dont you just hate it when.........

People expect everyone to celebrate valentines day (even more annoying when you're single). It's just a day with an excuse for people to spend money they don't have, or could be better used buying Anime/Manga.

Valentine's Day is a bizarre thing. When I was single, I ignored it and felt no pressure, and now I'm married and my husband is playing TF2 upstairs while I am playing PS3 on my own. It's just a normal day. I'm not sure who the celebration is meant for, but it's certainly not a demographic I have ever belonged to myself. I actually dislike the day too, because suddenly half of the internet seems to be miserable for no rational reason.

If it makes you feel better, the fujoshi community of Japan have declared it Fundoshi No Hi (loincloth day, it's a play on words of sorts) and spent the day posting celebratory pictures of attractive male characters in loincloths. Rather than being miserable, I recommend taking that kind of jolly approach!

Around here the shops don't even have any Valentine's chocolate out at all, just the ubiquitous Easter eggs which seemed to pop up at the start of January.

R

Rui said:
Valentine's Day is a bizarre thing. When I was single, I ignored it and felt no pressure, and now I'm married and my husband is playing TF2 upstairs while I am playing PS3 on my own. It's just a normal day. I'm not sure who the celebration is meant for, but it's certainly not a demographic I have ever belonged to myself. I actually dislike the day too, because suddenly half of the internet seems to be miserable for no rational reason.

If it makes you feel better, the fujoshi community of Japan have declared it Fundoshi No Hi (loincloth day, it's a play on words of sorts) and spent the day posting celebratory pictures of attractive male characters in loincloths. Rather than being miserable, I recommend taking that kind of jolly approach!

Around here the shops don't even have any Valentine's chocolate out at all, just the ubiquitous Easter eggs which seemed to pop up at the start of January.

R

My valentines day would have been fine if not for the fact i was shot down by a potential girlfriend earlier this morning but i'm gonna get over it eventually :x I didn't actually care about it either until this year when i almost got a girlfriend. I think i'm gonna grow a beard now anyway cause my friend said "bitches love hairy chins". i honestly don't care if shes joking but it'll keep my mind off of what happened today :roll:

daichi383 said:
Rui said:

R

My valentines day would have been fine if not for the fact i was shot down by a potential girlfriend earlier this morning but i'm gonna get over it eventually :x I didn't actually care about it either until this year when i almost got a girlfriend. I think i'm gonna grow a beard now anyway cause my friend said "bitches love hairy chins". i honestly don't care if shes joking but it'll keep my mind off of what happened today :roll:
Hey, at least you asked yours... D:

daichi383 said:
My valentines day would have been fine if not for the fact i was shot down by a potential girlfriend earlier this morning but i'm gonna get over it eventually :x
The constabulary should be informed, I suggest. The National Health also, if warranted by the severity of your injuries.

Zin5ki said:
daichi383 said:
My valentines day would have been fine if not for the fact i was shot down by a potential girlfriend earlier this morning but i'm gonna get over it eventually :x
The constabulary should be informed, I suggest. The National Health also, if warranted by the severity of your injuries.
3211.jpg

If you ask me the single life is the best you can do what ever you want when ever you want with out being nagged by you gf/wife or bf/husband. It's cheap too. Iv never had a gf but I know how a married life is like by watching my mom and dad and it looks like a lot of hard work.

animefreak17 said:
If you ask me the single life is the best you can do what ever you want when ever you want with out being nagged by you gf/wife or bf/husband. It's cheap too. Iv never had a gf but I know how a married life is like by watching my mom and dad and it looks like a lot of hard work.
If only it were that simple :(

Rui said:
I actually dislike the day too, because suddenly half of the internet seems to be miserable for no rational reason.
But of course, "the internet" here is a poor shorthand for "the public" - in this case I feel like the Valentine's Day advertising and such is far more easily avoidable on the internet, but you are more constantly reminded of it on TV or when out shopping.

As for the rationality of it or otherwise, I guess that depends on your view on whether it is rational or not to not want to be single.

Ah, but in the wider world I'm encouraged to believe that some people out there genuinely do celebrate and enjoy the day. Online the veneer is completely gone and it feels at times as though absolutely everyone's either complaining about being alone as though it's suddenly a massive problem or complaining about their significant other and the need for ritual (admittedly a smaller demographic). Whether single or not I've always preferred to ignore the occasion as I don't see the point in the day at all if you don't work for a greetings card company. Thankfully the insanity is now over for another year and the normal background levels of despair have returned ;_;

Though in this case daichi383 has an understandable reason for being down, so a pat on the back is due. Pouring those feelings into growing a beard is somehow awesome.

R

Rui said:
Online the veneer is completely gone and it feels at times as though absolutely everyone's
This has gone up sharply from just half in your previous post! ;)

Working somewhere with a nice spread of single, married, and "ambiguously positioned" guys, I don't think any of us particularly "celebrated" the coming of Valentines Day this year. Some blame the greetings card companies, we were mostly blaming the women who either a) weren't involved with us or b) expected something to be done because it was some random, cold day in February.

Online, literally the only thing that has indicated to me that it was Valentines Day was the direction that this thread has taken.

I clearly need to hang out on less depressing websites! If I had a penny for every bitter "forever alone" comment I'd seen yesterday I'd have been able to import another series this season :s

In the spirit of the thread (and changing the subject), I hate it when my usually-decent ISP has been having major technical issues since Friday and I get 20% packet loss connecting to anything. Not looking forward to trying to pull Brave10 over the dodgy internet tonight, and I had to pause 480p Gintama every few minutes on Monday. Streaming has its drawbacks at times like this.

R

:x OMG I HATE GUYS LIKE THAT ( the type where he surrounded with girls and hes a 100% complete idiotic stupid fool that hasn't got any idea that they all like him)

its rather im jealously or i cant stand how he misses that fact that all the girls like him, either he doesn't notice or hes just gay.

watching infinite stratos *the main male is a freakin idiot*

if it was me id say - girls girls theres plenty of me to go around

animefreak17 said:
:x OMG I HATE GUYS LIKE THAT ( the type where he surrounded with girls and hes a 100% complete idiotic stupid fool that hasn't got any idea that they all like him)

its rather im jealously or i cant stand how he misses that fact that all the girls like him, either he doesn't notice or hes just gay.

watching infinite stratos *the main male is a freakin idiot*

if it was me id say - girls girls theres plenty of me to go around

Or maybe he doesn't actually like any of them romantically and doesn't know how to say no. =P

You know when you watch a long series and youv only gotten so far, Don't you hate it when your curiosity gets the better of you and end up looking up info on a series and you saw some info that spoiled the surprise on what's going to happen.

I know I know I shouldn't of looked it up but I really couldn't help but look,

It like your looking up info on a fav character ( and so far youv only seen eps where he's still alive or he doesn't have any special power yet) and your only looking for the info you only seen so far on the series, but accidentally saw something you wish you didn't see on what's going to happen, and it spoils it

animefreak17 said:
You know when you watch a long series and youv only gotten so far, Don't you hate it when your curiosity gets the better of you and end up looking up info on a series and you saw some info that spoiled the surprise on what's going to happen.

I know I know I shouldn't of looked it up but I really couldn't help but look,

It like your looking up info on a fav character ( and so far youv only seen eps where he's still alive or he doesn't have any special power yet) and your only looking for the info you only seen so far on the series, but accidentally saw something you wish you didn't see on what's going to happen, and it spoils it

I've done that on occasion.

2 other scenarios tend to be looking into a series to see if you want to buy/view and someone has posted a review with a crap ton of spoliers without bothering to warn.

The other is reading any forum, viewing any video or anything you will occasionally come accross someone mentioning some event in a show and you suddenly realise that you've gone a spoliered yourself, particulary as I don't watch shows immediately and tend to pick them up when they are released on DvD/BR. It's not that the person was deliberately spoiling stuff it's just it came up in association with something else.

Back