Dubs vs Subs

unellmay said:
Lupus said:
The dub will also be easier on the ears.
*EXPLODES OUT OF PURE UNADULTERATED RAGE*
You do know that all anime is dubbed, right? Either in Japanese or some other language.

I'm one of those who believes you should evaluate this according to your tastes. On some ocasions the english dubs does sounds better than the japanese.

chaos said:
unellmay said:
Lupus said:
The dub will also be easier on the ears.
*EXPLODES OUT OF PURE UNADULTERATED RAGE*
You do know that all anime is dubbed, right? Either in Japanese or some other language.

I'm one of those who believes you should evaluate this according to your tastes. On some ocasions the english dubs does sounds better than the japanese.

WAIT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
:x :x :x :x :x :x
*MORE EXPLOSIVE RAGE*

WHAT KIND OF OTAKU ARE YOU!!!!????????????
I KNOW YOUR NOT ONE AT ALL JUST........*GASP* A MAINSTREAMER
AAHHH STAY AWAY YOU DAMN MAINSTREAMER!!! STAY AWAY!!!

GO WATCH YOUR BLEACH OR YOUR NARUTOS AND
I'LL STICK TO NEON GENISIS THANK YOU

Not once have I ever thought a dub was superior not ONCE!!!!!!

Also akira wasn't dubbed so thar!!

I also don't like how you insulted Chiaki Omigawa's beautiful voice

Superior dubs...

Steamboy

No that's all I got.

No wait...

Desert Punk in the early episodes when most of the characters were masked for 90% of the time...

English dubs which are equal to the Japanese... I can think of many.

lol.

I think you're blowing what I said way out of proportion. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was recorded in English first btw. I can enjoy watching a series in Japanese and English, but a series like Soul Eater full of little kids is going to strain my ears from all the under-age Japanese voices, regardless if it's a talented seiyuu or not.

There's the explaination needed.

unellmay said:
A lazy one?

unellmay said:

Chill out =P

If you never thought an english dub was superior than the original I believe it must be either that you haven't seem enough anime or you are infatuated with japanese. Most hardcore subtitle fans are the latter because it sounds cooler.

And I have no idea who Chiaki Omigawa is and I have never said which anime I prefer english or japanese dub, so you're assuming =P

And if she is dubbing a guy, yes, I would most likely prefer the english dub, provided they use a guy to dub.

BTW - let's not derail this into a sub vs dub wars. not worth it.

Lupus said:
lol.

I can enjoy watching a series in Japanese and English, but a series like Soul Eater full of little kids is going to strain my ears from all the under-age Japanese voices, regardless if it's a talented seiyuu or not.

I'm am the exact opposite to this. If there is one thing that causes my ears to beg for mercy, it's the sound of 30-something American VAs playing the part of 13 and 14 year old girls.

Negima is a series which I just cannot tolerate in English. Mind you, I also have issues with Negi Van Dyke, the most Welsh character ever in an anime.

chaos said:
unellmay said:
A lazy one?

unellmay said:

Chill out =P

If you never thought an english dub was superior than the original I believe it must be either that you haven't seem enough anime or you are infatuated with japanese. Most hardcore subtitle fans are the latter because it sounds cooler.

And I have no idea who Chiaki Omigawa is and I have never said which anime I prefer english or japanese dub, so you're assuming =P

And if she is dubbing a guy, yes, I would most likely prefer the english dub, provided they use a guy to dub.

BTW - let's not derail this into a sub vs dub wars. not worth it.

Lemme guess COWBOY BEPOP and Full metal alchemist
and its a girl she plays the main character who is a girl

and the last dub I heard Genshiken ugh was so goddamn awful
it made be swear off dubs for possibly ever along with the slayers and eureka 7

Just Passing Through said:
lol.

I'm am the exact opposite to this. If there is one thing that causes my ears to beg for mercy, it's the sound of 30-something American VAs playing the part of 13 and 14 year old girls.

Negima is a series which I just cannot tolerate in English. Mind you, I also have issues with Negi Van Dyke, the most Welsh character ever in an anime.

exactly someone's getting it

You're putting my words in Lupus' mouth! Watch your quotes!

To clarify, I'm on the fence on the dub, sub debate, although I do have my preferences (usually for the original language). I do recognise that many dubs are very good (as good as the original language, even if I choose not to listen to them), and IMO, a very rare few are better than the Japanese track.

unellmay said:
Lemme guess COWBOY BEPOP and Full metal alchemist
and its a girl she plays the main character who is a girl
Never seen the english dub on Cowboy bebop, First time I've seen it was on TV with subs (I'm not from here, mind). Seeing Spike and Faye speaking in english later always seemed alien, so never watched more than a few minutes in english.

The original FMA I've seen both subs and dubs. no particular love / hate for any of them.

unellmay said:
and the last dub I heard Genshiken ugh was so goddamn awful
it made be swear off dubs for possibly ever along with the slayers and eureka 7
I've never said all dubs are good and I've never seen genshiken or Eureka 7. Slayers I prefer in japanese - similar case to Cowboy Bebop. Slayers in portuguese was better than the original though.

unellmay said:
Just Passing Through said:

exactly someone's getting it
JPT also pointed a few english dubs that are better the japanese ones. He also mentioned there are several english dubs on pair with japanese ones.

I'm rather annoyed that it takes them as long to dub the show as it does for the the original creators to make it
first boxset 2010 WTC?

and the end result sounds pretty crappy in the rare case that they actually use new voice actors *cough funimation COUGH*

They get someone who isn't right for the part
turn jokes into crappy unfunny ones
and just take a dump on any half decent shows *COUGH D GRAY MAN*

The only dub I really liked was fccl the english actors emulated the originals almost perfectly as they should always be doing

D.Gray-man the anime was horrible anyway (except the third opening), full of fillers from the START of the series, worse than Naruto. So taking a **** on the dub for the series isn't going to make it seem any better.

As for the "Coming 2010" date, the dubbing procedure is a long one and Funi is basically CARRYING Geneon and ADV right now, so cut them some slack, they license a lot of quality series and can't just rush through them.

Oh and...

unellmay said:
A MAINSTREAMER
Anime: Gurren Lagann? wat?

psyduck.gif

Lupus said:
D.Gray-man the anime was horrible anyway (except the third opening), full of fillers from the START of the series, worse than Naruto. So taking a **** on the dub for the series isn't going to make it seem any better.

As for the "Coming 2010" date, the dubbing procedure is a long one and Funi is basically CARRYING Geneon and ADV right now, so cut them some slack, they license a lot of quality series and can't just rush through them.

Oh and...

unellmay said:
A MAINSTREAMER
Anime: Gurren Lagann? wat?

psyduck.gif

Gurren lagann isn't mainstream
being mainstream to otakus isn't the same as being mainstream
in real life

Pretty sure GL is the mecha version of Naruto which used to be Code Geass. It's a common thing in IRL anime discussions... yet.

unellmay said:
in real life
I'm pretty sure GL is mainstream, but if you say so... Anyway, I like Naruto and Bleach, but I don't get your comment about liking mainstream excludes you to like different stuff.

Are you one of those kids that likes anime because no one else around likes it?

If Gurren Lagann is as successful as Naruto & Bleach I'll eat my shoe (happily).
Unfortunately I'm not sure it'll reach Death Note levels of success here.

chaos said:
unellmay said:
in real life
I'm pretty sure GL is mainstream, but if you say so... Anyway, I like Naruto and Bleach, but I don't get your comment about liking mainstream excludes you to like different stuff.

Are you one of those kids that likes anime because no one else around likes it?

maybe it's kinda mainstream in america but not here and it won't be either

I love naruto and death note but yes I sometimes try and avoid things that are popular

but doesn't everyone?

Usually, I watch dubs most of the time. Mainly because, nowadays, they all sound perfectly acceptable and in some cases (Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and especially, for me at least, Evangelion) are exceptionally good. However, I've been watching a lot of anime from the 80s and the early 90s recently and the dubs done for anime back then were really just horrendously awful in every way.

I do despise the weeaboo idea that Japanese dubs are fundamentally better than English ones. A lot of Japanese stuff (the first GitS movie, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, the Resident Evil games) are dubbed in English first of all anyway, which really negates the idea that the Japanese creators attach any kind of importance to the language in which their shows and movies are seen. Hayao Miyazaki, arguably the best living artist in the field, thinks dubs are important because it's easier to enjoy anime in your native language. In many cases, it doesn't even make sense for the characters in an anime to be speaking Japanese (like in hundreds and hundreds of anime that are set outside of Japan) anyway.

unellmay said:
I love naruto and death note but yes I sometimes try and avoid things that are popular

but doesn't everyone?

Yes, some people do, but they rarely ever admit to the popularity of a show being the deciding factor in why they hate it. Personally, I think that's a really, really stupid thing to do. My favourite anime are among the most popular (Evangelion, Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.). The idiocy of the fanbase for Naruto or Bleach or anything by Kyoto Animation doesn't make those shows any less good (in KyoAni's case, the fact that everything except Haruhi is unabashed moe ******** makes their shows bad).

Back