Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Re: Defective UK anime discs

fabricatedlunatic said:
According to the UK Anime review, MVM's release of Iria has mistimed subtitles "throughout the first half". First Mayo Chiki, then Waiting in the Summer, and now Iria. What is going on here?
It's obvious that the Australian distributor is mucking things up.

Why don't people check subtitle tracks before release? T_T

R

Rui said:
Why don't people check subtitle tracks before release? T_T

R

Seems like companies are lazy. They need to be doing more quality control on the master discs they are making, once those go off to the manufacturer we are stuck with what ever errors exist.

No mistimed subtitles on my Media Blasters Iria DVDs.

Besides which, don't Madman (or whoever) produce their own subtitles along with a PAL master? I wonder if PAL speedup has anything to do with it (i.e. someone not adjusting the subtitle timing to the shorter run time).

fabricatedlunatic said:

Besides which, don't Madman (or whoever) produce their own subtitles along with a PAL master? I wonder if PAL speedup has anything to do with it (i.e. someone not adjusting the subtitle timing to the shorter run time).

It's a Siren disc from 2009, and Siren had a lot of issues with subtitles on their first few releases... Clannad and Tower of Druaga spring to mind.

fabricatedlunatic said:
The linked review says "This is seemingly a known issue that originates from the US masters for the show"

fabricatedlunatic said:
I wonder if PAL speedup has anything to do with it (i.e. someone not adjusting the subtitle timing to the shorter run time).
In that case the timing would get worse as the episode progressed, from what I heard the problem is at the start of the episode and gets better.

Shiroi Hane said:
The linked review says "This is seemingly a known issue that originates from the US masters for the show"
I know it does. But that's not correct as the US discs are fine. In any case I don't see how it can be a problem with US masters because it's not as if the subtitles are burnt into the video, and UK/Australian distributors generally produce their own PAL masters (on which they use their own subtitles) for DVD.

Siren would be the prime suspect, then, but the only review of that release I've found mentions nothing about the timing, just the Kaze-esque issue of only one line of dialogue being displayed at a time.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Shiroi Hane said:
I know it does. But that's not correct as the US discs are fine. In any case I don't see how it can be a problem with US masters because it's not as if the subtitles are burnt into the video, and UK/Australian distributors generally produce their own PAL masters (on which they use their own subtitles) for DVD.

Siren would be the prime suspect, then, but the only review of that release I've found mentions nothing about the timing, just the Kaze-esque issue of only one line of dialogue being displayed at a time.

Media Blasters 2004 release had extras and 5.1 Japanese audio.

The Siren disc lacks extras and has 2.0 Japanese stereo, which makes it seem more akin to the 1998 Image Entertainment release in the US. Maybe that had mistimed subs that Media Blasters corrected, but it's the Image Entertainment release that Siren sourced for their own disc.

Gawd, what a mess. It seems the Siren disc is NTSC, which means all they had to do was reprint and repackage the Image disc.

I still can't find any mention of mistimed subtitles on the Image or Siren disc though. Either it happened during the PAL conversion process or the internet is holding out on me.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Gawd, what a mess. It seems the Siren disc is NTSC, which means all they had to do was reprint and repackage the Image disc.

I still can't find any mention of mistimed subtitles on the Image or Siren disc though. Either it happened during the PAL conversion process or the internet is holding out on me.

Nope, the Siren disc is an NTSC-PAL conversion.

Good to hear Is This a Zombie? has no errors or delays regarding the subtitles, which every MVM release has had for a while (except Kids on the Slope and Bakemonogatari [one typo though]).

Where did you hear this? I was going to cancel my pre-order but didn't because I reasoned Is This A Zombie would have a passable (at worst) Funimation dub, but I'd be delighted if the subtitles were free of any major issues.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Where did you hear this? I was going to cancel my pre-order but didn't because I reasoned Is This A Zombie would have a passable (at worst) Funimation dub, but I'd be delighted if the subtitles were free of any major issues.

The MyReviewer that does the anime reviews for UK releases; here

not sure if its defective or been brought up before but i think on my one peice collection 1 the feature running time is wrong i could be wrong tho to

If they are comparing runtimes with the US discs then they will be off by 4% anyway, but the runtimes being "wrong" doesn't give us a lot to go on.

Back