Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like if it's okay to bash someone for a political viewpoint they hold, it's okay to do the same regarding their religious beliefs. This idea religion is not to be criticised because it's somehow "above" other beliefs has always seemed really stupid to me.
Yay to that. I mean, what is religion other than a legally recognised set of superstitions?
I just dislike religion in general in an old-school "opiate of the masses" way and consider all of them to be divisive control systems and shams that should be able to be criticised without those doing the criticising branded hate mongers.
If only people focussed more on what's happening around them in the here and now rather than on what's (not) going to happen to them after they die, the world would function much better, in my view.
I'm a devout atheist
I don't even like the term "atheist". It's a religious term implying that something is missing.

Google definition: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
If you must brand me something, call me a Darwinist.

The great British Brexit robbery: how our democracy was hijacked

This is worth reading. It's an expansion on earlier released details that the referendum was manipulated by data firms with global links/aspirations.

Yes, it sounds like something from a Metal Gear Solid game but give it a read. Would seem Brexit and Trump woke the wider world up to where this was headed.
It is an interesting read, but I feel like it's just the same kind of thing that's always been going on, just being done in a new way due to the advancement of technology and social media. The military-industrial-complex has just become the military-industrial-media complex, or perhaps the military-industrial-data complex.

In Britain, we still trust our government. We respect our authorities to uphold our laws. We trust the rule of law. We believe we live in a free and fair democracy.
imgur is down so I can't link it, but
*gif of Bender from Futurama saying "Oh wait, you're serious, let me laugh ever harder" goes here*

This is Britain in 2017. A Britain that increasingly looks like a “managed” democracy. Paid for by a US billionaire. Using military-style technology. Delivered by Facebook. And enabled by us.
So not really that much different from Britain at any other time since the end of WWII.

I don't even like the term "atheist". It's a religious term implying that something is missing.

Google definition: a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
If you must brand me something, call me a Darwinist.

In my case I prefer the cold anonymity of atheism to taking the name of a fallible human (however important) into my belief system. I get quite upset about people who react to me being an atheist by assuming I read the works of some fellow named Dawkins; it feels like they're trying to turn my (lack of) belief itself into a creed. My only rule is to go with whatever I think makes sense at the time and I don't mind what other atheists get up to!

Strangely despite not believing a word of any of it I'm quite interested in religion, taking extra elective classes about it back at school and continuing to check things out in later life. I'll never take to it myself, but for me it's interesting to know as much as possible about the other side nonetheless to help try to work out why people are so darn complicated to understand.

R

I have got to stop reading this thread. Everytime I do I end up having to pick up my 12 string and play 'when the man comes around' by Johnny Cash because Brexit is clearly the first significant step in end of the world :p. On the plus side I've pretty much mastered Cash's quirky strumming pattern from the song so thanks Brexit!

Tories won't be prosecuted for electoral fraud because Tories told them nothing is wrong.

I know most of you have written me off as a quack, but **** it. This country is crooked and broken.

The plans will allow Britain to become "the global leader in the regulation of the use of personal data and the internet", the manifesto claims.
When you're actually putting in your manifesto something even dictatorships don't like to admit to doing, something has gone horribly wrong. Yes, let's become the global leader in restriction of personal freedom!

Two more years of education and I... am... outta here. Even Russia is starting to look more appealing than Theresa "Big Brother" May's vision for society.

I think what's terrifying are the members of the general public cheering her on.

There's a huge portion of Brexit voters who crow we defeated fascism. Yet put it in an election and they gleefully vote for it.

Radical on the campaign trail, status-quo maintaining moderate in office. Happens every time.

Tells you something about who actually runs our countries.
vRyRLHm.jpg

People often come up with campaign promises that either can't be kept or would be stupid to try to keep. Anyone who is actually knowledgable about the subject would be able to tell them this, but the vast majority of people don't actually know about any given topic, so things that sound good will inevitably be more vote-winning than things that actually are good. As such it's often actually a good thing when politicians change their tune between the campaign and their government, even this is unpopular with the voters.
Coming up with catchy slogans that are disconnected from reality is and always will be far easier than helping people to actually understand how things work, convinces far more people, and wins far more votes, so the side that many politicians would be more willing to sacrifice is actually the "doing what is right" side of things - especially if the negative side effects are many years in the future.
Not to mention that the politicians often don't have a proper understanding of the topic/s either. You can generally count the number of MPs with in-depth knowledge of a given subject - even important ones - on your hands, and usually don't need to use both in order to do it. And being knowledgable about an important subject doesn't stop them losing their seats.

So the situation is bound to continue, even with the downsides it brings, the most significant of which is loss of trust.

The rise of politicians who have mounted successful campaigns on the basis of telling or hinting to people that they shouldn't listen to the people who actually do know what they're talking about (like Gove in the Brexit campaign, but there are plenty of others - see basically every politician who is openly a Climate Change denialist, for instance) can only make matters far worse, particularly if they continue to hold this view while in office.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back