UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

A significant part of that Sentai price is down to the daft exchange rate so I don't think its a fair comparison. There as several sites where you can get Sentai's set for around £37 (without shipping & tax) non SRP. My point is there's nothing deluxe about Manga's version, its expensive and contains posters & art cards which are not desirable to most collectors.

Its not good enough, not for that price, if you want a slice of the collectors edition market then you have to offer a better product.
And Manga's will be £35 at AOL, so still cheaper.

And Manga's will be £35 at AOL, so still cheaper.

Still expensive for a single cour show. Most Anime Limited sets are available for the £35-40 mark on AOL. Hell, Berserk was going for £30 and that had a nice digipack & chipboard box. As I said before Manga can save cost by ditching combi packs, posters and art cards. Im not after some leather bound encyclopedia written in the blood of virgins or some clone of Sentais CE. I just want a nice little art book as part of the package.

Knights of Sidonia had a poster, artcards and an artbox and I believe that has been £30 for most of it's release life. Why would we pay £20 extra for Is it wrong...?

Not only is this release inordinately expensive compared to other companies, it's inordinately expensive in comparison to Manga's own previous releases.

I'm not on board for attacks on Manga's staff, but I don't see how this release can be defended in any way.

Knights of Sidonia had a poster, artcards and an artbox and I believe that has been £30 for most of it's release life. Why would we pay £20 extra for Is it wrong...?

Not only is this release inordinately expensive compared to other companies, it's inordinately expensive in comparison to Manga's own previous releases.

I'm not on board for attacks on Manga's staff, but I don't see how this release can be defended in any way.

That's a very good point about Sidonia. Jerome clearly has an idea of what a CE is and isn't budging from it. He should look at Anime Limited release of something like Lord Marksman. That came with a chipboard box, digi pack, small booklet and retails for around £35. This is what Manga should be aiming for with their CE certainly at those prices. I genuinely don't understand what they are doing with these 'Deluxe' editions.

Yet I see no campaign for AL to drop the DVDs from their movie CEs. Has anyone ever used one of those DVDs? Nope.
Me. I have. I saw a weird anomaly in Expelled from Paradise, so I compared the BD version with the DVD version. Everything was fine.

But are you not sick of making these ridiculous anti-AL strawman arguments? The existence or nonexistence of a campaign for AL to make their film CEs single play has absolutely no bearing on people's opinion of this CE. AL removing DVDs from their film CEs doesn't make Is it Wrong... better value for money, it doesn't give people the booklet they clearly want. It doesn't make Manga look any less out of touch with the collector's market they appear to be chasing and it doesn't make people actually want to buy this release.

For the love of God, please just stop now. I'm becoming increasingly embarrassed to have seemingly held the same opinions as you.

it doesn't give people the booklet they clearly want. It doesn't make Manga look any less out of touch with the collector's market they appear to be chasing and it doesn't make people actually want to buy this release.
The price will be cheap enough, and a booklet is equally as useless as a poster and artcards, so I'll probably buy these "Deluxe" releases.

Okay... now I'm hoping that Manga do not release Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex on Blu-ray in the UK. Someone saw the US Anchor Bay release and commented on Blu-ray.com

TL;DR typical Manga lack of chaptering, no extras, and the killer... dubtitles. I won't even bother with that ****!

Okay... now I'm hoping that Manga do not release Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex on Blu-ray in the UK. Someone saw the US Anchor Bay release and commented on Blu-ray.com

TL;DR typical Manga lack of chaptering, no extras, and the killer... dubtitles. I won't even bother with that ****!
Oh. Disappointing.

It's not a killer for me, but I'll be waiting for a sale or something. If they can't be bothered to do a proper release, I can't be bothered to pay a high price.

At this point you have to wonder if they're actively trying to screw up...

I'm tempted by the Korean. It's currently half price at KimcheeDVD, but even still, that's over £120 with standard postage. A little too rich for my wallet right now. I'll wait to see what Madman Ent do.

I would not assume Manga's version will be a direct copy of the US sets. I believe they were working with Anime Limited regarding authoring & costs so I would hold fire until we see the product. Its not even been officially announced for the UK yet(but its coming).

The Korean sets are nice but the shipping is horrendous not including any customs fee's. I would wait and see on this one and them make an informed choice.

Probably a good idea to raise the GitS issues with Manga quickly if anyone has their ear.

Yet I see no campaign for AL to drop the DVDs from their movie CEs. Has anyone ever used one of those DVDs? Nope.

Everyone else understands this is the Manga thread rather than the AL one which is why they don't continuously bring completely irrelevant comparisons in to desperately shill for Manga.

I have used the DVDs a couple of times as all of my players bar one (which is located in my computer) are region A.

R

The rumor was manga(US)/UK and Al were working together I think it looks like they did for the audio/visual components the rest looks like is Anchor bay not knowing how to give a JP based show a release. "Japanese singing" I'm still dying

The thing is that way back when, Manga UK actually screwed up exactly the same way with 2nd Gig Volume 1 on DVD. The review discs went out with dubtitles, complete with "Japanese singing". Fortunately they had time to fix it before the retail release.

The rumor was manga(US)/UK and Al were working together I think it looks like they did for the audio/visual components the rest looks like is Anchor bay not knowing how to give a JP based show a release. "Japanese singing" I'm still dying
Reminds me of the subtitles for PSY's Gangnam Style on 4music.

"HE SINGS IN KOREAN.

Oppa... Gangnam Style!

HE SINGS IN KOREAN"

Ah, so someone dug out the original assets and stuck them back on the BDs without checking for corrections or having anyone with a critical eye take a look...

R

This would also explain why there has been no UK release details yet. If it was a port of the US discs they could release them pretty soon so they could be waiting for the French release to be finalised. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something at May's MCM comic con. As Rui said it may be worth asking Jerome direct.

Probably a good idea to raise the GitS issues with Manga quickly if anyone has their ear.

R

Because that worked so well with Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 with its mono audio, which they knew about a year beforehand.

Ah, so someone dug out the original assets and stuck them back on the BDs without checking for corrections or having anyone with a critical eye take a look...

R

But back then, they only screwed up one volume of seven in one series, not the whole 14 volumes across 2.

Last edited:
Back