Beez Entertainment too! Unconfirmed rumour as yet!

Ian Wolf said:
I think that not releasing a DVD just because it is only in subtitles is stupid.
Only if you believe that Manga is lying or exaggerating when they say that sub-only discs sell half as many copies. Half of a slim market is next to nothing (and look at the prices on the Durarara discs!).

vashdaman said:
Oi, my cock's not cold!
Leading news organisations are already aware of this.

i0HPG.jpg

ConanThe3rd said:
Rui said:
MB seem to be having a lot of difficulties lately though with delays and few new licenses (which actually come out). I worry about them.
I don't. If anything it's justice for half the crap they pulled

Cancel the dub of GaoGaiGar after I went though blood, sweat and tears to get the first five singles and then give Queen's Blade and Dokoro Chan dubs?

Far as I heard GaoGaiGar's dub was nothing to jump for joy over, also woo one show...you have my pity

Joshawott said:
but my Mum has suddenly taken £74 walkies...and she owes me £65 already.
I don't mean to be nasty or personal, but it upsets me a little bit when you post these "updates". :-/

Rui said:
Your mum..!
lolled at this, though.

Just Passing Through said:
Sod ebay!

They have the same terms on their website, so buying direct from them, as long as you select the Recorded Signed For option, will apparently skip customs. Note that if you don't select Recorded Signed For, they don't accept responsibility for loss in transit. It's the same price as minimal rest of the world though.
A most intriguing link, thank you.

Mohawk52 said:
I'm starting to find that seeing companies that are still doing dubs is a good barometer of the fiscal health of that company and when a company starts doing just sub only, it's a bad sign and not long we hear and see them die.
I agree. I feel it goes something like this:

Have money and release lots of dubs > lose money on them and have to go sub-only.

I am sure you do not approve of such a practical assessment, though.

vashdaman said:
Oi, my cock's not cold!
Once again, vash takes the post of the thread award.

Otaku-san said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Rui said:
MB seem to be having a lot of difficulties lately though with delays and few new licenses (which actually come out). I worry about them.
I don't. If anything it's justice for half the crap they pulled

Cancel the dub of GaoGaiGar after I went though blood, sweat and tears to get the first five singles and then give Queen's Blade and Dokoro Chan dubs?

Far as I heard GaoGaiGar's dub was nothing to jump for joy over, also woo one show...you have my pity

Well you have my pity, MB Just got downsized to 40%.

Not that I don't feel sympathetic to that 60% (lord knows they didn't go "Yeah, those three Genshiken OVA episodes? You're going to have to gargle down Kujibiki Unbalance for us) but this was a company who thought Queen's Blade and Dokoro-chan were a solid foundation for business. Hint; they're not.

If only MB had dubbed all of GaoGaiGar, they might have done better ;p

I'm afraid QB is likely to be a much stronger seller than that, and MB were certainly willing to dub GaoGaiGar, but no audience ever appeared. I bought it but not for the dub. I'm not at all surprised at the bad news as they have been struggling for ages, but I do hope they can turn things around. MB have been small before and their boss is very passionate, so hopefully they'll survive.

I wonder if traditional roles like in-house translation (which I understand is usually outsourced anyway, but perhaps not in these older companies) are being hit by the existence of streaming subs. It could be that trimming some of the jobs which aren't needed in this changing distribution model will make things more profitable. Proof readers, however, are always appreciated...

Never understood the Genshiken OAV problem, it wasn't like Kujibiki Unbalance was priced significantly higher than the OAV would have been on its own as a single disc, anyway, and some of the parodies in Genshiken referred to KujiUn TV as well so it was nice to watch.

R

The problem was that I would have rather done some rather nasty things involving the ingestion of faeces with a straw than buy Kujibiki Unbalance to say nothing of Queen's Blade (something that, even in it's now increcingly obsolete role, the Dinosaur Empire would ban outright) or Dokoro Chan (Which is, by far, the most spiteful show I've ever had the misfortune to watch).

The above (minus Kujibiki) were ways of getting some money into the war funds, not the bricks one builds a fortress upon.

*hugs my Code Geass R2 singles* Still, I know people who will not be happy to hear this.

Also, has anyone received their copies of Cowboy Bebop? Amazon lists it as 5-8 weeks, HMV has it out of stick, Play.com lists as in-stock but when I try and order it actually says "Updating stock" and Zavvi has it at "usually dispatched within a month".

R2 Anime Legends is still listed at HMV. Either they know something that nobody else does, or they're slow. I'm thinking the latter is more likely, but I'm keeping my pre-order for now. Either way, I'm not that bothered as I don't really care about Code Geass.

Joshawott said:
*hugs my Code Geass R2 singles* Still, I know people who will not be happy to hear this.
Well they should've paid up for the half-season sets, then, like you did. It's because of people wanting anime but not wanting to pay as little as £2 per episode (pretty sure the sets were available for around £25 each on release) that companies like Beez are struggling to survive.

I'm guessing that there is a delayed release as opposed to a permanent cancellation, and that's all that I'm saying for now...Still anticipating More Bebop Stock.

fabricatedlunatic said:
R2 Anime Legends is still listed at HMV. Either they know something that nobody else does, or they're slow. I'm thinking the latter is more likely, but I'm keeping my pre-order for now. Either way, I'm not that bothered as I don't really care about Code Geass.

Joshawott said:
Well they should've paid up for the half-season sets, then, like you did. It's because of people wanting anime but not wanting to pay as little as £2 per episode (pretty sure the sets were available for around £25 each on release) that companies like Beez are struggling to survive.

In this case it's less about pricing and Beez struggling to survive, than it is about Namco Bandai pulling the plug on their US and European distribution.

There will always be people who want deluxe shiny stuff, day of release, and there will always be people who want stuff next to nothing in budget boxsets 12 months down the line. That's the way the entertainment industry has always worked, it isn't going to change now.

But if not for plummeting sales then Namco Bandai would likely not have pulled the plug.

I don't have a problem with people waiting for budget releases at all. But if some of those people are going to be upset at this cancellation (if it is indeed a cancellation) then they only have themselves to blame.

I should point out that I'm not directing these comments at anyone here.

fabricatedlunatic said:
But if not for plummeting sales then Namco Bandai would likely not have pulled the plug.

Agreed that negative business conditions caused Namco Bandai to make this decision, but we don't know what those negative business conditions are.

Poor performance domestically may have resulted in them scaling back their foreign operations to consolidate and restructure. Beez and/or Bandai Ent may have been performing adequately (in profit but not spectacularly enough) for them to decide to cut their losses. They may just be transitioning away from physical distribution altogether as a overhaul of their business strategy. We just don't know.

But we do know that the industry overall is in a slump, and it's very likely that Beez and Bandai Ent weren't meeting expectations. I doubt any business is meeting expectations these days, except liquidators, debt collectors, and bankruptcy lawyers... If fans don't have the money to spend, no amount of day 1 purchasing is going to help.

Back