Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Mangaranga said:
Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning

There's no Songs/Signs track (Probably due to using Viz's materials - hence the English credits), but there's also no subtitles at all for the Songs in the subtitle track. This is incredibly disappointing considering Kaze pulled the same thing with the TV series.
I'm not sure if this is the case on Viz Media's release of the movie, but for the TV series they had song translations in the full subtitle track.

EDIT: Two more very minor points, the first is that there's a bunch of PV's and Trailers of varying length in the extras yet only the (slightly humorous) Theater Commercial is subbed. The "World Premiere event" and "Weekly Hero Countdown" are also subbed.
For anyone watching on a PS3, the X Button/directional buttons are disabled during playback, so you'll have to use Start + L2/R2 instead which is a bit of a pain.
This issue also appears with Kaze's discs so it must be to do with how the disc is authored.

Also to expand on the audio options it's English/English with Full Subtitles/Japanese with Full Subtitles, however they are NOT locked.

TL;DR - As a brief explanation as oppose to an excuse, we work with the materials provided - at time of authoring there were no songs/signs track provided by the licensor which means if one existed then Viz did not provide it. Can only work with what we get there frustratingly!

Again for extras - same applies.

AP

anime_andrew said:
Also - nobody has the sign/subs track for Gurren Lagann anymore - which is a huge new problem. Looking into how to fix it now - fun times huh?

I see, so no one kept that asset.

Can't you just take the signs/song track off the original Bandai DVDs or The Beez DVDs? (I think it was Beez that released the DVD over here)

anime_andrew said:
TL;DR - As a brief explanation as oppose to an excuse, we work with the materials provided - at time of authoring there were no songs/signs track provided by the licensor which means if one existed then Viz did not provide it. Can only work with what we get there frustratingly!

Again for extras - same applies.

AP
Viz have only started doing song/sign tracks recently so there definitely isn't one for T&B movie, but they DO include the song subtitles on the full subtitle track which are strangely absent from your track.

Regarding TTGL, could you not just create you own from the existing materials/rip the song/signs track from Bandai's discs? Saying that I have no idea how difficult it is to work with PGS subtitles, nor how the licensor would feel about it.

Subtitles on DVD are image files so they would have to be OCRd. I believe there's DVD ripping software that can do it, but I expect there would be problem getting the correct timecode to work with professional BD software, and even then it would probably need re-timing if the DVDs were sped up.
If the subtitle script is still owned by someone I shouldn't thing there would be a legal problem with using it, as long as the licensor approves the script itself (again).

anime_andrew said:
Ian Wolf said:
Mangaranga said:
I don't think you've any reason to worry about Gurren Lagann. From Andrew's posts I get the impression that he's doing his absolute best to get his hands on as many assets as possible to create the best possible release. I also think that there won't be any video issues as they've had more experience with authoring BDs at this point.

Also, I doubt there should be any problems with the subtitles like there are with Durarara!! - I don't remember there being any issues with Gurren Lagann when it was released by Beez.

Correct to assume not - we also do a 2-pass QC check nowadays - meaning it takes forever but it guarantees a lack of glitching at the very least.

Also - nobody has the sign/subs track for Gurren Lagann anymore - which is a huge new problem. Looking into how to fix it now - fun times huh?

Andrew

The relevant lines for the signs should still be on the fully English subtitled track right? Couldn't they be copied and pasted (for lack of a better phrase since I don't know the process) onto a new track?

There must be a way.

Worried about the upcoming Gurren Lagann set? Not to worry:
Amazon UK review of Durarara!! said:
Gurren Lagann is being authored by Anime Ltd - so we won't go to print until we're 100% happy and may well send a QC out to some fans to check too - just to be safe!

Very best,

Andrew

NormanicGrav said:
Worried about the upcoming Gurren Lagann set? Not to worry:
Amazon UK review of Durarara!! said:
Gurren Lagann is being authored by Anime Ltd - so we won't go to print until we're 100% happy and may well send a QC out to some fans to check too - just to be safe!

Very best,

Andrew
That's from the reply to the three star DRRR review on Amazon isn't it?
Andrew always seems to be there to reply to posts no matter where they are...

Just Passing Through said:
NormanicGrav said:
Minor Defective - Night Raid 1931 ~ DVD

Anime Blu-ray UK:
..even the DVD Discs have a few flaws. For instance in some episodes the screen momentarily flickers while in other episodes the subtitles disappear momentarily, thus leaving you baffled at whats being said. Both instances happen very quickly and throughout the release but you do have to be paying attention to notice. Despite these ‘flaws’ the series does have a few unique features but these only appear in the Japanese audio track.

Episode 1 – 19:47, 25:49
Episode 4 – 19:24, 22:28
Episode 6 – 20:50
Bonus Episode – 19:02, 20:51
Episode 9 – 17:21, 22:27, 23:22

In a review copy I've been sent there are no subtitles at all on the first disc (I don't know about the other two). Thus you have to watch the dub and anything written Japanese or Chinese is left unexplained unless the characters say what it is.

EDIT: Ignore this - it was my Blu-Ray player that was at fault.

SnowWolf said:
The relevant lines for the signs should still be on the fully English subtitled track right? Couldn't they be copied and pasted (for lack of a better phrase since I don't know the process) onto a new track?

Fix is I have all the original Beez DVDs so we'll be lifting the subs from it - which costs more as it takes more effort to do and resynch up but at the end of the day it's worth doing as it wasn't done even on the US release.

Currently going through layer after layer of QC on the TV series just now too for what's been done so far, fun fun fun!

AP

anime_andrew said:
SnowWolf said:

Fix is I have all the original Beez DVDs so we'll be lifting the subs from it - which costs more as it takes more effort to do and resynch up but at the end of the day it's worth doing as it wasn't done even on the US release.

Currently going through layer after layer of QC on the TV series just now too for what's been done so far, fun fun fun!

AP

There was an issue with subtitles from the earlier releases of the 2nd Part Beez release, this might need your attention.

And regarding the signs only track, wouldn't it be easier to use the english subtitle track for the Japanese dub and take out the main dialogue? Or I'm going to presume it's way more complicated.

anime_andrew said:

AP
Would lifting from the US Bandai discs be better? I'm assuming they would be easier to retime due to not having been sped up for PAL.
I do have the US Anime Legends set if that would make things easier.

anime_andrew said:

Nice to hear. Thanks for the extra effort you are putting into this. If this means the release date gets pushed back, so be it. It will be worth it.

Emulsion said:
anime_andrew said:

Nice to hear. Thanks for the extra effort you are putting into this. If this means the release date gets pushed back, so be it. It will be worth it.

Hopefully un-needed but we'll see - we have some time yet before we have to look at delays!

AP

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:

AP
Would lifting from the US Bandai discs be better? I'm assuming they would be easier to retime due to not having been sped up for PAL.

Possibly! Let my studio take a looksie first in case it's an easy job but that may well be a point.

I'm also extremely tempted to open QC up if any fans / reviewers want to help on this one as a test case on this one. Doesn't mean we won't do a battery of QC but some other eyes help sometimes.

AP

NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:
SnowWolf said:

AP

There was an issue with subtitles from the earlier releases of the 2nd Part Beez release, this might need your attention.

And regarding the signs only track, wouldn't it be easier to use the english subtitle track for the Japanese dub and take out the main dialogue? Or I'm going to presume it's way more complicated.

We're only lifting the signs track - we're creating subtitles using the Aniplex BD master outside of that (they sent us a deliciously usable version of every episode, which is great).

Also just received huge revisions for design - but it's positive stuff in a way as it resulted in being sent a lot of assets used on the Japanese release, which helps us create a very nice experience for you guys!

Best,

AP

anime_andrew said:
Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:

AP

Possibly! Let my studio take a looksie first in case it's an easy job but that may well be a point.

I'm also extremely tempted to open QC up if any fans / reviewers want to help on this one as a test case on this one. Doesn't mean we won't do a battery of QC but some other eyes help sometimes.

AP

I'm so looking forward to this release. I'm sure it will end up being excellent. Have my set on pre-order. I'd be happy to help out f you do decide to open QC up to fans! :)

anime_andrew said:
We're only lifting the signs track - we're creating subtitles using the Aniplex BD master outside of that (they sent us a deliciously usable version of every episode, which is great).

Also just received huge revisions for design - but it's positive stuff in a way as it resulted in being sent a lot of assets used on the Japanese release, which helps us create a very nice experience for you guys!

Best,

AP

Well done Andrew!

So the studio was not happy huh? Hope that won't cause you too much aggro.

anime_andrew said:
I'm also extremely tempted to open QC up if any fans / reviewers want to help on this one as a test case on this one.
AP

I'm happy to help Andrew. I'm sure you know by now that I'm pretty good at picking up subtitle errors.

Back