EATV: Defunct'd - Manga UK Podcast will include EATV

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
UPDATE 06/02:
After months of people asking for certain anime they wanted and dozens more who couldn't tell if the company were legitimate after the supposed kickstarter, it's been confirmed that the planned East Asia Television channel will not be happening therefore the company is pretty much dead.

:roll:

The full 'What is EATV?' from UK Anime Network is quite interesting.

Here's the conclusion report if anyone hasn't noticed (via UK Anime Network):
Prior to publishing this article, we sent its contents to East Asia Television's Managing Director Ash Lawliét, giving him a full right to reply to respond to any of the contents within this piece. A statement provided to us by Mr. Lawliét on behalf of the East Asia Television follows:

On behalf of East Asia Television Broadcasting Ltd.

East Asia Television set out with one goal: to broadcast East Asian programming to the UK and to as many homes as possible. Whilst working for the Global Anime Network, a title given to the organisation many years before the channel was conceived by the founders and freelancers helping on this project now, we heard how much demand was out there for an East Asian Media based channel which lead to the creation of the company you see today.

The weeks went on and the odd question as to when the launch would be and what might be broadcast arose (which was to be expected). So we opened up the voice of the viewers and let them suggest what they wished to see on our channel for the launch night. Whilst voting was being undertaken between November 2013 - January 2014 we were in talks with both Anime providers here in the UK and overseas (though many contracts depended on proving a potential market after other channels with the same aim had failed here in the UK before) which then lead us to the point of ready and waiting.

As we'd be taking over a currently existing Sky EPG slot we waited for the right time (as from the moment an OFCOM license is put in we must begin broadcasting) where we would have had the programming and the press to launch East Asia Television off in the best possible way and make it a true competitor against the big transmitters currently on offer.

With MCM May 2014 in the works it would've played host to all of our previews and a Q&A panel so the viewers who waited so long would finally know who East Asia Television was and wouldn't forget to watch. But this wasn't to be, as when we simply opened up the Kickstarter Campaign for feedback on a concept series we were lashed out against, even resulting in Social Media Hate toward employees at the company.

Having worked in the anime industry for so long we understood there would be adequate objection and skepticism, but we had to keep our cards close to our chest, especially when one slip could give your business rival the advantage in an already competitive market. But some viewers decided to cross the boundary and began stalking employees in real life, harassing and abusing them on the street in a sadistic attempt to get information from them.

With this a line had to be drawn.

And so, I take this opportunity, on behalf of those effected and those true supporters, whom we thank dearly from the bottom of our hearts here at East Asia Television, to announce that East Asia Television Broadcasting Ltd. will cease trading on Friday 7th February and close indefinitely. We apologise that we cannot continue our operations but at this time employee protection is our main priority.

East Asia Television was based on the premise "A channel made by fans for fans" which was both the cause and terminus of the Broadcasting Company.

Ash Lawliét
Representative for East Asia Television.

El Presidente of Anime Limited had this to say.

Re: New channel East Asia TV to offer anime on Sky

Euromillions winner with money to burn plus an anime fan?

So much of that is obvious BS!

meeting featuring 37 British anime moguls
, so that's Jerome, Tony, and Andrew and 34 others that we have never heard of and who have been busy selling us absolutely nothing for the last ten years...

soon to be announced British branch of Aniplex.
Aniplex don't need a British branch. They sell their Blu-rays region A/B, at elitist prices that fans are free to import. Why would they waste their money on the UK when their existing model earns them more.

-A British based dubbing studio
Just as wasteful as Aniplex's UK branch. Who would dub things twice in the same language to just get a different accent, selling to what? The hundreds of thousands of UK anime fans?

which is the biggest stumbling block to ...

A new Japanese media channel

There aren't hundreds of thousands of UK anime fans, which is what you need to sustain a satellite channel, unless you're being subsidised by a foreign government (RT), There are maybe twenty thousand anime fans in the UK, fragmented and with their own preferences, and who's going to pay for scheduled TV with ads to watch anime that they can stream to their TV without ads at a time of their choosing courtesy of Crunchyroll? That ship sailed years ago with Jetix. Besides, I've been paying attention to how satellite TV works of late. Announcements are all well and good, a hundred new channels may announce their debut with the best of intentions, but only half of them will get the requisite OFCOM licenses. Of those, maybe ten percent will actually make it to air, and of those half of them will be off air again within six months due to a lack of audience. The chances of this one actually making it to air are slim.

But...

There will also be an internet on demand service.

Throw enough darts and eventually you hit the target, although it did take 7 months from that posting for Wakanim to show up. Yeah, posted seven months ago! SO MUCH BS!

Just Passing Through said:

At least the channel is real.

NormanicGrav said:

At least the channel is real.

I think the recent Channel announcement has nothing to do with that posting. Especially with what I've read about that channel's mission statement. I get the feeling that anime will just be one strand of what they are doing, and a lot of their schedule will be devoted to other entertainment from Japan, China, and Korea. They'll need to be that diverse to have a chance, A sole anime channel wouldn't get off the ground now.

Going for a joint East Asian channel makes sense I think. A dedicated anime channel wouldn't work, but having anime as a block on a channel that offers dramas and K-pop videos might just have a fighting chance.

That /a/ post is brilliant though :lol:

Really looking forward to this since I love a lot of asian things and not just anime.

So glad we are finally getting something like this. Sky has loads of channels that I can't imagine get too many viewers (loads of religion and news channels, seriously how many do you need!? Just have one or two!) so glad we finally have this to look forward to. Getting a bit fed up that NHK World is the only option for Japanese things right now.

I'm not going to get any hopes up just yet. If it actually pans out I might obtain television for the first time and take a look for myself, but that's a really big if.

What I expect is a channel which just cycles through Manga UK titles, mostly dubbed, in the graveyard shift after airing more mainstream stuff (which will somehow also end up being stuff I'm not interested in).

Well, fingers crossed that they can pull it off and surprise me :)

R

, so that's Jerome, Tony, and Andrew and 34 others that we have never heard of and who have been busy selling us absolutely nothing for the last ten years...
Unless you count everyone at Anchor Bay (and probably not even then) I don't think there are even 37 people in the anime biz in the UK, let alone "moguls".

Shiroi Hane said:
Unless you count everyone at Anchor Bay (and probably not even then) I don't think there are even 37 people in the anime biz in the UK, let alone "moguls".

That post was probably referencing about 5-10 people per company (i.e. 10 in Manga, 4 in All the Anime, 7 in MVM, 15 in Anchor Bay etc.).

...and soon to be announced Aniplex for the UK..
Why bother? If Aniplex thinks they can gouge me on my home turf better than they thought they could from the west coast of the US, they got another think coming. :evil:

Re: New channel East Asia TV to offer anime on Freeview/Sky

There's no room left on Freeview, not for broadcast over the air at a time most people would be happy to watch. If it does come to Freeview, it would be as an IPTV offering in the channel 200s

Re: New channel East Asia TV to offer anime on Freeview/Sky

I get the feeling that the Poll has turned into a popularity contest.
Personally I feel that shows like Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero and Ghost in the Shell: Arise would be genuinely good to start off with, due to the more mature nature of the shows, and it would also promote the home video releases next year. I never thought I'd say this, but airing at least one of the big three in the earlier slots may be a good idea to potentially bring in a few viewers too.
Anyway, I think the suggestions I made in the end were:

Fate/Zero
Psycho-Pass
Ghost in the Shell: Arise
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
Attack on Titan
Kill La Kill
Garden of Sinners
Accel World
Steins;Gate Movie
Blue Exorcist (Dub) - due to the dub being BD only

Back