UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

You can rearrange delivery for a day when you are there and it opens to 8pm on Wednesdays so I'm sure most people are covered
Does yours stay open until 8pm on one day? You're really lucky. Mine is 6:45-1300 Monday to Friday. Rearranging delivery is a pain when 3 of 4 people in a house work and the other is busy most days. It's easier to just use Amazon and have stuff left with a neighbour.

I have amazon prime however if something is cheaper elsewhere I go elsewhere however manga is usually generally the same price everywhere so I use amazon
I've already said I go elsewhere if something is cheaper. Light novels and manga, for example, are significantly cheaper if I buy it in person at Worlds Apart, or use Book Depository and wait a week or two.

Just seems bizarre that somebody that formally claimed to be hugely price conscious was openly suggesting people buy Prime. Which is effectively (sorry, Amazon) worthless.

This whole conversation is just bizarre, because we've already had the "I don't really care about price that much" admission. My intention was never really to dispute the value of prime to you, just to question that you would recommend it to others and to question the fact your behaviour was seemingly contradictory to your past posts.

We've turned into flies picking at an already dead carcass now, maybe we should stop this.

I don't have issues with their prices for the products they're selling, most of the time. I just wish that not every produce was released as a high price CE to begin with- some shows don't need it. Depending on whether standard editions show up for Danmachi, and My Love Story, Manga may have just fallen foul of that as well.

This is actually a topic which interests me. Andrew has explicitly told us why TiR got a fancy edition (he liked it and personally thought it was worth doing even if it didn't sell like crazy). He's openly a pretty massive anime fan so his choices of licenses and decisions about how to release them are heavily influenced by his own enthusiasm for any given project. Whether that makes commercial sense or not is his problem to deal with, but the way it ends up working has, so far, been quite successful in my eyes - we've had special editions for shows which the US hasn't even seen fit to release in any form at all, and Andrew's taste has a lot of overlap with my own. That's probably why I seem to be such an AL fanboy (*eyeroll*) - I genuinely like what they're doing and they pick titles which catch my eye.

Manga do things very differently - I'm not saying their way is wrong but it's definitely driven by commercial concerns rather than Andrew's personal whims. The shows which get CEs aren't picked because they especially deserve CEs or because there's a known market for them (I actually liked Parasyte, but even I have no idea who the UK CE was aimed at). They're simply picked out because it's easy to make a CE, whether it's by teaming up with a US company who already did one or by capitalising on some decent terms negotiated directly with Japan. Jerome has been very vocal about how challenging it is to do CEs and I have sympathy for that; nobody can argue against the fact that it's a lot more effort to cater to the 'higher end' market with the higher production costs and expectations that involves. But Jerome has also gone on the record to admit that he sometimes doesn't even know what the target audience is for certain shows he's licensed at all; it's like they're randomly licensing stuff based on its availability (hence the moans about other companies making strategic alliances which lock other shows away), cost (to them) and perceived popularity (Akame Ga Kill was certainly hyped during its original airing period). Then when it comes to the time to release the content, they're working in the dark almost every time.

Not listening to feedback about bad LEs (Attack On Titan) or problems which crop up repeatedly (chapters/subtitles on local discs) is bad enough, but to me none of the shows released in this 'conveyor belt' style really feel special, either. I was once at MCM Expo and a title I really, really wanted had just come out, so I swung by the Manga UK stand to check it out. It was just shoved at the back of their stand without a single mention anywhere unless you already knew it was a new release. They hadn't even realised the UK version was missing some of the original video extras; they weren't deliberately removed, they were simply never acknowledged or included. And nobody cared. It felt like they were a subsidiary of the US distributor rather than a huge local distributor with their own expertise. I went home and imported it because I didn't want to support one of my favourite shows getting such a soulless, flawed release. Every show is someone's favourite. Every show is worked on by hundreds of individuals whose efforts deserve respect.

Even if Manga wasn't locked away from, say, Free! and gave that a UK release based on its popularity and heritage, would it sell as well from them? Would they pitch it right? Would we get a Rin Bearbrick in the CE? I think there's a lot to be said for taking the time to deeply understand every individual show and its strengths and weaknesses and planning each release as its own project, even if that approach is less efficient. Some kinds of fans want CDs, some want posters, some want huggable pillowcases. For some shows, most of its fans just want a disc and an Amaray case.

At the end of the day I know I'm being unrealistic and Manga UK will never work in the way the boutique distributors like AL, Nozomi or NISA do. But I do feel that a bit more personal involvement in the titles they have on their books would go a long way.

Sorry for rambling.

R

This is actually a topic which interests me. Andrew has explicitly told us why TiR got a fancy edition (he liked it and personally thought it was worth doing even if it didn't sell like crazy). He's openly a pretty massive anime fan so his choices of licenses and decisions about how to release them are heavily influenced by his own enthusiasm for any given project. Whether that makes commercial sense or not is his problem to deal with, but the way it ends up working has, so far, been quite successful in my eyes - we've had special editions for shows which the US hasn't even seen fit to release in any form at all, and Andrew's taste has a lot of overlap with my own. That's probably why I seem to be such an AL fanboy (*eyeroll*) - I genuinely like what they're doing and they pick titles which catch my eye.

Manga do things very differently - I'm not saying their way is wrong but it's definitely driven by commercial concerns rather than Andrew's personal whims. The shows which get CEs aren't picked because they especially deserve CEs or because there's a known market for them (I actually liked Parasyte, but even I have no idea who the UK CE was aimed at). They're simply picked out because it's easy to make a CE, whether it's by teaming up with a US company who already did one or by capitalising on some decent terms negotiated directly with Japan. Jerome has been very vocal about how challenging it is to do CEs and I have sympathy for that; nobody can argue against the fact that it's a lot more effort to cater to the 'higher end' market with the higher production costs and expectations that involves. But Jerome has also gone on the record to admit that he sometimes doesn't even know what the target audience is for certain shows he's licensed at all; it's like they're randomly licensing stuff based on its availability (hence the moans about other companies making strategic alliances which lock other shows away), cost (to them) and perceived popularity (Akame Ga Kill was certainly hyped during its original airing period). Then when it comes to the time to release the content, they're working in the dark almost every time.

Not listening to feedback about bad LEs (Attack On Titan) or problems which crop up repeatedly (chapters/subtitles on local discs) is bad enough, but to me none of the shows released in this 'conveyor belt' style really feel special, either. I was once at MCM Expo and a title I really, really wanted had just come out, so I swung by the Manga UK stand to check it out. It was just shoved at the back of their stand without a single mention anywhere unless you already knew it was a new release. They hadn't even realised the UK version was missing some of the original video extras; they weren't deliberately removed, they were simply never acknowledged or included. And nobody cared. It felt like they were a subsidiary of the US distributor rather than a huge local distributor with their own expertise. I went home and imported it because I didn't want to support one of my favourite shows getting such a soulless, flawed release. Every show is someone's favourite. Every show is worked on by hundreds of individuals whose efforts deserve respect.

Even if Manga wasn't locked away from, say, Free! and gave that a UK release based on its popularity and heritage, would it sell as well from them? Would they pitch it right? Would we get a Rin Bearbrick in the CE? I think there's a lot to be said for taking the time to deeply understand every individual show and its strengths and weaknesses and planning each release as its own project, even if that approach is less efficient. Some kinds of fans want CDs, some want posters, some want huggable pillowcases.

At the end of the day I know I'm being unrealistic and Manga UK will never work in the way the boutique distributors like AL, Nozomi or NISA do. But I do feel that a bit more personal involvement in the titles they have on their books would go a long way.

I miss when AL itself was a selling point for me, they're the reason I started blind buying. I used to be able to trust that because they were releasing a show, it was worth checking out, but now that they want to hoard literally anything and everything, all AL being the distributor for a show tells me is that it's probably not a Sentai anime in the US. Amusingly, the gap between US and UK they sought to close all too often ends up worsened for a title being distributed by them as of late. I'd like to see a bit less personal involvement from AL in some of their titles, far too often it just leads to excessive delay after delay. It's all well and good making a nice CE, but if it delays the UK release by months, or years compared to the US release, is it really worth it? A lot of the time, at least Manga, MVM, and even Universal have a shorter gap between US and UK release for sublicenses, but it gets overshadowed by AL releasing shows the US don't have, even though most of their sublicenses are painfully delayed. WIXOSS being one that annoys me in particular. That may end up being an amazing CE, but I'm not sure the delay is worth it. But then, even when a title is a straight up Funimation UK standard edition, we still get crazy delays, so perhaps it's not the personal involvement that's the issue.
What's the record for shortest gap from US release to UK release for a sublicense anyway? Isn't it something like 6 days for AL, with AL France being in charge of packaging, and -1 day for Manga? (Tokyo Ghoul and Danganronpa)

Last edited:
Maybe AL's recent Escaflowne release. It felt like we got that before the US, but I don't know when the US kickstarter release went out.

They were honestly around the same time, but I believe US got their sets first. I remember people on the KS moaning about non-KS people where getting their Rightstuf orders before the KS rewards were shipped, but I do remember staring at their pictures thinking "can't wait till I get mine from AL!"

I miss when AL itself was a selling point for me, they're the reason I started blind buying. I used to be able to trust that because they were releasing a show, it was worth checking out, but now that they want to hoard literally anything and everything, all AL being the distributor for a show tells me is that it's probably not a Sentai anime in the US. Amusingly, the gap between US and UK they sought to close all too often ends up worsened for a title being distributed by them as of late. I'd like to see a bit less personal involvement from AL in some of their titles, far too often it just leads to excessive delay after delay. It's all well and good making a nice CE, but if it delays the UK release by months, or years compared to the US release, is it really worth it? A lot of the time, at least Manga, MVM, and even Universal have a shorter gap between US and UK release for sublicenses, but it gets overshadowed by AL releasing shows the US don't have, even though most of their sublicenses are painfully delayed. WIXOSS being one that annoys me in particular. That may end up being an amazing CE, but I'm not sure the delay is worth it. But then, even when a title is a straight up Funimation UK standard edition, we still get crazy delays, so perhaps it's not the personal involvement that's the issue.
What's the record for shortest gap from US release to UK release for a sublicense anyway? Isn't it something like 6 days for AL, with AL France being in charge of packaging, and -1 day for Manga?

I honestly see no real difference between a week and (minus) one day for sublicenses; I don't track that kind of incidental detail consciously. I don't even care which licenses are sublicenses at all unless they inherit problems from the previous versions. And if there are problems, then AL can take as long as they need to take to fix them. Saving a few weeks/months only to end up with a busted release just makes me feel ripped off.

The fact that we're less than a year behind in most cases is still incredible after living through the Dark Ages. And even if AL doesn't exclusively release titles which match with my personal taste, Andrew's instincts are right more often than not. For me, that is.

R

We definitely got that after the US, there was a hold-back on the new dub that we needed for some reason.
Oh, we could've had it MUCH earlier without it, but could you imagine how up in arms people would've been about AL releasing an Ultimate Edition without the brand new dub that the Yanks got.

Oh, we could've had it MUCH earlier without it, but could you imagine how up in arms people would've been about AL releasing an Ultimate Edition without the brand new dub that the Yanks got.
That was the USP of the Miss Hokusai UE, so it'd have been a bit unfair to do the same for Escaflowne I suppose. The difference being, I'll never try the Escaflowne dub, but I now need a multiregion blu-ray player so I can try that Miss Hokusai dub I actually want to try.

Saving a few weeks/months only to end up with a busted release just makes me feel ripped off.
And when there aren't any issues that need fixing? That's when I get annoyed. The only licenses treated worse than sub-licenses seem to be TBS licenses, for some reason. I'm willing to blame TBS there though.

Back