UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

It's owned by Aniplex Japan, and reportedly was the subject of a bidding war. I'd be surprised if Manga got, especially since Knights of Sidonia did not perform according to Jerome's expectations.

Seven Deadly Sins has a wider appeal and is actually a rarity, good shounen. I doubt they would have it though. Id be interested to see who won that bidding war.

Seven Deadly Sins has a wider appeal and is actually a rarity, good shounen. I doubt they would have it though. Id be interested to see who won that bidding war.
I've read the manga. Nothing says "wide appeal" like a super rapey protagonist.

Ignoring that, I enjoyed it.

Seems that SAC will be released by Manga but could be quite a wait?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.39.07.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 18.39.07.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 38
    44.7 KB · Views: 34
    44.7 KB · Views: 36
*Taken from the schedule topic so I don't spam that up*

Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?: Complete Series (Deluxe Edition Blu-ray & DVD)
£49.99 - May 8th 2017
Deluxe Edition Blu-ray available for a limited time only includes: 2 x Blu-ray Discs, 3 x DVD discs, Episodes 1-13 packed inside 14 mm Blu-ray Case, Plastic O-card, Rigid Collector s Box, Set of Art Cards, and Bonus Poster.

Has to be said that I am EXTREMELY disappointed with what the UK is getting compared to the wonderful set in the US. I can forgive leaving certain elements out (did any of us really want the ribbon?), but the booklet? The thing we all outright said to Jerome we wanted? I really don't think you can leave that out and call this a deluxe edition.

I know it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day in regards to what makes a collector's edition, but art cards and a poster simply do not cut it. I can't afford to buy the US edition but if I had the cash I would 100% be importing because I feel we're being cheated out of the good stuff simply because Jerome doesn't care about the collectors market. I mean, either way I won't be lining Manga's pockets by buying this release because as much as I adore the series the release could have been miles better. Manga don't deserve the cash when they wouldn't even remotely listen to what the fans wanted out of a collectors set. :/

*Taken from the schedule topic so I don't spam that up*

Has to be said that I am EXTREMELY disappointed with what the UK is getting compared to the wonderful set in the US. I can forgive leaving certain elements out (did any of us really want the ribbon?), but the booklet? The thing we all outright said to Jerome we wanted? I really don't think you can leave that out and call this a deluxe edition.

I know it all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day in regards to what makes a collector's edition, but art cards and a poster simply do not cut it. I can't afford to buy the US edition but if I had the cash I would 100% be importing because I feel we're being cheated out of the good stuff simply because Jerome doesn't care about the collectors market. I mean, either way I won't be lining Manga's pockets by buying this release because as much as I adore the series the release could have been miles better. Manga don't deserve the cash when they wouldn't even remotely listen to what the fans wanted out of a collectors set. :/
Given Animatsu has replicated Sentai sets before (but with BBFC logos) in the past, you have to wonder if there's a reason why they can't this time. Be it legal, financial or contractual -- How many of us actually bothered with Parasyte -the maxim- or Akame ga Kill!? I don't think we can automatically assume Jerome is the reason why, as much as we do seemingly love to hate him.

Also, Anime Ltd. is literally calling their now amaray only release of Mobile Suit Gundam a Collector's Edition. It's a little bit late to start getting fussy about terminology...

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is listed as PAL on Amazon. No, thank you. It's 2017, live action PAL can go and do one. Here's something I never thought I'd say - I'll watch it on Netflix instead.

Given Animatsu has replicated Sentai sets before (but with BBFC logos) in the past, you have to wonder if there's a reason why they can't this time. Be it legal, financial or contractual -- How many of us actually bothered with Parasyte -the maxim- or Akame ga Kill!? I don't think we can automatically assume Jerome is the reason why, as much as we do seemingly love to hate him.

Also, Anime Ltd. is literally calling their now amaray only release of Mobile Suit Gundam a Collector's Edition. It's a little bit late to start getting fussy about terminology...

Given the high prices of both Parasyte and AGK (Like, £70-£80 a pop, if I recall, for 12 episodes) them selling is no surprise at all to me. I guess even UK fans have limits to how much they'd pay. The AL £40-£50 LE seems to be the sweet spot for single cour shows.

From what I saw on Twitter it looked like Jerome was being fussy about what they'd include in the set because he didn't believe they'd be able to sell them if they copied the whole Sentai set (fair enough, I guess), but what annoys me is that he asked for feedback and then clearly didn't listen to a word anyone set. The illusion that we had any input into the set at all is just annoying. This was fairly recently as well and the impression given was that all the sentai stuff could be brought over if they chose to and the demand was there. I mean, sure, Jerome's twitter is a small sample of anime fans but I do think if you want to sell expensive collector's sets then the answer is not ripping out the majority of the content that people actually wanted. At this point he's just losing sales instead.

£50 for art cards and a poster is a high ask when you can have so much more for roughly £80~ right now from the US.

Given the high prices of both Parasyte and AGK (Like, £70-£80 a pop, if I recall, for 12 episodes) them selling is no surprise at all to me. I guess even UK fans have limits to how much they'd pay. The AL £40-£50 LE seems to be the sweet spot for single cour shows.

As we've said, I think £40-50 is too high. But I'd rather not be subjected to massively hypocritical mauling from certain members of the site, so let's not go there.

The difficult thing is. What if they can't be flexible on price? Then what do they do? It's all well and good saying 'I'd buy it if it were cheaper', but what if they can't make it cheaper?

From what I saw on Twitter it looked like Jerome was being fussy about what they'd include in the set because he didn't believe they'd be able to sell them if they copied the whole Sentai set (fair enough, I guess), but what annoys me is that he asked for feedback and then clearly didn't listen to a word anyone set. The illusion that we had any input into the set at all is just annoying. This was fairly recently as well and the impression given was that all the sentai stuff could be brought over if they chose to and the demand was there. I mean, sure, Jerome's twitter is a small sample of anime fans but I do think if you want to sell expensive collector's sets then the answer is not ripping out the majority of the content that people actually wanted. At this point he's just losing sales instead.

£50 for art cards and a poster is a high ask when you can have so much more for roughly £80~ right now from the US.

I'm not saying it's good value for money, just that immediately going 'JEROME IS THE DEVIL, IT'S ALL HIS FAULT AND HE WILL BURN IN HELL FOR HIS SINS', as members of this site are prone to doing, is incredibly presumptuous.

I'm sure it looked to you on Twitter as if everyone wanted the booklet, but what if everybody also asked for a low price point and they couldn't have both? Or what if they were later told they couldn't have Sentai's assets so they'd have to make their own booklet? I don't know that it's fair to look at this one piece of information in isolation and immediately assume Jerome personally did it to screw all of you.

By all means don't buy it, but this whole narrative that Jerome did it maliciously to piss you all off is absurd. That would be incredibly bad business, and whatever you think of his rants, I don't think you can say he's doing it deliberately to upset people.

As we've said, I think £40-50 is too high. But I'd rather not be subjected to massively hypocritical mauling from certain members of the site, so let's not go there.

Well, I think that's going to vary from person to person. However, if sales are anything to go by, AL wouldn't be around if £40-£50 wasn't a good price for a lot people, and Manga's £70 odd sets clearly weren't given we haven't seen another Sentai clone set since.

I'm not saying it's good value for money, just that immediately going 'JEROME IS THE DEVIL, IT'S ALL HIS FAULT AND HE WILL BURN IN HELL FOR HIS SINS', as members of this site are prone to doing, is incredibly presumptuous.

I'm sure it looked to you on Twitter as if everyone wanted the booklet, but what if everybody also asked for a low price point and they couldn't have both? Or what if they were later told they couldn't have Sentai's assets so they'd have to make their own booklet? I don't know that it's fair to look at this one piece of information in isolation and immediately assume Jerome personally did it to screw all of you.

By all means don't buy it, but this whole narrative that Jerome did it maliciously to piss you all off is absurd. That would be incredibly bad business, and whatever you think of his rants, I don't think you can say he's doing it deliberately to upset people.

Yeah I mean I hold my hands up and say my criticism of Jerome is perhaps not fair and there could be reasons behind the scenes why, in the end, nothing could be added. In this case it's mostly the final straw that broke the camels back and quite honestly just says to me that Jerome is not making any effort to try anything different with collectors sets and is happy just to toss art cards and posters at them (My Love Story is the same situation, although in that show's case I don't think it would have sold as well as DanMachi).

It's not necessarily DanMachi that annoys me now, it's the whole situation because to me it looked like Jerome was looking for actual feedback and advice and then just doesn't seem to have listened, although I do understand your point that in this case perhaps he couldn't - I think the bigger issue is that this keeps happening with this company.

Art cards and posters are to Jerome what art boxes and booklets are to Andrew. It's all pointless crap anyway,

In that case I'd be happy to have Jerome take a leaf out of Andrew's book and learn that some of us prefer booklets and boxes (although I actually like posters and art cards, just not in place of a booklet).

In that case I'd be happy to have Jerome take a leaf out of Andrew's book and learn that some of us prefer booklets and boxes (although I actually like posters and art cards, just not in place of a booklet).
Didn't we all complain about Jerome's early Animatsu artboxes?

Didn't we all complain about Jerome's early Animatsu artboxes?

That's only because they were kind of redundant. It had identical art to the inside of the cover. I'd have prefered clean art on either the artbox or the case itself. Hell, they did that with Nadia, just not Raildex or Chu2Koi.

That's only because they were kind of redundant. It had identical art to the inside of the cover. I'd have prefered clean art on either the artbox or the case itself. Hell, they did that with Nadia, just not Raildex or Chu2Koi.

Didn't Grav complain the one time Manga did a clean artbox? Because there was no title on the spine.
Anime fans just want the opposite of what we get. We're all awful.

Didn't Grav complain the one time Manga did a clean artbox? Because there was no title on the spine.
Anime fans just want the opposite of what we get. We're all awful.
No they want the opposite of what they get from Manga. Criticise any other anime company and you'll get your ******* head bitten off.

Back