UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I used cheapest shipping last month and it was sent out UPS and took nearly two days - had to pay customs on delivery.
Ok. I know amazon in NA have gone a bit weird with their shipping options of late. Some items will not even give you the option of standard shipping, even if below the customs threshold.

Yeah, France has been getting some really great stuff recently - I believe Kaze have Ushio & Tora, Sailor Moon and Kuroko's Basketball.

You could buy it anyway to supplement the UK release? Or just make sure you end up with AUKN or Tanuki Bridge's review discs to slot into it?

A friend of mine is buying the US set for herself and letting me keep the books included with that as she doesn't care for booklets as much as me, so the plan right now is to take that and then see if I get any review discs, if not I'll probably offer to buy the full set off said friend when I have more money. Either way none of it is going to Manga right now when even France has booklets and we don't.

They are £37 each via WowHD :)
Found both seasons of GitS:SAC for US$86.45/~£70 shipped, ex vat from www.deepdiscount.com using the 15% off code HEART15.

Haven't used them in a few years(last things I bought were in a Bandai US BOGOF deal) but remember them being reliable and reasonably quick for shipping.

Edit:Looking at reviews their service has gone sharply downhill since my last order.

Last edited:
Not worth getting them from there, unless you want to wait 6 weeks for delivery and pay customs 2 handling fees when they come in separately from Hong Kong.
They're nowadays owned by DirecToU (DeepDiscount/ImportCDs/DVDPacific) and orders are shipped from a warehouse in the USA. No customs fees are incurred because DirecToU has reshipping facilities within the UK and a few other European countries.

I can forgive leaving certain elements out (did any of us really want the ribbon?), but the booklet? The thing we all outright said to Jerome we wanted?
Well, What Jerome said to me on twitter was "Books are the hardest thing to produce. Very expensive production costs" so I was sadly not expecting them.

A thought about physical versus digital. Right now on disc I'm watching Berserk, Fairy Tail, Tonari no Seki-kun and Claymore for review, and I'm rewatching Bleach, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Bakemonogatari, Ouran High School Host Club, Dai Guard, and She, The Ultimate Weapon. Now I wonder how many of those can't be streamed from the UK?
Assuming you mean Berserk 2k6 then 6/10, because FUNi only seem to have the Tsubasa OVAs now.

Well, What Jerome said to me on twitter was "Books are the hardest thing to produce. Very expensive production costs" so I was sadly not expecting them.

See, while I appreciate that it's also one of those things where they're highly valued so the cost should be offset by the fact it will hopefully entice you to buy the product. I mean, by not having a decent 'deluxe' edition I know of at least four people in the community here (not including myself) who are now not buying the Manga UK release...

See, while I appreciate that it's also one of those things where they're highly valued so the cost should be offset by the fact it will hopefully entice you to buy the product. I mean, by not having a decent 'deluxe' edition I know of at least four people in the community here (not including myself) who are now not buying the Manga UK release...

The US standard edition is £45. Unless you upgrade to the £110 CE, you're only making yourself suffer...

I wonder if that's how Manga intended to get people...

Here's an idea scrap the double play, scrap the poster and art cards and give us and art book. If other companies can do it for a similar price why can't Manga? Id rather them come out and say hey we don't have the staff who can put together content for a booklet rather than just saying its expensive. Yes its expensive but so is your collectors edition so give us something worthwhile.

Last edited:
SRP for Manga's Deluxe Edition is £50
SRP for Sentai's standard is $70/£56 without tax. Yup, Manga's is definitely too expensive.

A significant part of that Sentai price is down to the daft exchange rate so I don't think its a fair comparison. There as several sites where you can get Sentai's set for around £37 (without shipping & tax) non SRP. My point is there's nothing deluxe about Manga's version, its expensive and contains posters & art cards which are not desirable to most collectors.

Its not good enough, not for that price, if you want a slice of the collectors edition market then you have to offer a better product.

Back