Crunchyroll's Spring 2012 New Show Announcements...

I hope AoD step up and announce some of those Viz acquisitions soon. I know things were chaotic with the switch to the new website but with the lack of communication, the sporadic and seemingly random scheduling of episodes and the lack of new series it's been a total mess. As it stands I see no reason to renew my subscription when it runs out...

Ath said:
I hope AoD step up and announce some of those Viz acquisitions soon. I know things were chaotic with the switch to the new website but with the lack of communication, the sporadic and seemingly random scheduling of episodes and the lack of new series it's been a total mess. As it stands I see no reason to renew my subscription when it runs out...
And once that's done, WHOOPS! Now you can't even sample the show in 320p and a week later. Sort of what has become the standard in any streaming service that doesn't suck balls like a dyson at a pokemon convention.

There needs to be someone else other than Andrew focusing on AoD, he is clearly busy enough with other projects. Get someone else involved in the project and start replying to issues brought up in the contact form and/or Twitter. This is the worse time, you could absolutely stuff up Andrew.

For the first year, it started on a high and came down to a low.

I'll give the drool anime a chance. Convinced Funi must have Kore wa Zombie Desu S2, as Crunchy would surely have announced it by now (especially with episode one having aired already).

Joshawott said:
They also have tsuritama.

This looks interesting. I'm getting a NieA_7 vibe from its story synopsis, and it's streaming to the UK, so I'll deffo check it out.

Another show from Fuji TV's noitaminA block is being added to Crunchyroll's spring anime lineup, with the stream of Tsuritama set to kick off on Thursday, April 12 at 10:30 am PDT.

Crunchyroll users can catch Tsuritama in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and South America.

Directed by Kenji Nakamura (C - Control - The Money and Soul of Possibility, Mononoke), Tsuritama features animation production by A-1 Pictures, and series composition by Suite PreCure's Toshiya Ono.

Story:

The setting is Shonan, Enoshima. A town where the nostalgic and the fresh coexist. All his life, high school student Yuki has never had a friend of his own, because he's freakishly inept at communicating with others. Haru, a self-proclaimed alien from outer space, is trying to get him to go fishing. Natsuki is a local boy born and raised in Enoshima, who always seems to be annoyed by whatever's going on around him. Akira is a mysterious Indian boy who watches over them all, while maintaining a cautious distance. These four angst-filled teenagers meet and go fishing; and their tiny island takes center stage in an epic story... This is where it all starts - their SF (= Seishun Fishing) story!

reborn said:
There needs to be someone else other than Andrew focusing on AoD, he is clearly busy enough with other projects. Get someone else involved in the project and start replying to issues brought up in the contact form and/or Twitter. This is the worse time, you could absolutely stuff up Andrew.

For the first year, it started on a high and came down to a low.
I'll put it this way. It could be gone in the next six months and that would more or less be a repeat of how Anime Central went down.

I also get the horrible feeling that Andrew is the only one who's even paying attention to the thing.

Joshawott said:

Also, although not Crunchyroll, as Andrew has posted some Kazé stuff here before, Viz Media in America have Accel World, so is there a chance of AnimeOnDemand having that?

Sounds pretty interesting, and also, an anime with an Indian character in a central role? That's got to be a first.

vashdaman said:
Joshawott said:

Also, although not Crunchyroll, as Andrew has posted some Kazé stuff here before, Viz Media in America have Accel World, so is there a chance of AnimeOnDemand having that?

Sounds pretty interesting, and also, an anime with an Indian character in a central role? That's got to be a first.

There's Arvind Lavie in Planetes, Chada, the Indian alien from NieA, Kaolla Su from Love Hina was kind of not, maybe sort of Indian-ish...

Just Passing Through said:
Kaolla Su from Love Hina was kind of not, maybe sort of Indian-ish...
Even if story wise she wasn't Indian, there definitely was some Indian inspiration behind her (or at least, her sister).

Not to mention Soma/Agni in Black Butler and the delightful Hakim from Emma. Also while Anthy in Utena may or may not be of Indian origin (she certainly looks the part, but it's never relevant to the story), some of the less serious storylines do occasionally make reference to the region.

R

Yeah, I've certainly seen a few pop up playing relatively minor parts in anime , but I've yet to see a south asian character play one the protagonists of a show (which I'm assuming is the case with tsuritama, at least). I know Japan has a lower amount of ethnic minorities than say over here and so will want to appeal to their Japanese fanbase, but it would be nice to have a bit more variety.

I've yet to see some of the anime that has just been mentioned, though.

There was Janet "Greenback Jane" Bhai in Black Lagoon the Second Barrage as well. I seem to remember a few months ago that India were going to collaborate with Japan to remake an old football anime if I've got that right. I'm from a Bengali background myself and I love seeing Japanese takes on different cultures...even if they can be quite warped sometimes (case in point, Labyrinth of Flames has the most bizarre depiction of Russia I have ever seen).

Only a few announcements left, what's everyone hoping for the remaining slots? Assuming the placeholders on the Crunchyroll page are accurate I'm hoping for Eureka Seven AO and either Hyouka or Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

robot monkey said:
I wish somebody would pick up Lupin III for streaming in the UK, only show in this season I am interested in seeing.

Funi have picked up the streaming rights for Lupin, but I fear it's unlikely that it'll be unlocked in the UK.

Back