Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only tangentially relevant, but it's interesting to note that the CPS has formally been asked to investigate claims that Vote Leave and Leave.EU used “assertions of fact that were knowingly misleading” in their campaigns, which could lead to a charge of undue influence. Amongst the comments they claim were knowling misleading is the claim that the EU was costing £350m a week, which was used many times, despite the objections of the UK Statistics Authority. The Guardian says that the letter also complains about suggestions Turkey is joining the EU and that the UK has no border defence as part of the EU. They say other cases, such as the "punishment budget" were considered, but as statements of opinion were unlikely to meet the test for undue influence.

They also stress that this would not affect the result of the referendum in any way or prevent the UK from leaving the EU. Though parliament would have to decide whether the results were "democractically safe".

Last edited:
They may as well investigate every election in the last 100 years if were talking about the public being mislead. that's what politician's do.

They may as well investigate every election in the last 100 years if were talking about the public being mislead. that's what politician's do.

There's a difference between misleading and outright lying, though. It is the latter that the leave campaign is accused of.

Anyway, going back to the original, albeit long-forgotten, original purpose of the thread... the pound is now going up very slightly against the dollar for the worst possible reasons.

Although it also shows that the markets see Brexit as vastly worse for the pound than they see a Trump victory as being for the dollar.

Anyway, going back to the original, albeit long-forgotten, original purpose of the thread... the pound is now going up very slightly against the dollar for the worst possible reasons.

Although it also shows that the markets see Brexit as vastly worse for the pound than they see a Trump victory as being for the dollar.

Unfortunately this turn of events has also caused a drop in the Pound vs Yen, it'd actually been slowly recovering the last week or so but the dollar has slid dragging everyone else with it.

-edit-

Hey look at that, end of the day and the £'s recovered and gained a decent amount vs the Yen, maybe my nightmare November figure orders will be smooth sailing. £vs$ is still looking a bit sad, but a small gain atm.

Last edited:
There's a difference between misleading and outright lying, though. It is the latter that the leave campaign is accused of.

I highlighted the key point there for you guy

Well that's highly convenient isn't it? considering gold was up, now it's plummeted yet the Dow has gone completely opposite

I highlighted the key point there for you guy

Are you trying to insinuate that they didn't?

The gold situation, like the Dow Jones, was at first affected by Trump win = crisis of confidence, before recovering sharply as Trump rapid-fire abandoned campaign positions that the markets were afraid of. As for why the pound is still up against the dollar on the pre-election period, this offers a reasonable explanation: Buying Euro and Dollar rates surge following Trump’s election (Joshua Privett)

Am I wrong to have gotten excited because the pound was 'back up' $1.27-ish when TRSI mailed out my last order?

ikr, when I saw it had climbed slightly I was excited for a second, only to then remember that it's still lower than what it was the morning after the vote. I'm hopeful that once the conservatives lose the appeal that it may climb to about 1.30 ish.

Jeremy Corbyn’s plan to copy Trump’s playbook

Corbyn reportedly agrees to a Trump/Vote Leave inspired rebranding in which he'll promote himself through infamy and emotion over facts.

How does anyone believe this clown is a noble outsider?
I'm not a Labour supporter but the fact they've had to badger him into doing this, when really it's something anybody power hungry would have been doing months ago, probably does distinguish him from other politicians.

Labour will probably benefit substantially from thus should they pull it off, but I guess Corbyn runs the risk of alienating his fans if he changes too much.

I'm not a Labour supporter but the fact they've had to badger him into doing this, when really it's something anybody power hungry would have been doing months ago, probably does distinguish him from other politicians.

Labour will probably benefit substantially from thus should they pull it off, but I guess Corbyn runs the risk of alienating his fans if he changes too much.

The fact he's even considering this has a whiff or desperation about it.

I don't really see this as poor Corbyn being told to change his images. For one, when Remain Labour voters ask "But aren't you going to challenge the lies that swung Brexit?", he always goes to "We had a vote, respect it". That's the Tory line and ignores what a number of his supporters are pointing out.

Corbyn isn't the victimised grandpa his supporters make him out to be. No more than Theresa May genuinely cares for those relying on foodbanks and other aid.

The fact he's even considering this has a whiff or desperation about it.
Clearly Labour are struggling right now, and the stupid British public is blindly sleepwalking into fascism at the hands of the Tories, so what real harm will it do?

I don't really see this as poor Corbyn being told to change his images. For one, when Remain Labour voters ask "But aren't you going to challenge the lies that swung Brexit?", he always goes to "We had a vote, respect it". That's the Tory line and ignores what a number of his supporters are pointing out.

Corbyn isn't the victimised grandpa his supporters make him out to be. No more than Theresa May genuinely cares for those relying on foodbanks and other aid.
At this point, it's not worth it. You won't change anything and it just sours the public's opinion.

Yes, he should be doing more to push for 'soft Brexit' but trying to stop it at this point is dangerous and foolish. Leave it to the Lib Dems.

bPQ3OG8.jpg

I can't honestly fault May's stance. "Do you really want to screw us if it means screwing yourselves?" is the smart move from a position of strength. It's the EU that's between a rock and a hard place right now, not the UK - If they try to screw us over, we're just going to negotiate trade deals with non-EU countries and lower our corporate tax rates to give us and edge and prove how restrictive being part of the EU was to individual economies, probably increasing anti-EU sentiment within Europe. If they give us a good deal other countries are going to wonder why there's even any point being a member... probably increasing anti-EU sentiment within Europe.

Not that it isn't already increasing by itself anyway. When you look at the opinion polls elsewhere in Europe and you see the anti-EU parties (both left and right) just gaining and gaining, I think it shows the EU's time is about done - Headed the way of the Kalmar Union and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. And while the people whose jobs depend on the EU have my sympathies (as did people whose jobs depended on the steel industry - Nobody helped them), I don't think it will change very much in the long term. We'll get some new coins and go back to showing our passports at the borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back