EATV: Defunct'd - Manga UK Podcast will include EATV

Re: East Asia Television - Now Deceased

The full 'What is EATV?' from UK Anime Network is quite interesting.

Here's the conclusion report if anyone hasn't noticed (via UK Anime Network):
Prior to publishing this article, we sent its contents to East Asia Television's Managing Director Ash Lawliét, giving him a full right to reply to respond to any of the contents within this piece. A statement provided to us by Mr. Lawliét on behalf of the East Asia Television follows:

On behalf of East Asia Television Broadcasting Ltd.

East Asia Television set out with one goal: to broadcast East Asian programming to the UK and to as many homes as possible. Whilst working for the Global Anime Network, a title given to the organisation many years before the channel was conceived by the founders and freelancers helping on this project now, we heard how much demand was out there for an East Asian Media based channel which lead to the creation of the company you see today.

The weeks went on and the odd question as to when the launch would be and what might be broadcast arose (which was to be expected). So we opened up the voice of the viewers and let them suggest what they wished to see on our channel for the launch night. Whilst voting was being undertaken between November 2013 - January 2014 we were in talks with both Anime providers here in the UK and overseas (though many contracts depended on proving a potential market after other channels with the same aim had failed here in the UK before) which then lead us to the point of ready and waiting.

As we'd be taking over a currently existing Sky EPG slot we waited for the right time (as from the moment an OFCOM license is put in we must begin broadcasting) where we would have had the programming and the press to launch East Asia Television off in the best possible way and make it a true competitor against the big transmitters currently on offer.

With MCM May 2014 in the works it would've played host to all of our previews and a Q&A panel so the viewers who waited so long would finally know who East Asia Television was and wouldn't forget to watch. But this wasn't to be, as when we simply opened up the Kickstarter Campaign for feedback on a concept series we were lashed out against, even resulting in Social Media Hate toward employees at the company.

Having worked in the anime industry for so long we understood there would be adequate objection and skepticism, but we had to keep our cards close to our chest, especially when one slip could give your business rival the advantage in an already competitive market. But some viewers decided to cross the boundary and began stalking employees in real life, harassing and abusing them on the street in a sadistic attempt to get information from them.

With this a line had to be drawn.

And so, I take this opportunity, on behalf of those effected and those true supporters, whom we thank dearly from the bottom of our hearts here at East Asia Television, to announce that East Asia Television Broadcasting Ltd. will cease trading on Friday 7th February and close indefinitely. We apologise that we cannot continue our operations but at this time employee protection is our main priority.

East Asia Television was based on the premise "A channel made by fans for fans" which was both the cause and terminus of the Broadcasting Company.

Ash Lawliét
Representative for East Asia Television.

El Presidente of Anime Limited had this to say.

Re: EATV: Defunct'd - UKAN has full story behind the company

Well it's over now anyway. This really was an example of 'How not to form a start-up'. I've saved the Kickstarter page for posterity and hilarity.

Lol, how can they say it's the terminus of a broadcasting company when they have yet to broadcast anything?

I'm quite impressed by UKAN's research in this and other matters, they clearly know what they are doing.

I'm most confused by the proud way they tweeted about how UKAN would be breaking the story, like they thought it wouldn't make them look like idiots somehow. They could really benefit from listening to what people are saying before embarking on future ventures.

R

@MangaUK What r ur thghts on the closing of east asia tv after the anticipation built from last year 4 anime 2 finally air on tv #askmangauk
(Translated into English: What are your thoughts on the closing of East Asia TV after the anticipation built from last year for anime to finally air on TV?)

@Tashfinz93 We will definitely cover this tomorrow. >Jerome

I presume no one was paying any attention to Animax via Sony Movie Channel.

Oooo I can't wait to hear Jerome's thoughts on East Asia TV. This is gonna be good.

Listened to it and to sum up my thoughts; it's about right but Jerome's so cheese eating surrender monkey about how anime's not been on TV that it sours my thoughts on Manga's output.

Correct Statement: This plan was insane from the off.

Incorrect Statement: But that's OK Because TV is a dead medium so who cares.

That's the statement of a whiny child who's like "THATS FINE, I DIDNT WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL ANYWAY!" when excluded from a game during break-time and it's one that I really do not want someone in charge of PR and Acquisitions at Manga to state given the defeatist attitude towards anything that isn't basically crunchyroll and there "not [Jerome's] problem".

ConanThe3rd said:
Listened to it and to sum up my thoughts; it's about right but Jerome's so cheese eating surrender monkey about how anime's not been on TV that it sours my thoughts on Manga's output.

That's the statement of a whiny child who's like "THATS FINE, I DIDNT WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL ANYWAY!" when excluded from a game during break-time and it's one that I really do not want someone in charge of PR and Acquisitions at Manga to state given the defeatist attitude towards anything that isn't basically crunchyroll and there "not [Jerome's] problem".

I noticed that the whole TV whinge was a rather obvious smokescreen to avoid actually saying anything at all about EATV. That's a surefire sign that someone, somewhere is getting their butt sued, and commenting on the case is a no-no. I don't think the EATV debacle has stopped entertaining us yet!

Just Passing Through said:
ConanThe3rd said:

I noticed that the whole TV whinge was a rather obvious smokescreen to avoid actually saying anything at all about EATV. That's a surefire sign that someone, somewhere is getting their butt sued, and commenting on the case is a no-no. I don't think the EATV debacle has stopped entertaining us yet!

Yes, he most obviously skipped over the question.

He made some valid points though, for years I'd wanted Anime to break into TV because it would therefore be a legitimate medium, and that's a big reason others want it on TV too. But as he said, no one wants to watch it, and we are well past the days of only 4 TV channels where it could of legitimately made an impact.

Conan, you should embrace his desire to get more Anime on things like Netflix as they can deliver the content to people who want to watch it, the day of TV being the be all end all is over.

I noticed that Jerome completely avoided the subject of EATV specifically; most likely out of professional etiquette.

In regards to TV, I actually have to agree with Jerome because out of my own personal experience, the TV in my house is mainly used as a means to play games consoles unless there's a big football game on or X-Factor. I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched something on TV live. I don't currently have Netflix yet, but I am very interested in exploring it. I mean, TV is mostly repeats anyway these days.

Rosencrantz said:
Yes, he most obviously skipped over the question.

He made some valid points though, for years I'd wanted Anime to break into TV because it would therefore be a legitimate medium, and that's a big reason others want it on TV too. But as he said, no one wants to watch it, and we are well past the days of only 4 TV channels where it could of legitimately made an impact.

Conan, you should embrace his desire to get more Anime on things like Netflix as they can deliver the content to people who want to watch it, the day of TV being the be all end all is over.
It's over for Us (Us being the 18 - 30 yo audience that is technically savy enough to the point where Liner TV is nothing but a pain in the butt one must endure for their weekly episode of whatever top show (Mine is Castle) but if we stick with Us, there's no way to go but down and Out.

TV is a dinosaur, but it's one that is still there, there will be no meteor to bring in a new age for at least five years (if not longer as corporations hang desperately to the old model, just see HBO clinging on tooth and nail to make Game of Thrones a complete bugger to watch on any means other than on HBO/Sky Atlantic) and by that time, any potential for a new audience is off watching something else that IS on TV.

If not getting a show on TV, then get something even close to a presence anywhere but the platforms they are selling to. Tell people who like Pokémon and YuGiOh and the ritualistic airing of Ghibli films on Film4 that there's other things out there. Why not put out an advert the next time Castle of Cagliostro airs on Film 4 that there's a continuation called 'The Woman Called Fujiko Mine'? Why hasn't Jerome RT'ing new DBZ Abridged episodes (or Dizenshu EX Podcasts) and going "This is cool, here's what they're talking about" and geting TFS/DEX to RT it?

I get these things cost money and hiding into the chubby hole of On-line Streaming (especially stuff like CR where you don't have to do anything) is 'just ok', but I ask you this; what is the cost of 'just OK' and is it 'just OK' to throw the future under the bus for the sake of today?

Edit: Also, it "Ma-Jai" not "Mag-e", I swear to christ.

Jerome pronounced something Japanese properly? :O

I'm with Rosencrantz on TV. There's a generation still using it but I'm not seeing them as the next wave of anime fans - my kid relatives are all using online services and don't understand why people would wait for scheduled broadcasts in this day and age. I don't either. It's not anywhere near as powerful as it was a few years ago, and the short term prognosis isn't good.

Also, if the age of the people I see at events (and coming in to forums like this one) is any indication, the younger generation needs little help getting hooked on anime. Josh's petition would be more helpful to the UK industry than anything less than another Pokemon-level megahit on TV at this point.

Manga UK really need to keep pushing themselves online though. They still aren't getting stuff on enough platforms IMO (and for simulcast subscribers the big UK companies might as well not exist, because they aren't making themselves known).

R

I still record anime shown at Sony Movies when they do something good, (Bleach at the moment, first arc at the moment) so if it's on TV and it's not something I don't care for I'll watch it, so anime on TV still works for me,,,,,when it's actually available, which as we all know it usually isn't.

I think anime on a channel mixed with other things that appeal to an audience that isn't really exposed to anime could be a good thing particularly if that channel actually has an audience and the chosen anime fits in well with the type of programming on offer.

However if you've just got a channel designed to appeal to anime fans it's not likely to bring in many new people onto the scene. Particularly now that TV isn't as big as it was and there are so many channels that the chances of someone who isn't already into anime scrolling to the bottom and selecting a purely anime channel is fairly remote.

ConanThe3rd said:
Regardless, We need to see an outreach and Jerome's blazefare attitude to any way that involves money and effort is downright depressing
I'm not sure if you are aware, (and it certainly seems that you aren't), but I've spoken with Jerome in the recent past, and though he is a rep for Manga UK he actually has very little to do with UK broadcasting anime. He basically deals with physical product like DVD and BD distribution and sales, but licencing and suppling broadcast material is all handled by Starz in the US and all he can do is spectate just like the rest of us. He can introduce stations to Starz, but after that he's out of the picture. So maybe you should point your pair of vitriol squirt guns at Starz in NYC instead? Just suggesting. :wink:

Back