EATV: Defunct'd - Manga UK Podcast will include EATV

Re: East Asia Television News Thread ~ Schedule detailed

Shiroi Hane said:
Manga (Jerome) has issued a flat "No comment" regarding EATV.

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/410031658390126593

Do Manga hold TV broadcast rights to their shows? If so you'd think they might say they've not been approached, or No comment if they have and are in negotiations?

Though I suppose a general 'No Comment' covers all possible scenarios so we shouldn't read anything into it.

I've seen broadcast rights mentioned in US licensee press released, but we don't get press releases here as such.
I've a feeling it's been touched on in Manga's podcasts though?

Shiroi Hane said:
I've seen broadcast rights mentioned in US licensee press released, but we don't get press releases here as such.

My gut tells me they'd probably not have them as it's spending money on something they will 99% of the time not be able to capitalise upon. Though I'd imagine they might have 1st refusal as part of sub licencing from the US companies.

Rosencrantz said:
Shiroi Hane said:

My gut tells me they'd probably not have them as it's spending money on something they will 99% of the time not be able to capitalise upon. Though I'd imagine they might have 1st refusal as part of sub licencing from the US companies.
I do remember Jerome saying in one podcast how they do hold digital distribution rights for a few of their titles, as they tend to come packaged with other rights they do want, so maybe broadcast rights is in a similar boat?

In podcast 21 Jerome said Manga have TV rights for about 60% of what they release, but they don't have them for any of their Toei releases or the Kaze stuff they distribute.

VoxPhantom said:
but they don't have them for any of their Toei releases or the Kaze stuff they distribute.

I was thinking that probably explains why One Piece is not available on Crunchyroll for this same reason to the online rights. But I could be wrong.

I imagine because in those instances, Toei is Toei and Kazé keep the rights to themselves?

Joshawott said:
I imagine because in those instances, Toei is Toei and Kazé keep the rights to themselves?

Kaze gave all of the streaming rights to Animax. Luckily Bleach is available on Crunchyroll.

The top 10 vote by the end of 2013 was:

1. Attack on Titan
2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
3. Dragonball
4. Fairy Tail
5. Steins;Gate
6. Kill La Kill
7. Death Note
8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
9. Clannad
10. Cardcaptors

I personally hope that East Asia TV works, mainly because I work for ONECon, one of the conventions that East Asia TV is visiting, so I for one hope that the channel becomes a success.

reborn said:
Kickstarter + Steampunk Anime Series? More info coming very soon...
https://twitter.com/EastAsiaTV/status/4 ... 1552702465
So they're now going to use Kickstarter to grab TV licenses...?

How would that even work? Granted I don't know much about that process but I always presumed if they didn't want to give the rights, they didn't have to, regardless of ..well just about anything.

They also said
A hint to our Kickstarter campaign can be seen as our Twitter header...
web

I certainly hope it isn't a Kickstarter for a license, because didn't one company already try that once and the Japanese side basically shown them the door?

Think it was a Spanish licensor that tried to raise funds for the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya license, only for Kadokawa to nix it.

VoxPhantom said:
Think it was a Spanish licensor that tried to raise funds for the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya license, only for Kadokawa to nix it.
To be fair, if a prospective business partner outright shows that they need support just to pay for a licensing cost, I wouldn't want to do business with them. It's not like Anime Ltd's upcoming Kickstarter where they already have the rights.

Errrrr I'm not really sure what to make of this. I haven't been following this situation completely so someone with more knowledge should fill in the gaps.

East Asia TV put up a draft of their Kickstarter project online for feedback. An original JP/UK collaboration called "Clockwork'd" (Yep, that's what the art was for). They want £475,000 to produce 6 x 30 minute episodes for their original anime.

See it for yourself here.

To put it bluntly, in it's current form it's one of the worst Kickstarter campaigns I have ever seen. A half-arsed idea, with a waaaaaaay too low goal, and pretty much zero details on who, what and HOW they'd actually go about doing this. Quite frankly, it's the work of delusional amateurs. Even if this is just a draft, the idea behind it just comes with too many uncertainties for this to be even considered worthy of backing.

Now apparently a lot of people agree with me, and have let them know about it on their Twitter account. Now, I'm not sure exactly what's gone down in and amongst them retweeting praise, but it seems they didn't take any negative feedback well and proceeded to start blocking people. They then proceeded to put up this astonishing statement.

eastasia_zpsf4fc2f33.jpg

This is where someone will have to fill in the gaps for me, but I did a quick search and most of what I could see was constructive criticism and mild ribbing, yet users got blocked anyway.

If there was any proof that this company is not to be trusted, then this whole fiasco shows it. I really can't believe how stupid this all is.

It means that EastAsiaTV think they can hop on the Kickstarter bandwagon, be able to get half a million quid from us and magically find some Japanese animation company who'll make 6 whole episodes of their half baked Steampunk anime idea. Anyone who criticises this idea is delusional and abusive to them and will be blocked.

Ath said:
It means that EastAsiaTV think they can hop on the Kickstarter bandwagon, be able to get half a million quid from us and magically find some Japanese animation company who'll make 6 whole episodes of their half baked Steampunk anime idea. Anyone who criticises this idea is delusional and abusive to them and will be blocked.

Whelp, there goes the chances of anime on TV. I've rather have Toonami back than any other form.

Back