Dubs vs Subs

Jayme said:
Also, a basic rule for me is: FUNi = Good. Viz, Bandai and everyone else = not as good. They just seem like they are their for the sake of being there. Generic anime voices (not that FUNi are Gods)
You don't like Bandai? I think they are decent. Their GitS SAC dub is the most professional dub you can get, well, anywhere.

Maxon said:
Jayme said:
Also, a basic rule for me is: FUNi = Good. Viz, Bandai and everyone else = not as good. They just seem like they are their for the sake of being there. Generic anime voices (not that FUNi are Gods)
You don't like Bandai? I think they are decent. Their GitS SAC dub is the most professional dub you can get, well, anywhere.

Of the anime publishing companies, only ADV and Funimation dub anime, the other companies outsource their dubs to recording studios, and often use the same recording studio as each other. Ghost in the Shell SAC was produced by Animaze. Haruhi was at Bang Zoom. Bleach is at Studiopolis. All three studios are in Los Angeles. Bandai tend to either use LA or Canada based studios, but have used Headline Sound Studios (based in New York) recently as well. Viz usually use LA based Studiopolis, but have also used Vancouver based Ocean for Death Note.

I haven't heard Revy in English (only in Engrish), but I find it very hard to believe her English VA can match her JP VA. Not only does Revy JP sound tough, she sounds hot. She fits the character perfectly. Her 'would fap to' voice is one of the reasons I like the character.

Oh, also, if you're using voice actors who haven't learnt how to pronounce Japanese names correctly, you have less than no chance of me putting up with your dub.

Aion said:
I haven't heard Revy in English (only in Engrish), but I find it very hard to believe her English VA can match her JP VA. Not only does Revy JP sound tough, she sounds hot. She fits the character perfectly. Her 'would fap to' voice is one of the reasons I like the character.

I thought the same before hearing the dub, and admittedly it was a bit of a grower after hearing the Japanese VA. It's worth giving a chance though, the final story arc minus 'engrish' benefits in particular.

ilmaestro said:
Oh, also, if you're using voice actors who haven't learnt how to pronounce Japanese names correctly, you have less than no chance of me putting up with your dub.

I'm not defending them, but usually it isn't a voice actor's choice on how to pronounce things. Quite often the actors aren't familiar with the correct pronunciations and as such the director tells them how they want it to be pronounced. Sometimes they choose the incorrect pronunciation out of a mistake, but at other times they choose it intentionally due to the correct pronunciation sounding strange when combined with english words.

Having a series with inconsistant pronunciation is far worse than one with incorrect pronunciation.

Fudce said:
Maxon said:
Jayme said:

Of the anime publishing companies, only ADV and Funimation dub anime, the other companies outsource their dubs to recording studios, and often use the same recording studio as each other. Ghost in the Shell SAC was produced by Animaze. Haruhi was at Bang Zoom. Bleach is at Studiopolis. All three studios are in Los Angeles. Bandai tend to either use LA or Canada based studios, but have used Headline Sound Studios (based in New York) recently as well. Viz usually use LA based Studiopolis, but have also used Vancouver based Ocean for Death Note.
Still, whatever dubs come from them seem to be ok.

Fudce said:
ilmaestro said:

I'm not defending them, but usually it isn't a voice actor's choice on how to pronounce things. Quite often the actors aren't familiar with the correct pronunciations and as such the director tells them how they want it to be pronounced. Sometimes they choose the incorrect pronunciation out of a mistake, but at other times they choose it intentionally due to the correct pronunciation sounding strange when combined with english words.

Having a series with inconsistant pronunciation is far worse than one with incorrect pronunciation.
Whilst that's an interesting fact to learn (where did you actually pick up that info, btw?), all it does is move my disdain from the voice actors to the directors. It's someone's name, at the end of the day.

ilmaestro said:
Fudce said:
ilmaestro said:

Whilst that's an interesting fact to learn (where did you actually pick up that info, btw?), all it does is move my disdain from the voice actors to the directors. It's someone's name, at the end of the day.

It's something that's often asked to voice actors at panels, and they always explain it. I think I heard it on a commentary once too.

I should also add, sometimes you can be watching a dub, and then one of the characters will say a name spoken the way it is spoken in Japanese, and it will just sound completely out of place. If you have the Shana DVDs, check out whenver Yuji's mom talks to Alastor to see what I mean.

Fudce said:
I should also add, sometimes you can be watching a dub, and then one of the characters will say a name spoken the way it is spoken in Japanese, and it will just sound completely out of place. If you have the Shana DVDs, check out whenever Yuji's mum talks to Alastor to see what I mean.

I get where your coming from there, sorta the only time i've picked it up so far is when they got the Moon Phase actors to say "Itadaki-masu" a couple of times though it didn't really phase me.
What shakes my rattle is when you get people who just can't act, like elfen lied male protagonist acting totally spoiling it for other better actors in there like Jay Hickman and Jason Douglus. But don't get me wrong i actually find some japanese actors to be annoying too.

Anyhow i back up Jayme what he said at the top there that being under the direction of P Shermen, Bang zoom has got to be one of the best post production companies I've heard to do dubs not only for animation but video games as well

@ilmaestro: also it's not just a name to be put at the end of the credits but it's whats behind the name that counts. So when there's a new film that has Nicolas Cage as the star, it's not just a name

When I first started watching anime it was only really available subbed, so I was pretty hard core for subs (I don't think I could watch Akiria any other way). But as more dubs came in I could see that sometimes they actually made an effort to pick a cast who worked and suited the characters. Those early Manga Ent dubs are hilarious, adding so much swearing trying to make something edgy. Nowadays I can take or leave subs or dubs, though sometimes the sub is the only way to go. However I do tend to find myself being lazy too often now and switching the dub on straight away. My only real problem with dubs is that they really need to start getting new talent into the industry as I am really starting to get tired of the same cast just moving from one show to the next. That is not to say some of these people are not talented as many can do more than one voice, however there are those that can't and they are just to recognisable to be in every show.

Aion said:
Well why don't you at least try the dub to see if the US VA works for you? ou mignt like it. ALso it give you arguement more credence that the "ragging no shows you haven't watched" line you are going for at the moment.
Tried both myself and settled for the dub. Why? No japanese guy can do a big black guy's voice.

hopeful_monster said:
Otaku-san said:
hopeful_monster said:
Tried both myself and settled for the dub. Why? No japanese guy can do a big black guy's voice.

or any other race for that matter
Mind you an American's attempt at any British accent is often as diabolical

oh yeah, the only decent one is that bird who done the voice of miss Hellsing, but that's a gibbon really

Fudce said:
I should also add, sometimes you can be watching a dub, and then one of the characters will say a name spoken the way it is spoken in Japanese, and it will just sound completely out of place. If you have the Shana DVDs, check out whenver Yuji's mom talks to Alastor to see what I mean.
Well, like I say, I don't really watch dubs, but to me this is just illogical - it's the character's name. If some Japanese dude comes to visit you, would it make sense to pronounce his name wrong to make it sound better in English? I can't imagine how that would make sense.

Thank you for the info re: the question being asked at voice actor panels etc.

Otaku-san said:
@ilmaestro: also it's not just a name to be put at the end of the credits but it's whats behind the name that counts. So when there's a new film that has Nicolas Cage as the star, it's not just a name
I'll be honest, I haven't got a clue what you mean here. Or, at least, what you're trying to say in the context of name pronunciation.

On a possibly tangential note, would it make any sense for Japanese people to pronounce his surname "ka-ge"? No, they try to get as close as possible to the "proper" pronunciation, allowing for the limitations of their own syllables. In general, I don't think those limitations are there in English, with a couple of exceptions.

ilmaestro said:
Otaku-san said:
I'll be honest, I haven't got a clue what you mean here. Or, at least, what you're trying to say in the context of name pronunciation.

On a possibly tangential note, would it make any sense for Japanese people to pronounce his surname "ka-ge"? No, they try to get as close as possible to the "proper" pronunciation, allowing for the limitations of their own syllables. In general, I don't think those limitations are there in English, with a couple of exceptions.

who said i was on about name pronunciation :?

but what you think you find with english language is that it's the most understood, direct and flexible language there is

Yep, I'll be honest again, I still don't know whether you're agreeing with, disagreeing with me, or even talking about the same thing as me (I'm thinking not, since you said "who said i was on about name pronunciation" and that's pretty much all I was talking about).

Back