light but I expect that is to contrast with the hair ribbons)

Oh, the one other issue is that as it stands on one foot and is quite heavy it's a bit unstable as the shoe pulls away from the mounting and the foot out of the shoe... I think a bit of glue will sort that though will try it tommorow...

Pictures... Hmm, will get some when I glue it tommorow but it does look like Tohsaka and it's a pretty dynamic pose so for the meshes cash i paid to get it I'm happy...

The only downside is I thought it'd jazz up my manga shelves a bit and now I have my eye on some proper expensive ones to join her on the shelves...

I can see why people end up collecting these things :)

1/6 always seems pretty big to me, although I guess characters like Erio benefit from being tiny "in real life".

I need to take some pics of HSP's Miku and some of the Nendos that I've received recently.

lol, fairly standard with a large number of figures, just something you have to get used to.

Quite surprised you bought a figure of Kuroko, though, didn't think you particularly had any love for the character?

Lawrence said:
I also feel kinda disgusted, you can see her panties underneath the skirt, it's kinda creepy.
Eh? One of the SW figures has her legs spread with her knickers in full view. Why is one figure having her drawers on show worthy of comment and another not?

It is not hard to find other posts where Lawro tries to rationalize aspects of SW that he utterly condemns in other properties.

You did notice the immense underskirt that Madoka was wearing that would cover up her underwear?

Attention to detail/authenticity is probably a fair way of looking at it, it would almost look weirder if there was just... nothing under there.

It's part of her costume design, so I don't really know how to reply to that. Kuroko's costume here is that of a maid, in stark contrast to Madoka's Puella Magi outfit, that is the point.

With cash burning a hole in my pocket I browsed UP's figure section, looking for something in stock. In the end I had to decide between an eminently displayable Aoi Yamada from Working! and, well, something rather less appropriate for display. Guess which one I chose! NSFW - she's packin' some serious oppai.

Tamaki from To Heart 2 by Max Factory. The figure's a couple a years old and apparently quite highly sought after, so I was surprised to find it there. She's supposed to be 1/6 scale but it looks more 1/7 to me. Just for the record it's the face that sold her, not the, uh, other notable feature(s). Honest!

Back