dont you just hate it when.........

animefreak17 said:
i hate it when they kill off your favourite character while the people who killed them are still alive
As opposed to your favourite character being killed by someone who is dead?

I dont like the strange 'double nose' thing that happens when they try to add shading to a nose by drawing a black line along side it and it goes wrong and makes the character look like they have 2.

^

it doesn't bother me cause i know its the shadow.

i hate how fans of a show put down a character i like e.g.
im a sasuke fan ( yes in a sasuke fan ) and i hate how most people say sasuke is evil now, but the fans are only looking at the oneside of things.

^ what can ya do-

some fans choose characters thats-

they sympathise with them
they can relate to
they kick ass
they have redeeming qualities
ect ect ect

with sasuke it sympathise and kick ass

* Excessive flashbacks - I'm thinking exclusively of Naruto Shippuden, really. They're far too long and frequent and I am impatient. Get to the fighting!

* Fillers - Again, I'm referring solely to Naruto Shippuden. I understand why they exist but man, they're generally hideous. The art, animation and writing standards slip dramatically which makes them a chore to watch. I tend to stay well away but I dared to watch a filler episode a few weeks ago and it was laughable. They used one particular scene three times. The exact same scene. Ew.

* Leaving an amazing series in the lurch - Ai Yazawa, where are you? You may be ill but I need more NANA! Please, get writing soon!

animefreak17 said:
i understand what you mean about the flash backs and filler but i just skip those i like shippuden (sasori fan)

Yeah, I always skip recap episodes. In fact it's worse when it's intermittent recap :p Like in Trigun. They reuse flashbacks a lot and in the recap one the main plot is actually sort of interesting, but you need to keep fast forwarding the flashbacks. At least if it's a whole ep it's just *skip* :p

Going back briefly to the discussion on honorifics, dubs and subtitles.

Personally, I wouldn't want to hear honorifics in the dubs unless absolutely needed by the show for some reason.

Subs it's another story though, and not because I'm being geeky/weeaboo, but because of how the honorifics work. Even with only a vague understanding, they can sometimes give whole new extra levels to conversations that would go missing with them absent. Not always, but it does happen. They also give quite direct clues, hints and otherwise to characters relationships, which again, due to the original medium language, in some cases may well be what the original producers wanted to portray and expect you to be able to pick up.
(A direct example of this is the mostly well done Yakuza 3 [PS3] subtitling. Kazuma is called Kiryu-Chan by one of the other characters, whereas the subtitles translate this as the nickname 'Kazzy'. Could just be me, but the whole -chan suffix for a guy tells me a lot more about thier relationship than 'Kazzy' does.)

In this same context, I also dislike it when the subs say a first name when they've just really obviously been refered to by the last name, it doesn't gel and it just reeks of being lazy/sloppy.
I tend to err on the side of subtitles staying relatively close to the japanese script within reason. I get sometimes things need to be changed/reworded to make a lot more sense or simply to make sense to a western viewer, but I don't like it when stuff is completely changed. That said I don't see the point in leaving in Japanese words in the subs unless there's not really a decent translation, given how different the languages Eng/JP are.

To shorten that down:
Dubs -
no honorifics except when needed.
Feel free to use Western naming order, as you're revoicing it.

Subs -
Use honorifics,
Stick to the JP script within reason, except where it reads much better or makes a lot more sense in English another way.
(I heard series like School Rumble lost a lot in translation because Funi missed the jokes and changed the lines too much in some cases as an example).
Use the SPOKEN name, not the westernised name.

i watched black butler and i found out theres a season 2, which i cant find so -

i hate it when a successful season 1 anime series doesn't get its season 2 release date in the west ( black butler has a season 2 and its awesome )

That's a fair complaint, although if its available or DUE to be available in the US, then it could be bunged under perhaps the wider scoped

"It really grinds my gears that despite the same language and no edits really needed anymore (yes ought to change the region code on the DVD, but that's not a hard task, the actual material itself wouldn't really need much editing), the UK isn't encompassed in the US anime market", with multiregion players the norm more than not, and HDTVs being capable of a large array of refresh rates and res these days, it seems redundant we have to wait for European releases, when most of us are happy enough with the US release.

There's a (I'd imagine not exactly tiny) list of fairly good/big-name anime not available in the UK, but available in the US.

Examples would be Spice and Wolf, Kanon ('06), Toradora! and Clannad.

As far as the fanbase goes, and I mean no disrespect to the UK distributors, but we'd potentially fare better if we were brought under the wing of the US market which we frankly have more in common with than the European market. We can use the same dub, same subs and the vast majority of viewers in the UK will only need the english, and won't even be marginally interested in french/german etc subs. Yeah, technically we're Europe (just, at the rate its going heh), but as far as the interest goes for the average anime viewer goes, we'd be better off being treated as R1/US in this market.

Aye, I'd imagine most of us have nowadays, which is a large part of the point when it comes to my point above.

Although we're (just about) part of Europe, in terms of market interest for the anime sector, we'd be better off treated as a sub-section of US rather than Europe. Most of us have multiregion players, and even fewer of us have TVs incompatible with NTSC material these days.
We don't need (or even in the vast majority want) the vast majority of European required extras like Fr/Ger/Pol/Ita etc subs, and could quite happily exist on US releases rather than really requiring our own part of the Eur market.

The range availability is larger, and we've got more in common with the US market.

animefreak17 said:
i watched black butler and i found out theres a season 2, which i cant find so -

i hate it when a successful season 1 anime series doesn't get its season 2 release date in the west ( black butler has a season 2 and its awesome )
That's because Funimation haven't released it yet, at the moment it's planned for a release in 2012 along with 5 OVAs.

Back