Dubs vs Subs

BlackWolf said:
i think the only reason the jap subs fit the voices better is because they were chosen during produciton, the american companies can only do their best to match up (or after changes, match the changes, like anime where characters genders have been changed).
It depends on who does the Japanese casting. For anime that's adapted from manga or novels, unless the casting director is the original author (or that they're at least consulted) it's going to be someone else's interpretation of the characters.

I'll request. Can someone ban me? At least I don't have to see Unellmay's post.

Please just broaden your opinions. Or join Crunchyroll and discuss there =/ [I'm really sorry if I didn't ignore this, but the devil was raging inside me]

Lupus said:
Spyro201 said:
Motoko's VA does kick ass.

Spyro201 said:
That's just an opinion.

Erm.

We can both see what i'm getting at.

If we read it in context, it's me saying, there are exceptions, such as, Motoko's VA. That's the problem with picking small parts of quotes ;)

(Plus, I was just winding the guy up. I'm not that stupid to follow up something like "Thats an opinion", while trying to turn my opinion into a fact).

Chrono Mizaki said:

Please just broaden your opinions. Or join Crunchyroll and discuss there =/ [I'm really sorry if I didn't ignore this, but the devil was raging inside me]

um so you enjoy 4kids?

unellmay said:
Chrono Mizaki said:

um so you enjoy 4kids?

The 4kids dub of pokemon was actually quite well acted for the major roles. Veronica Taylor as Ash was particularly good, especially when you remember that she voiced Ash, Ash's Mom, and later, May.

While some do honestly dislike the pokemon dub, a lot of the time the complaints against it come as a bias against 4kids in general, and their policy of cutting the original work to shreds.

Really, if you compare the original dub cast for Pokemon, voiced by 4kids, to the newer one when PokemonUSA took over the rights from 4kids, then you really notice how much better the original cast sounded.

As for the Slayers dub... outside of the core cast members, it isn't anything special. When you look at it though, you need to remember that it was recorded in the 90's, and for its day the dub was pretty good. Obviously it has aged, and a lot of what the people who say the dub is good these days feel is nostalgia, but it is still an enjoyable listen.

It'll be interesting to hear the Slayers: Revolution dub when it's released - especially when you consider that the core cast hasn't changed. I for one will be listening and comparing the two dubs.

Fudce said:
unellmay said:
Doesn't really change the fact that the dub isn't good

Which dub? Slayers, or Pokemon?

Both really
slayers just for bad acting
and pokemon for all the crap they edited out and bad acting
at least now they don't edit in cheese burgers instead of riceballs

unellmay said:
Fudce said:
unellmay said:
Doesn't really change the fact that the dub isn't good

Which dub? Slayers, or Pokemon?

Both really
slayers just for bad acting
and pokemon for all the crap they edited out and bad acting
at least now they don't edit in cheese burgers instead of riceballs

Edits do suck, but edit's aren't a part of the dub, they're a part of the localisation.

The dub is the voice acting and script, and nothing else but the voice acting and script.

I remember one time long ago--maybe 2000--Chris Psaros (of Dragonball Z Uncensored fame) noted Pokemon to have a great dub for its efforts to retain the original Japanese music and possess a sound script. He also lauded 4Kids by saying something along the lines of "these guys take some serious risks in their production of Pokemon". He pointed to their success in retaining the cross in episode 18.

Risks as in the potential for a response from concerned parents, and what not. "Which was the style at the time," Grandpa Simpson underlined, gravely.

Not that what Psaros was saying back then wasn't correct, but--man alive--did I chuckle unremittingly in my sleep when I read it again in 2005.

Good times.

Uppa said:
I remember one time long ago--maybe 2000--Chris Psaros (of Dragonball Z Uncensored fame) noted Pokemon to have a great dub for its efforts to retain the original Japanese music and possess a sound script. He also lauded 4Kids by saying something along the lines of "these guys take some serious risks in their production of Pokemon". He pointed to their success in retaining the cross in episode 18.

Risks as in the potential for a response from concerned parents, and what not. "Which was the style at the time," Grandpa Simpson underlined, gravely.

Not that what Psaros was saying back then wasn't correct, but--man alive--did I chuckle unremittingly in my sleep when I read it again in 2005.

Good times.

Did any of this actually happen? :?

Interestingly, to quite an extent, it did. An interview with Veronica Taylor highlighted that in the early stages of dubbing Pokemon--that is to say, the first 10-20 episodes, or so--extreme care was taken to keep the show true to the original Japanese version--though this isn't the sort of care that would be taken nowadays, but for its time it was a fairly potent effort.

The Japanese music was retained when it played (for the most part, at least; the first episode isn't a good example of this, based on my memory, as it introduces much dub music over the Japanese score) with dub music being used to fill the silences. This is a somewhat widely held view which is rather accurate, and the script--while it isn't overly spectacular today--met with some acclaim back then.

But 4Kids did take some risks. It's the risks they took--rather than those they didn't--that garnered some admiration in those days.

Edit: If you're referring to Psaros's comment, then that also happened, yes. He also professed a fondness for Sailor Moon. Good times.

Uppa said:
...with dub music being used to fill the silences.
Why do they need music to fill in the silences? One of the quickest ways to lower the quality of an anime is to have too much incidental music- though Pokemon might not be the best example, sometimes silence brings out the best in a given scene.

Zin5ki said:
Uppa said:
Why do they need music to fill in the silences? One of the quickest ways to lower the quality of an anime is to have too much incidental music- though Pokemon might not be the best example, sometimes silence brings out the best in a given scene.

One piece

Zin5ki said:
Uppa said:

I'd say that it's likely the same argument 4Kids has historically used: make the show more Western. They would probably point to most American shows as not possessing much silence; my theory is that they had a fear of kids losing interest. I think they still do.

Incidentally, the Pokemon dub now has quite a few scenes with silence. With the Japanese version now easy to view--and the English dub only a matter of weeks behind, or so--it's possible to see how the musical side of things is being handled.

Although clashing with my personal preferences, 4kids' tactics now make perfect sense. Still, their market loves them for it. (DeviantART apparently doesn't.)

Back