Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Personally I wouldn't risk watching it through. Once the film is playing the laser shouldn't be moving about like that. Don't know if it's constantly refocusing between layers too but it's putting a lot more strain on the motor than it should be and no doubt more heat too.

I'm not going to watch the film tonight. But is it ok with special features?
Is there something noticeable on screen I would see or only the sound on my player (PS4) that I should hear.

EDIT: Checked most of the special features trailers, more trailers and the making of. All perfectly fine.
So I assume it's just the film but I have not checked on this yet.

Last edited:
I'm not going to watch the film tonight. But is it ok with special features?
Is there something noticeable on screen I would see or only the sound on my player (PS4) that I should hear.
Special features seem fine here, no constant seeking. Just the film seems to be affected.

1NUnCO1.png

I haven't heard from studio canal (emailed Sunday) but I was talking to Amazon earlier and they are no longer selling 'When Marnie Was There' due to a high volume of return requests.

Amazon being Amazon though, the entry still exists and has defaulted to a third party seller.

I wonder if they've started a recall process from HMV etc? I think I saw something saying it was in the Top 10 bestselling video releases this past week, so surprised I haven't seen more complaints - or maybe that's just a sign that the general public mainly just buys DVDs so wouldn't have noticed?

Just got Future D Part 2 from that amazon sale and ALL 13 eps are on one disc? What the eff?

Haven't had a chance to test the disc out yet won't until tomorrow but I'm kinder scared this. This doesn't seem right at all. Unless it's BDXL?

Just got Future D Part 2 from that amazon sale and ALL 13 eps are on one disc? What the eff?

Haven't had a chance to test the disc out yet won't until tomorrow but I'm kinder scared this. This doesn't seem right at all. Unless it's BDXL?

Just because anime is usually spread over two bluray discs, it doesn't necessarily need to be. It's less common with dubbed anime, but it should still be much better than the DVD release.

Just because anime is usually spread over two bluray discs, it doesn't necessarily need to be. It's less common with dubbed anime, but it should still be much better than the DVD release.
For £4 I can't complain at all but I still need to part 1 which seems pretty expensive. Dunno maybe it won't be so bad.

I have samurai jam on blu ray and that's 1 bd50. Looks fine, no noticeable issues with the visuals that detract. Granted it doesn't have a dub too but I don't see why it's not possible.

I know its not technically an anime, but alot of places classify it as one (which I dont really agree with).

The copy protection on The Legend of Korra Book 1 DVDs causes some playback software (VLC and MPC-HC (ones i tried)) unable to play any episode other than the first episode on the disc. This is due to how they authored the disc. For example it starts at chapter 7 then episode 2 is chapter 89 and so on.

I just thought I would warn people incase they do grab it.

Annoyingly, I've yet to have the opportunity to test my copy of When Marnie Was There - as it's locked in the postmaster's safe due to ongoing investigations by them and Royal Mail (basically, it arrived at the other end of the week than expected, delivery not logged and package opened). Which is annoying because although they've refunded my postage, it's going to be so awkward when I ask them to refund the rest of it. Surprised that StudioCanal haven't made a statement about this whole mess yet.

@serpantino - Looks like Amazon are still selling the regular blu-ray; just not the Collector's Edition.

@serpantino - Looks like Amazon are still selling the regular blu-ray; just not the Collector's Edition.

Nah I just checked & it's all third party sellers. Amazon aren't stocking it themselves but are still letting third parties do so, that's why I said Amazon being Amazon. Naturally they don't care about whether people buy it from other companies through them, as long as they get their cut. Amusingly some of them are 'fulfilled by amazon' though which means very little (just that they act as deliverer usually) they certainly don 't count themselves responsible for fulfilled items as I have had a big barney about that in the past when they claimed they weren't responsible for them (I won eventually).

I hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Back