Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Emulsion said:
Just a very minor one. Durarara x2 disc 2 defaults to English audio with the full translation subtitle track rather than English audio with the signs only track like disc 1.

Thanks; I think this is sometimes down to the player but is that the BD or DVD?

R

Emulsion said:
Just a very minor one. Durarara x2 disc 2 defaults to English audio with the full translation subtitle track rather than English audio with the signs only track like disc 1.

I had this same issue and I believe it's on disc 1 too - basically, the default is English dub, but with full English subs enabled at the same time too.

Here's one for the list, which is particularly aggravating.

I recently nabbed a Blu Ray copy of Sword of the Stranger. I was keen to get hold of this in HD, but I was hoping the Blu Ray would correct a subtitle fault I noticed on the DVD. During the final scene, if you're watching the English dub with no subtitles selected, the subtitle track suddenly appears without warning.

This fault is on the Blu Ray as well, with no way of disabling the subs at this point. It's EXTREMELY annoying.

HdE said:

I recently nabbed a Blu Ray copy of Sword of the Stranger. I was keen to get hold of this in HD, but I was hoping the Blu Ray would correct a subtitle fault I noticed on the DVD. During the final scene, if you're watching the English dub with no subtitles selected, the subtitle track suddenly appears without warning.

This fault is on the Blu Ray as well, with no way of disabling the subs at this point. It's EXTREMELY annoying.

I figured I wasn't the only one noticed that. For a moment I thought it was my Blu-ray software making that error. Ah well, wouldn't mind the film being re-released under AL if it happens. :p

The UK BD is out of print and hard to get a hold of these days, fortunately I do own a copy but I could see a reprint being sought after.

HdE said:

The film doesn't actually play without subtitles. It displays a track for signs/Chinese dialogue, but evidently someone fell asleep when it came to editing out the normal subtitled dialogue as shown below... SPOILERS because film dialogue.
[spoilerbutton]
9KfW6Av.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

NormanicGrav said:
I figured I wasn't the only one noticed that. For a moment I thought it was my Blu-ray software making that error. Ah well, wouldn't mind the film being re-released under AL if it happens. :p

I know Andrew has said that it's something he'd like to revisit. I would DEFINITELY be up for a new edition if it fixed this issue, and maybe a little of the blurring in certain action scenes.

It's destined to become a classic movie. I'd have no issue triple dipping on it, so long as it didn't have an insane £30+ price tag.

I'm not sure if anyone else's copies are affected, but I'll say it on here just in case.

On my copy of Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion, you can't switch off the subtitles on the special features. Luckily, you can still switch off the subtitles on the main feature though.

The reason for stating it here is because when people try to switch off subtitles on a feature that has locked subtitles, it would normally come up with "this action is prohibited on this disc", from what I read in various forums as I don't own a copy of any show or film that intentionally has locked subtitles. However, when I tried switching them off on the special features, for some reason, when I press the subtitle button, it still comes with "On/Off" on the screen, meaning that the special features probably weren't meant to have locked subtitles during playback. By the way, they're not hardsubs, as when I rewind or fast forward the special features, the subtitles are not present, meaning that they're still softsubs. And if I'm correct, they're taken from Aniplex of America discs, which (once again) if I'm correct, they don't have locked subtitles on their discs due to their high prices (another way to prevent reverse importation).

Strangely, I never had this problem with the special features on my copies of the first 2 films, Beginning and Eternal.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this is for the Blu-ray release.

Last edited:
They shouldn't have made it to retail as they're a goddamn mess (they were also what we received for review some time ago now), but there are some faulty copies of the delayed Naruto Shippuden Box Set 25 release floating around without any menus or English subtitles that were supposed to have been pulled before hitting customers:

Manga Entertainment on Twitter

To be fair, that release was put together mostly by the French team.
It just seems a bit strange given that the language on the menus is English so some alterations were made to the UK disc. Why not just change the default language whilst you're at it? Given how much Andrew focuses on every(often silly whim) of the community, it seems a bizarre oversight.

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals Collection 1 - DVDs use the TV broadcast materials rather than the home video assets, there's no sign subtitle track if you're watching the English dub, the only song subtitles are in Japanese (courtesy of those TV broadcast assets), and the English subtitles for the Japanese track are big, aliased and ugly even by DVD standards.

All in all, a very low-effort release it seems.

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals Collection 1 - DVDs use the TV broadcast materials rather than the home video assets, there's no sign subtitle track if you're watching the English dub, the only song subtitles are in Japanese (courtesy of those TV broadcast assets), and the English subtitles for the Japanese track are big, aliased and ugly even by DVD standards.

All in all, a very low-effort release it seems.

What's the difference between TV and home versions (besides the usual ad bumpers and sponsor cards)? Rock Lee hasn't had a US home video release, so this one was authored from scratch by Madman Entertainment, and they've been cheaping out of late on menus and the like (remember their So I Can't Play H release?)

What's the difference between TV and home versions (besides the usual ad bumpers and sponsor cards)? Rock Lee hasn't had a US home video release, so this one was authored from scratch by Madman Entertainment, and they've been cheaping out of late on menus and the like (remember their So I Can't Play H release?)

One suspects a "proper" western home video release would also use a westernised version of the show's logo and also create their own opening and ending credits with English language credits and minus the Japanese karaoke text. Compared to the lack of a sign subtitle track, it's a minor niggle.

Back