Beez Entertainment too! Unconfirmed rumour as yet!

Good to hear some communication about this.

However:

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:
*hugs my Code Geass R2 singles* Still, I know people who will not be happy to hear this.
Well they should've paid up for the half-season sets, then, like you did. It's because of people wanting anime but not wanting to pay as little as £2 per episode (pretty sure the sets were available for around £25 each on release) that companies like Beez are struggling to survive.

I think that's a bit short sighted.

You're always going to find folks in any fan base who simply can't or won't justify that sot of spending on brand new, flashy products.

The difficulty with the whole 'if people aren't prepared to pay £X per episode...' argument is that, quite apart from that, that sort of sum of money for however big a slice of entertainment is always going to make people balk.

Also, what's to say that folks who are unhappy about the cancellation (and I'm one of them - watch me bang my drum about this, thank you very much!) aren't spending their hard earned cash on other anime. Maybe anime that's being put out by Bandai / Beez?

And let's be honest - what incentive is was there for anybody to pick up the premium priced single volumes when it became clear that anything Beez released would find its way to Anime Legends sooner or later?

The biggest problem in this instance is that with Beez stock obliterated by that fire, seeking out previous unsold single volumes becomes more than a chore, and the AL release becomes less a budget option than it is the only option for some people.

As I said in my follow-up post, I don't have a problem with how people spend their money. I'd like fans to value anime a bit more than they do, but I realise that we all have different ideas about the fuzzy concept known as "worth". I won't pay Japanese prices but I think £25-35 for 13 episodes of a show I really want is reasonable. Someone else may regard that as too expensive.

My issue, and I realise I was jumping the gun, is with anyone who really wants to own Geass R2 and could have afforded the original release but didn't buy it, and is now angry/upset/whatever at the cancellation (which now appears to be more of a delay).

As for incentive to buy premium priced volumes: nicer packaging, getting it quicker, wanting to show support for that kind of release, etc.

Joshawott said:
Also, has anyone received their copies of Cowboy Bebop? Amazon lists it as 5-8 weeks, HMV has it out of stick, Play.com lists as in-stock but when I try and order it actually says "Updating stock" and Zavvi has it at "usually dispatched within a month".

I ordered my Cowboy Bebop from Amazon and got it last week. Is it out of stock already?! That's insane.

R2 was in two meaty single cour sets, calling them singles feels a little unfair.

As disappointments in anime go, I see not being able to match spines or having to pay a few pounds more (and that's all it is, if you shop around and don't let them fall further out of print) for the previous sets as a fairly minor thing. Losing Turn A due to the company no longer existing (effectively, as a fan) is a much more substantial blow.

It's true that companies releasing cheaper sets kills off the first edition stuff, but it's a bit late to fix that now when the company has apparently left the market and fans clamoured endlessly to get the Anime Legends stuff going in the first place. Bandai in the US didn't always release a cheap set (some series never made it out of singles at all - genuine singles where collecting them was actually annoying).

Is Bebop cursed or something? It seems to have enormous trouble staying in print over here :s

R

Just Passing Through said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
R2 Anime Legends is still listed at HMV. Either they know something that nobody else does, or they're slow. I'm thinking the latter is more likely, but I'm keeping my pre-order for now. Either way, I'm not that bothered as I don't really care about Code Geass.

Joshawott said:
*hugs my Code Geass R2 singles* Still, I know people who will not be happy to hear this.
Well they should've paid up for the half-season sets, then, like you did. It's because of people wanting anime but not wanting to pay as little as £2 per episode (pretty sure the sets were available for around £25 each on release) that companies like Beez are struggling to survive.

In this case it's less about pricing and Beez struggling to survive, than it is about Namco Bandai pulling the plug on their US and European distribution.

There will always be people who want deluxe shiny stuff, day of release, and there will always be people who want stuff next to nothing in budget boxsets 12 months down the line. That's the way the entertainment industry has always worked, it isn't going to change now.

I just prefer to have an entire series in a single release, it's good for my feng shui :p That said I bought CG R1 in singles because I didn't know we'd be getting AL releases at the time and then just followed suit with R2 to match. With Gundam 00 though I sold my singles to buy the AL release because DEM SINGLE BOXES IS HEWG!

Seriously. It's at least 60% air in those boxes, there's no need for it.

Yeah, those Gundam 00 single boxes are huge. I honestly find them to be a bit tacky as well, due to wear and tear.

Rui said:
Is Bebop cursed or something? It seems to have enormous trouble staying in print over here :s

R
Tell me about it. I still don't own it 9.9.

I found the 00 single boxes handy for storing all of the bits of paper which come stuck to the book-style packs (e.g. Geass). I never know what to do with those as they contain a lot of useful information but can't just sit outside or flop around. At least with CDs I can usually tuck the obi inside the case.

R

Sparrowsabre7 said:
With Gundam 00 though I sold my singles to buy the AL release because DEM SINGLE BOXES IS HEWG!

No need for it, no. But I like my needless ostentation thank you.

Bloody minimalists and puritans.

Rui said:
I found the 00 single boxes handy for storing all of the bits of paper which come stuck to the book-style packs (e.g. Geass). I never know what to do with those as they contain a lot of useful information but can't just sit outside or flop around. At least with CDs I can usually tuck the obi inside the case.

R
True, good point there. I usually keep mine inside the boxes; even with the slim Code Geass and Sound of the Sky cases.

^^ I try to fold them up with as few tight, neat creases as it will take to be able to store them inside the packaging.

I have got more used to throwing at least some crap away though. I no longer keep obi from manga or LNs that is purely advertising, for example.

HdE said:
And let's be honest - what incentive is was there for anybody to pick up the premium priced single volumes when it became clear that anything Beez released would find its way to Anime Legends sooner or later?
Actually recognizing that if everyone waits for those budget releases, the company eventually goes out of business.

Just Passing Through said:
Poor performance domestically may have resulted in them scaling back their foreign operations to consolidate and restructure.
I have no facts to back this up, but I would be shocked if that was the case for Bamco this year.

Joshawott said:

Also, has anyone received their copies of Cowboy Bebop? Amazon lists it as 5-8 weeks, HMV has it out of stick, Play.com lists as in-stock but when I try and order it actually says "Updating stock" and Zavvi has it at "usually dispatched within a month".

Received mine with no issue, ordered it around the 10th of this month, got it within 5 days.

ayase said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
With Gundam 00 though I sold my singles to buy the AL release because DEM SINGLE BOXES IS HEWG!

No need for it, no. But I like my needless ostentation thank you.

Bloody minimalists and puritans.

But it's not ostentatious. It's a cheap carboard box. Code Geass's digipacks were ostentatious, they were solid and book like and looked like something you'd pay a premium for. Gundam 00's boxes were just big 'ol bits of carboard and they cost £15 more in total (£25 per 3 vols of 00, £30 per 2 of CG)

I'm trying to hoover up the last few beez things I want and haven't got as yet.

I got Witch Hunter Robin fairly easily, seems to still be in stock everywhere.

Got Gurnen Lagann, but had to search hard to find somewhere selling it for less than 20 quid that wasn't play.com (have issues with them and will never use again)

I'm having a lot of problems getting hold of Planetes. Have had 2 sites already say they have it in stock then cancel the order on me. Amazon said they had more coming in on the 25th, and then pulled the listing and changed it to 'unavailable'. Even CEX doesn't have it. The only uk websites I have seen it on are dodgy looking ones I am scared to buy from. I have seen a few people with the R1s in stock so may have to settle for those.

I want to add Tatami Galaxy to my list, but I am all out of funds for now. If I get any money for my birthday next week I know where it will be going.

Corra said:
I'm trying to hoover up the last few beez things I want and haven't got as yet.

I got Witch Hunter Robin fairly easily, seems to still be in stock everywhere.

Got Gurnen Lagann, but had to search hard to find somewhere selling it for less than 20 quid that wasn't play.com (have issues with them and will never use again)

May I enquire as to the issue? Just curious.

Two issues really. The first is that either a massivly high number of my orders go lost in the post or somebody at the local sorting office robs anything they see coming from play . This probably isn't plays fault but it puts me off ordering from them .

The 2nd is last time I ordered from them my parcel got lost . I waited 28 days to claim as per there rules . I sent in claim form, they lost it . I sent a second form by recorded delivery which they signed for and lost. I sent in a 3rd which went as above . The forth time they got it and finaly refunded the item .

They also on one ocasion sent me the wrong item which I had to post back for a refund . It got lost .....

I've only had a problem once, which was when I ordered Whisper of the Heart on DVD and they sent me Afro Samurai. Returned and it was quickly fixed.

Back