Crunchyroll's Spring 2012 New Show Announcements...

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
They're starting early with the announces...

First is

Hiiro no Kakera

“One day, Tamaki Kasuga decides to move to her grandmother's house, away from her family, out in a remote village. However, the real reason why Tamaki is called to the village is to continue a mysterious ancestral duty and mission. As her destiny starts to unfold, will she be able to stand strong against the forces before her…”

will be available in the UK from March 5th

Incidentally this year's Shinkai Day takes place between March 9th and 11th with the usual suspects streaming...

5 Centimeters Per Second begins with the lyrical image of cherry blossoms falling at five centimeters a second, painting a breathtaking vivid tableau of young love, desire, loss, and hope. Told in three heartbreaking chapters, we follow the young dreamer Takaki through his life as cruel winters, cold technology, silence, and, finally, adult obligations and responsibility converge to crush the delicate petals of true love.

Voices of a Distant Star follows Mikako who joins the interstellar battle as a pilot leaving behind her love Noboru, only maintaining her connection to him through text messages sent from her mobile phone. And while she barely grows older in the timelessness of space Noboru ages creating this scenario with two lovers, worlds apart, desperately strive to remain connected as the gap between them widens at a frightening pace.

Place Promised in our Early Days traces two friends and two passions: the plane they built together, christened Bela Cielo, and a girl: Sayuri. Oblivious to environment around them, the three create an indelible bond and nothing can ever come between them. However as time passes, war escalates, friends become enemies, and alliances change, Sayuri becomes the key to a new world peace...or a frightening and bitter end to life as we know it.

You know, when I see that write-up for 5cm Per Second, I'm truly grateful I've never seen it. It makes it sound miserable as sin.

HdE said:
You know, when I see that write-up for 5cm Per Second, I'm truly grateful I've never seen it.
How heartless of you. I hope your debit card temporarily fails to register when you next attempt to use a Chip and PIN reader at a supermarket checkout, thereby causing you minor embarrassment.

Next up is Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos...

Based on the light novel by Manta Aisora with illustrations by Koin, Nyarko-san is heavily inspired by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, creator of the famed Cthulhu Mythos that have become one of the foundations of the SF and horror genres.

Here’s the official synopsis:

“The ordinary becomes extraordinary, as our protagonist Mahiro Yasaka – an average high school student – suddenly encounters a Nyarlathotep: a formless Cthulhu deity of chaos, who decides to take form as a silver-haired human-like alien. This Nyarlathotep – aptly named Nyarko – may seem like a normal gal, but there’s much more to her than meets the eye! In their encounters together, she ends up saving Mahiro's life, inextricably tying their lives together…”

As for distribution plans:

“Prior to simulcasting the new season, Crunchyroll will release the first five (5) episodes from season one (1) today at 2PM PST. The subsequent four (4) episodes will be available the following week until the completion of season two (2). More information can be found on www.crunchyroll.com/crawling.

After the final episodes of season two (2) have been broadcasted, Crunchyroll will begin simulcasting season three (3) on its site this April.”

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos will be available worldwide except for Asia.

HdE said:
You know, when I see that write-up for 5cm Per Second, I'm truly grateful I've never seen it. It makes it sound miserable as sin.
Nobody watches Shinkai's stuff for the plot. It's all about the pretty looking scenery and backgrounds.

MaxonTreik said:
HdE said:
Nobody watches Shinkai's stuff for the plot. It's all about the pretty looking scenery and backgrounds.

I think his most recent film (Children Who Chase Lost Voices... why do they translate his titles to overly wordy ones anyway?) was more plot than pretty this time, and I did enjoy the plot of 5cm per second until the last 5 minutes. It's one of my favourite anime films.

Leiji Matsumoto's "OZMA"

Now this is one that interests me...

Following the news that Leiji Matsumoto's OZMA anime is set to be streamed worldwide, Crunchyroll has announced the addition of the six-episode series to its anime lineup, starting this Saturday at 8:00am PDT.

OZMA will be available worldwide outside of Asia.

Synopsis:

The show unfolds on an arid and devastated future Earth, and involves the mysterious, giant and moving ‘“OZMA.’” An epic space opera that entwines exciting sci-fi action and a suspenseful story, anime godfather Leiji Matsumoto tackles the ultimate questions of life and existence.”

News just in, and news that I was expecting...

Asobi ni Ikuyo: Bombshells From The Sky, which was licensed by Funimation as Cat Planet Cuties, and which dub they have been trumpeting lately, is coming off Crunchyroll for the Rest Of The World, and from March 31st will gradually become US only.

I recently watched it for just that reason, and it's a surprisingly entertaining, if average harem fan service show.

So from March 31st, eps 1 & 2 will be US only, and expect the rest to go the same way in due course.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if Manga licence it.

Zin5ki said:
HdE said:
You know, when I see that write-up for 5cm Per Second, I'm truly grateful I've never seen it.
How heartless of you. I hope your debit card temporarily fails to register when you next attempt to use a Chip and PIN reader at a supermarket checkout, thereby causing you minor embarrassment.

Put down of the year XD

Just Passing Through said:
Next up is Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos...

Based on the light novel by Manta Aisora with illustrations by Koin, Nyarko-san is heavily inspired by the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, creator of the famed Cthulhu Mythos that have become one of the foundations of the SF and horror genres.

Here’s the official synopsis:

“The ordinary becomes extraordinary, as our protagonist Mahiro Yasaka – an average high school student – suddenly encounters a Nyarlathotep: a formless Cthulhu deity of chaos, who decides to take form as a silver-haired human-like alien. This Nyarlathotep – aptly named Nyarko – may seem like a normal gal, but there’s much more to her than meets the eye! In their encounters together, she ends up saving Mahiro's life, inextricably tying their lives together…”

As for distribution plans:

“Prior to simulcasting the new season, Crunchyroll will release the first five (5) episodes from season one (1) today at 2PM PST. The subsequent four (4) episodes will be available the following week until the completion of season two (2). More information can be found on www.crunchyroll.com/crawling.

After the final episodes of season two (2) have been broadcasted, Crunchyroll will begin simulcasting season three (3) on its site this April.”

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos will be available worldwide except for Asia.

I've noticed this myself since there's nowere else to watch the ONA's and second season. that said they're only 2-5 minute episodes. I can only guess that the third "season" has more air time with a plot

Now here's one I want to see. It has a very Planetes look to it...

Crunchyroll Adds "Space Brothers" to Spring Anime Lineup

Crunchyroll is rolling out some more spring anime announcements, and the latest is Space Brothers. Directed by Doraemon veteran Ayumu Watanabe and based on the Shogakukan Award-winning manga by Chūya Koyama, Space Brothers will make its streaming debut on Saturday, March 31 at 8:00 pm PDT.

Space Brothers will be available to stream in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Netherlands, Brazil, and Portugal.

Story:

Once upon a time there were two brothers, Hibito and Mutta. Hibito, the littler brother, had been blessed with good luck since the day he was born. Mutta, the elder, had always had bad luck. One day, the two brothers saw a UFO. This experience made them decide to become astronauts. And while Hibito succeeded, Mutta went to work for a car company. Then he caused an incident and had to quit. And then just as Hibito is about to fly to the moon...

To follow his brother Hibito to the moon, Mutta will attempt to become an astronaut at the age of 32. Unaware of his own talent, elder brother Mutta chases his dreams to get back in front of his younger brother. Believing the worlds: ‘The older brother should always be ahead of the younger one...’

That's one down, about 8 from my list to go, just realised before that there could very well be up to as many as 30 different shows continuously running at once if we include all options like continuations, second or more seasons, Drama and stuff which hasn't even been confirmed yet! (And NicoNico and AOD for added bonus!)

Crunchyroll Adds "Folktales from Japan" to Spring Anime Lineup

If you're looking for a fresh animated take on classic Japanese stories, Crunchyroll has you covered with the addition of Folktales from Japan. The tale-telling begins when the series starts airing on Saturday, March 31 at 5:30 pm PDT.

Folktales from Japan will be available to stream for premium members worldwide except for Japan. It will also be available to free members in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

Synopsis:

Like in any culture, Japanese kids grow up listening to the stories repeatedly told by their parents and grandparents. The boy born from a peach; the princess from the moon who is discovered inside a bamboo; the old man who can make a dead cherry tree blossom, etc. These short stories that teach kids to see both the dark and bright sides of life have passed traditional moral values from generation to generation.

Each half-hour episode of Folktales from Japan consists of three self-contained stories, well-known and unknown, with a special focus on heartwarming stories that originate from Tohoku, the northern region heavily touched by the earthquake of 2011. May this program help cheer up earthquake victims and cast a light of hope for them.

Crunchyroll Adds "You and Me" Season 2 to Spring Anime Lineup

Get ready for another slice of boys' life with the arrival of You and Me (Kimi to Boku) season 2, set to start streaming on Crunchyroll on Monday, April 2 at 10:00 am PDT.

Premium members can catch the new season worldwide except for Japan. For free members, available territories include U.S., Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

Story:

Friends since kindergarten and seemingly like blood brothers, YOU AND ME follows the lives of Yuta and Yuki Asaba, Shun Matsuoka and Kaname Tsukahara; as well as transfer student Chizuru Tachibana who joins the circle of friends. Together we will watch as they laugh, dance, cry and share the memories of growing up together in everyday life.

Saint Seiya Omega is next.

The latest title to be announced for Crunchyroll's spring anime lineup is Saint Seiya Omega, produced by Toei Animation and directed by Morio Hatano (episode director on Heartcatch PreCure!, Kaidan Restaurant).

The new adventures of Athena and her Saints will be available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. Keep your eyes on the series' page when it goes live, as well as this post, for more information.

Story
Saints are champions of hope who have always appeared since the Age of Myth whenever evil threatens the world. They would clad themselves in armor called Cloths, and fight to protect Athena, the goddess who rules the world's surface. Seiya the Pegasus Saint has saved Athena many times, and while he and his friends are Bronze Saints, which is the lowest rank, their battles have been passed down as legend.

The god of war and guardian of his namesake planet, Mars, was once sealed away by Seiya, but time has passed and his revival is at hand. Meanwhile, Saori Kido (Athena) is raising the boy Kouga, whose life Seiya saved, and he's been training every day to become a Saint in order to prepare for the coming crisis... Unaware of his destiny, when Kouga awakens to the power of his Cosmo hidden inside him, the curtain will rise upon the legend of a new Saint!

Crunchyroll Adds "Yurumates" to Spring Anime Lineup

The spring anime season fun continues with Crunchyroll's announcement of Yurumates. Based on the four-panel manga written and illustrated by saxyun, the series is set to kick off on Friday, April 6 at 10:30 am PDT.

Yurumates will be available for members worldwide except for Japan.

Yurumates began as a one-shot manga in 2005 before becoming a regular series later that year. The story follows Yurume, an 18-year-old high school graduate who has yet to be accepted into college. In an effort to study for exams, she moves to Maison du Wish, an apartment complex on the outskirts of Tokyo which is full of other out-of-school "rōnin." Maybe that has something to do with the rumor about Maison du Wish: no one who lives there passes the entrance exam.

Back