Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gives google the right to decide what is fake news they them selves where caught out during the election suppressing bad news about hilary. The New York time deliberately lied and edited a video about pewdiepie to get his sponsors to drop him, Germany is putting pressure on social media to delete so called fake news. What we have here is left wing establishment trying limit the information that people can access in order to suppress any opposition to there rule if Hilary had won the election none of this so called fake news censoring would be happening.

Last edited:
What's this country I'm living in where rapists are always punished and we always treat vulnerable people right? This smugness when looking down on other cultures is really damaging efforts to make our own suck less. We have massive headlines about systemic rape problems in the UK (affecting men too, and even British-born white people who are unaffected by the racism claims) and yet as soon as stats are published elsewhere we're rushing to Muslim majority countries, Sweden, basically anywhere else and sneering at them for being unable to control their randy men around women.

All of the media is dishonest and run by people with their own biases, conscious or unconscious. Assuming that your negative perception of the 'mainstream' media is wholly unbiased makes no sense whichever way around your political goals lie.

R
I wasn't sneering I was criticizing that government for poor handling of the syrian refugees there inability to integrate them into swedish society has led to a rise in sexual crimes against women what's worse is there totalitarian approach to crushing any criticism about said problem. But I acknowledge that the uk has many problems to and that my views are biased and influenced by external factors just like every other human being in the world.

What gives google the right to decide what is fake news they them selves where caught out during the election suppressing bad news about hilary. The New York time deliberately lied and edited a video about pewdiepie to get his sponsors to drop him, Germany is putting pressure on social media to delete so called fake news. What we have here is left wing establishment trying limit the information that people can access in order to suppress any opposition to there rule if Hilary had won the election none of this so called fake news censoring would be happening.

Erm, the PewDiePie thing was the Wall Street Journal, not the NYT.

Maybe it's just me, but your hatred of the "mainstream media" seems almost as confused and biased as you claim their coverage is...

Erm, the PewDiePie thing was the Wall Street Journal, not the NYT.

Maybe it's just me, but your hatred of the "mainstream media" seems almost as confused and biased as you claim their coverage is...
Yeah I meant to say the wall street journal my bad, you could well be right but equally your hatred toward the daily mail could be seen as biased

Yeah I meant to say the wall street journal my bad, you could well be right but equally your hatred toward the daily mail could be seen as biased
Except I only dislike the Daily Mail and Fox News, I'll still read the Telegraph, Washington Post and Sky News. I'm more than willing to read reputable right-wing sources. The Daily Mail and Fox News have not proved themselves as such.

I wasn't sneering I was criticizing that government for poor handling of the syrian refugees there inability to integrate them into swedish society has led to a rise in sexual crimes against women

Do people say that because they actually care about women, or because they're using our natural feelings of outrage on behalf of women as a manipulative tool to further an agenda and smear entire cultures based on the actions of a tiny criminal minority, while at the same time supporting openly sexist leaders and policies?

Are British victims of British rapists grateful that their plights are just a footnote to attempt to make a xenophobic stance appear more measured, rather than serious issues deserving of our full attention?

Do you know how many times I've been told I should be raped or been the target of unwanted sexual advances in my life, even as a relatively privileged person who seldom goes outdoors and who has never set foot in Sweden? We have so many problems of our own that fretting about the actions of a few people in Sweden seems utterly, utterly irrelevant.

The same goes for the anti-hijab police who want to ban women (and of course it's only women) from wearing cloth headwraps, to protect the freedom of women. Wow, that sounds logical. Why don't we talk about why our enlightened society fails to see the irony of the situation before we talk about how poor oppressed foreign people need to take off their headscarves and embrace our broken society?

R

I wasn't sneering I was criticizing that government for poor handling of the syrian refugees there inability to integrate them into swedish society has led to a rise in sexual crimes against women

Citation needed. Sweden's rape figures have been high for a long time, largely because of differences from other countries in how they are counted and (for the past decade or so) what is considered "rape". In 2015, the year in which Sweden saw its largest influx of refugees from Syria, the number of rapes dropped to the lowest level since 2008.

Citation needed. Sweden's rape figures have been high for a long time, largely because of differences from other countries in how they are counted and (for the past decade or so) what is considered "rape". In 2015, the year in which Sweden saw its largest influx of refugees from Syria, the number of rapes dropped to the lowest level since 2008.
Then they increased in 2016 so did sexual molestation

Then they increased in 2016 so did sexual molestation

Can I have a source for the 2016 figures? I wasn't able to find them with a quick search.

It would have to be a pretty big increase to give any meaningful positive correlation between number of refugees and amount of abuse of women, though, what with the two figures going strongly in opposite directions the previous year.

Last edited:
Can I have a source for the 2016 figures? I wasn't able to find them with a quick search.

It would have to be a pretty big increase to give any meaningful positive correlation between number of refugees and amount of abuse of women, though, what with the two figures going strongly in opposite directions the previous year.

According to this report of the preliminary1 figures, released well before the controversy of the day, the data is (reported crime figures):

• Rape:
    • 2014: 6,700
    • 2015: 5,920
    • 2016: 6,560 (10.8% increase from 2015, 2% decrease from 2014)
  • Sexual molestation:
    • 2014: 9,640
    • 2015: 8,840
    • 2016: 10,500 (18.7% increase from 2015, 8.9% increase from 2014).

Do people say that because they actually care about women, or because they're using our natural feelings of outrage on behalf of women as a manipulative tool to further an agenda and smear entire cultures based on the actions of a tiny criminal minority, while at the same time supporting openly sexist leaders and policies?

Are British victims of British rapists grateful that their plights are just a footnote to attempt to make a xenophobic stance appear more measured, rather than serious issues deserving of our full attention?

Do you know how many times I've been told I should be raped or been the target of unwanted sexual advances in my life, even as a relatively privileged person who seldom goes outdoors and who has never set foot in Sweden? We have so many problems of our own that fretting about the actions of a few people in Sweden seems utterly, utterly irrelevant.

The same goes for the anti-hijab police who want to ban women (and of course it's only women) from wearing cloth headwraps, to protect the freedom of women. Wow, that sounds logical. Why don't we talk about why our enlightened society fails to see the irony of the situation before we talk about how poor oppressed foreign people need to take off their headscarves and embrace our broken society?

R
I like to think the vast majority people actually care about woman but there will always be people who will use it to further there agenda as for the Burka I believe it's actually not mentioned in the Quran and is actually banned in mecca the most holy place to a Muslim but clearly governments like Germany are using it for polictal gain I personally think they should let men where them.

Except I only dislike the Daily Mail and Fox News, I'll still read the Telegraph, Washington Post and Sky News. I'm more than willing to read reputable right-wing sources. The Daily Mail and Fox News have not proved themselves as such.
And that's why your ignorant you can't truly know what's in a book unless you read the whole thing

And that's why your ignorant you can't truly know what's in a book unless you read the whole thing
No. I shan't be reading newspapers with reputations for bending the truth too and beyond breaking point. If the right wing cannot get their points across in a manner that is entirely (or mostly) factual, then their points are wrong.

I trust news organisations like Sky News and the Telgraph and the Times to be mostly factual as they have a proven track record of being so. I do not trust the Daily Mail and Fox News, because they have a proven reputation as liars. Clearly I'm just ignorant...

I like to think the vast majority people actually care about woman but there will always be people who will use it to further there agenda as for the Burka I believe it's actually not mentioned in the Quran and is actually banned in mecca the most holy place to a Muslim but clearly governments like Germany are using it for polictal gain I personally think they should let men where them.

Oh, I'm reasonably sure that most people think they care about women, but how that translates into action is a very different kettle of fish. I'm sure all of the people making rape jokes and sexist comments in games and anime communities all very much like the idea of women too. From my experience, the thirstiest girl-chasers are the first ones in line to make the female members feel unwelcome.

I was talking about the hijab, a garment so harmless that my long-dead non-Muslim aunties would have been happy to have worn it out shopping at the seaside, but whatever, let's go with the burka too. Mecca is irrelevant. Orthodox religious people of all flavours (very much including orthodox Christians) are notorious for having stricter rules than less orthodox worshippers - you'll find there are places in so-called civilised countries which block women from entering entirely or make them follow special dress rules for religious reasons. Not sure why only Islam gets to be demonised for acting exactly the same way and having a similarly broad spectrum of beliefs in its ranks, and why individual women are judged for following their personal religious beliefs in a way they're comfortable with, even if it's too strict for the majority.

Incidentally, a lot of women who wear concealing dress in the UK are doing it because they don't trust the locals not to mess with them as much as their own men. I don't blame them.

By all means criticise oppression, for everyone, but telling people what they can and cannot wear is just as oppressive when it's done by non-Muslims. Banning a harmless piece of clothing is just as oppressive as enforcing the wearing of a piece of clothing. It's all just a tool to make western newspaper-readers think that we're liberating these people from a cruel regime, when from many accounts it sounds a lot like we're simply inflicting our own equally-crummy regime on them without being asked.

R

No. I shan't be reading newspapers with reputations for bending the truth too and beyond breaking point. If the right wing cannot get their points across in a manner that is entirely (or mostly) factual, then their points are wrong.

I trust news organisations like Sky News and the Telgraph and the Times to be mostly factual as they have a proven track record of being so. I do not trust the Daily Mail and Fox News, because they have a proven reputation as liars. Clearly I'm just ignorant...
What about the HSBC scandal the Telegraphs reputation wasn't so proven then

What about the HSBC scandal the Telegraphs reputation wasn't so proven then

Newspapers make mistakes, it's inevitable.

It is not inevitable that they will continuously and frequently lie and mislead to their audiences, as the Daily Mail and Fox News has.

I will forgive genuine mistakes, I will not forgive the genuine attempts to mislead and lie that the Daily Mail and Fox News perform.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm reasonably sure that most people think they care about women, but how that translates into action is a very different kettle of fish. I'm sure all of the people making rape jokes and sexist comments in games and anime communities all very much like the idea of women too. From my experience, the thirstiest girl-chasers are the first ones in line to make the female members feel unwelcome.

I was talking about the hijab, a garment so harmless that my long-dead non-Muslim aunties would have been happy to have worn it out shopping at the seaside, but whatever, let's go with the burka too. Mecca is irrelevant. Orthodox religious people of all flavours (very much including orthodox Christians) are notorious for having stricter rules than less orthodox worshippers - you'll find there are places in so-called civilised countries which block women from entering entirely or make them follow special dress rules for religious reasons. Not sure why only Islam gets to be demonised for acting exactly the same way and having a similarly broad spectrum of beliefs in its ranks, and why individual women are judged for following their personal religious beliefs in a way they're comfortable with, even if it's too strict for the majority.

Incidentally, a lot of women who wear concealing dress in the UK are doing it because they don't trust the locals not to mess with them as much as their own men. I don't blame them.

By all means criticise oppression, for everyone, but telling people what they can and cannot wear is just as oppressive when it's done by non-Muslims. Banning a harmless piece of clothing is just as oppressive as enforcing the wearing of a piece of clothing. It's all just a tool to make western newspaper-readers think that we're liberating these people from a cruel regime, when from many accounts it sounds a lot like we're simply inflicting our own equally-crummy regime on them without being asked.

R
Totally agree men and women should be able to where what they want no argument there.

Newspapers make mistakes, it's inevitable.

It is not inevitable that they will continuously and frequently lie and mislead to their audiences, as the Daily Mail and Fox News has.

I will forgive genuine mistakes, I will not forgive the genuine attempts to mislead and lie that the Daily Mail and Fox News perform.
It wasn't a mistake it was on purpose and if you think it's just the daily mail and Fox news that lie to there readers your mistaken

It wasn't a mistake it was on purpose and if you think it's just the daily mail and Fox news that lie to there readers your mistaken
I don't think only the Daily Mail and Fox News lie to the readers, but I'm still not going to watch those obnoxious ****** deliberately lying newssources. I have far more dignity and self-respect.

And that's what it is, I respect myself and others enough to choose publications that mostly tell the truth, you do not.

I don't think only the Daily Mail and Fox News lie to the readers, but I'm still not going to watch those obnoxious ****** deliberately lying newssources. I have far more dignity and self-respect.

And that's what it is, I respect myself and others enough to choose publications that mostly tell the truth, you do not.
If you don't read the newspaper your uninformed if you do read it your misinformed - Denzel Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back