Dubs vs Subs

If I am watching a dvd or blu-ray I usually go for the sub the first time I watch it. When I watch it again then it will depend what mood I am in/how tired I am.

If I am waching a show/film on tv then either are fine with me - saw Porco Rosso on Film 4 today dubbed for instance.

Beyond watching Ghibli films dubbed, I have also seen Metropolis, Akira and Ghost in the Shell - all have dubs that are as good as the sub.

As for series, I have seen Cyber City OEDO, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, Excel Saga, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Martian Successor Nadesico, The Vision of Escaflowne plus many of the old Manga Entertainment dubs.

If anime is always better in it's original dub, than why did the Japanese voice actor Masako Nozawa for DBZ suck compared to the English voice actor Sean Schemmel.

potsmoker said:
If anime is always better in it's original dub, than why did the Japanese voice actor Masako Nozawa for DBZ suck compared to the English voice actor Sean Schemmel.

That's just an opinion.

Also, there are generally exceptions to basically everything.

Most dubs suck, but ****, Ghost in the Shell SAC is the best. Motoko's VA just kicks ass.

(As does Vegeta's...)

Dracos said:
When I first started watching anime it was only really available subbed, so I was pretty hard core for subs (I don't think I could watch Akiria any other way). But as more dubs came in I could see that sometimes they actually made an effort to pick a cast who worked and suited the characters. Those early Manga Ent dubs are hilarious, adding so much swearing trying to make something edgy. Nowadays I can take or leave subs or dubs, though sometimes the sub is the only way to go. However I do tend to find myself being lazy too often now and switching the dub on straight away. My only real problem with dubs is that they really need to start getting new talent into the industry as I am really starting to get tired of the same cast just moving from one show to the next. That is not to say some of these people are not talented as many can do more than one voice, however there are those that can't and they are just to recognisable to be in every show.
Wow my thoughts exactly

Spyro201 said:
potsmoker said:

That's just an opinion.

Most dubs suck, but F***, Ghost in the Shell SAC is the best. Motoko's VA just kicks ass.

(As does Vegeta's...)

I though her movie sounded Just wrong
the one in show sounded smexy though
not as smexy as her Japanese voice
assuming its the same as the movie version :)

unellmay said:
Spyro201 said:
potsmoker said:

That's just an opinion.

Most dubs suck, but F***, Ghost in the Shell SAC is the best. Motoko's VA just kicks ass.

(As does Vegeta's...)

I though her movie sounded Just wrong
the one in show sounded smexy though
not as smexy as her Japanese voice
assuming its the same as the movie version :)

Ghost in the Shell movies (Excluding SSS) had a different VA to the one who played her in the series (Stand Alone Complex). If that is what you were asking, like.

potsmoker said:

That's just your opinion

Learn to use the Quote button, d00de.

And, it's not opinion. It's fact. Motoko's VA does kick ass.

ilmaestro said:
Yep, I'll be honest again, I still don't know whether you're agreeing with, disagreeing with me, or even talking about the same thing as me (I'm thinking not, since you said "who said i was on about name pronunciation" and that's pretty much all I was talking about).

no, your post before that on the prevoius page, but forget about it now since i'll be wasting time.

in any case yes 10%-20% of the time i would agree, i guess depending on the post production company

@Spyro: yep her names Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and does the voice of Tsunade and Kurenai Yuhi (team 8 captain), while in the movie it was Mimi Wood and the SSS was ocean grouped, so everyone got shuffled

I don't know what the conversation is but going by the thread title, for me it's all about subs! Japanese voice acting is superior to the Western VA in almost every anime. The voices fit the characters so much better than their English speaking counterparts.

otaku010884 said:
I don't know what the conversation is but going by the thread title, for me it's all about subs! Japanese voice acting is superior to the Western VA in almost every anime. The voices fit the characters so much better than their English speaking counterparts.
Unless you're specifically referring to anything Viz Media is involved with, then no.

i think the only reason the jap subs fit the voices better is because they were chosen during produciton, the american companies can only do their best to match up (or after changes, match the changes, like anime where characters genders have been changed). The reverse is true if amercian cartoons are dubbed by japan, the j VAs can't match the american voices.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that all sub tracks are inferior as its not true, Outlaw Star, Ghost in the Shell, Black Lagoon (from what i've seen via clips) these are just few of the shows were the english vocal track can go toe to toe with the japanese. In the end i'm just glad we have a choice, i won't like it if it was soley one or the other, there's pleny of times when i just can't deal with subs (generally down to tiredness and eye problems)

To be perfectly honest, I find that quite a few anime have a superior dub to their sub. GitS SAC is the best example of this. In my opinion anime like GitS SAC and Slayers are made with English audiences in mind. They're pretty universal in appeal.

BlackWolf said:
i think the only reason the jap subs fit the voices better is because they were chosen during produciton, the american companies only do their best to match up (or after changes, match the changes, like anime where characters genders have been changed). The reverse is true if amercian cartoons are dubbed by japan, the j VAs can't match the american voices.

It's not as if they have a whole extra year or anything =/

Maxon said:
To be perfectly honest, I find that quite a few anime have a superior dub to their sub. GitS SAC is the best example of this. In my opinion anime like GitS SAC and Slayers are made with English audiences in mind. They're pretty universal in appeal.

I hope you didn't Just say that the slayers dub is good

unellmay said:
What are you gonna do about it if he did? Post some more BIG RED TEXT at him?

A little friendly advice. Give the "oh no you di'n't!" stuff a rest.

ayase said:
unellmay said:
What are you gonna do about it if he did? Post some more BIG RED TEXT at him?

A little friendly advice. Give the "oh no you di'n't!" stuff a rest.

I can moan about crappy 4 kids dubs all I want

Here's some more advice stop telling me what to do please
your not my parent please don't act like you are

Why are you talking about 4Kids though? i don't believe the Slayers dub was done by them. Although not all 4Kids is bad, i mean i like the Shaman King english opening a lot :p

BlackWolf said:
Why are you talking about 4Kids though? i don't believe the Slayers dub was done by them. Although not all 4Kids is bad, i mean i like the Shaman King english opening a lot :p

All the voice actors are 4kids voice actors
they give similar performance
to what the do in pokemon etc

emotionless even includes a 4 kids style script

it's not 4kids though, it's just north american dubbed.

just like you find with most of MB, right stuff and former CPM. go watch ah my goddess or KujiUn and i spy Veronica Taylor

Back