Beez Entertainment Discussion

ilmaestro said:
JohnC said:
That'll be me not buying then. 2 sets max for that length of series.
Nothing against you personally, but this is just further evidence of the Spoiled Anime Generation.
It's nothing to do with being spoiled, or indeed limited to just anime. I've always refused to buy releases with a handful of episodes, including when US TV shows were released on VHS, as much for space as price. And in a time when it has become normal for ~13-26 episode releases, apart from a few stubborn releases, this is one vestige of the "good old days" that should not be acceptable.

People didn't have a choice before. But now it's easier than ever to get stuff for free illegally. That's the competition. I'm happy to pay release day prices for a product that isn't split into more parts than it needs to be, otherwise, I'll just wait for the box set, like I did with Gurren Lagann despite being a favourite show. Hell, I've even imported a handful of Japanese Blu-ray releases, so it definitely isn't all about price.

Well, congratualations on speeding the Western anime industry to its grave. But hey, you can still get things really easy illegally, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It's not about price, but things have to be released in a certain number of parts?! Read your post back and seriously consider if it makes any sort of cohesive sense.

I'd also like to know which Japanese BDs you've imported that were in some way more economical than this release. Can I assume they were £250+ boxsets that you were happy buying because they were released in just one "part"?

ilmaestro said:
Well, congratualations on speeding the Western anime industry to its grave. But hey, you can still get things really easy illegally, so I guess it doesn't matter.

It's not about price, but things have to be released in a certain number of parts?! Read your post back and seriously consider if it makes any sort of cohesive sense.

I'd also like to know which Japanese BDs you've imported that were in some way more economical than this release. Can I assume they were £250+ boxsets that you were happy buying because they were released in just one "part"?
Thanks for not reading and for putting words in my mouth.

How am I speeding the western industry to its grave? Am I really killing it by not buying Gurren Lagann, Durarara!! and this show until there's a box set, when I will buy it? Or are you being overly dramatic?

I believe I already explained it's not all about price. There's a number of considerations.

As for imports, it's only movies I've imported from Japan, not series.

I'm against putting VHS style limits on each disc because we aren't in the VHS days any more.

The problem is that they need to make a profit, and for some expensive shows it's not viable to instantly put out a cheap set. The limitations aren't there to scalp us so much as to make a series viable.

The companies are to blame too for training buyers to think in a "must wait for a set!" way, though even then it was only some companies which did it and they ended up creating this culture and making it harder on the companies who relied on the singles model to balance their books :s

R

Shiroi Hane said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
I think I hear an "In my day..." coming =P
In my day you had to pay £20 for 3-5 episodes and were lucky to get a quid off using an MVC membership card.

Thanks for vindicating me =D

I do think you mis-read a little there ilmae. I appreciate the points you're both trying to make, but I too tend to prefer waiting for boxsets. Not so much for price but for space issues and also because I don't like digipaks so with beez I generally need to wait on the boxset. Code Geass being one of the exceptions.

Hmm. I've always argued for UK prices to be more in line with the US and through things like the Anime Legends line they are getting there. It's not really fair to blame UK fans for not supporting their domestic industry when importing a perfectly legal English language copy was (and in many cases still is) much cheaper. That's just healthy free-market competition... Well, if not for the import taxes it would be.

I can't blame the UK industry for the way they act though. As Rui says, they have to make a profit at the end of the day and aren't going to work for nothing or release things which won't sell. This, I think, shows that the problem doesn't lie with the UK fans or the UK industry: Rather it lies with the UK itself as an economic zone. It's too small and too protectionist to be viable any longer. EU wide releases wouldn't work as there are so many different languages and laws. However, allow me to propose a solution:

The UKUSA Free Trade Zone. The lifting of all import and export taxes, tariffs and the harmonisation (or better, complete scrapping) of censorship laws and sales taxes across the English speaking countries of the world. This would allow for the same product to be sold the world over, cutting production costs and massively increasing potential sales. Of course, the UK industry as we know it would indeed die. But so too would the other regional industries, instead giving rise to a stronger, wealthier and more powerful multinational (FuniMangaManDai Entertainment anyone?) with a mandate for the entire English speaking world. I can't think of a single convincing argument against such a development. It would of course require the co-operation (or removal) of a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future.

JohnC said:
How am I speeding the western industry to its grave? Am I really killing it by not buying Gurren Lagann, Durarara!! and this show until there's a box set, when I will buy it? Or are you being overly dramatic?
You specifically... it's hard for me to argue that. The attitude in general though (since I believe it would be equally hard for you to argue that it was only you who felt this way), I genuinely believe that will be the end result of it.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I do think you mis-read a little there ilmae. I appreciate the points you're both trying to make, but I too tend to prefer waiting for boxsets. Not so much for price but for space issues and also because I don't like digipaks so with beez I generally need to wait on the boxset. Code Geass being one of the exceptions.
Hmm, I am seriously intrigued by the claim of "not so much" the price in this instance, but I guess it's hard to firm that up much. "I don't like digipacks" is most definitely Spoiled Anime Generation business. :p

JohnC said:
People didn't have a choice before. But now it's easier than ever to get stuff for free illegally. That's the competition. I'm happy to pay release day prices for a product that isn't split into more parts than it needs to be, otherwise, I'll just wait for the box set, like I did with Gurren Lagann despite being a favourite show. Hell, I've even imported a handful of Japanese Blu-ray releases, so it definitely isn't all about price.

The problem I have with it is that in a world with functioning rules, people choose between having the product in a way that perfectly suits their whims, or not having the product at all. I absolutely understand the position of only wanting to buy something which meets your personal standards, if not for the 'competition' angle noted above. I would personally like to receive every series speedily (on par with the Japanese home video release) with soft subs. Everything should come in a combo pack, with a reasonable degree of quality control and no dub. And all seiyuu extras. Oh, and with a chipboard box. And with a Date Masamune dakimura in every pack. I don't mind paying for this level of quality.

However, if it turns out that a series I want is released in a way that doesn't fit my ideal, I have to make the judgement call - do I want to see the series anyway, or can I live without it?

So the attitude quoted above (apologies for singling you out, it's a widespread thing I know and some old bag like me moaning on a forum isn't going to change the universe) rubs me up all the wrong way because it shows that 'fans' are getting the best of both worlds. They are enjoying whatever they like, and only paying for the 'perfect' releases. It doesn't seem fair or sustainable as there comes a point where no matter how great a release is, there will be people whose wants are so specific it won't sell. And then there won't be a sequel, or a quality series will go unlicensed, or we get increasingly grotty releases as companies cut costs, and I feel like the people who lose out most are those who actually cared enough to support shows they love in the first place.

R (also dreaming one day of Ayase's world which works only along surmountable language limitations rather than imaginary international trading boundaries)

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Hmm, I am seriously intrigued by the claim of "not so much" the price in this instance, but I guess it's hard to firm that up much. "I don't like digipacks" is most definitely Spoiled Anime Generation business. :p

I just prefer having boxsets because it's neater, but I wouldn't NOT buy something because it wasn't in a boxset or if it's a series I really like I'd want to buy singles for the purposes of supporting it.

As for digipaks, I fail to see how that's spoiled anime generation business. It's a blanket statement for all DVDs not just anime so it's not like I only recently began hating digipaks :p and as far as I'm aware only Beez has ever done digipaks and I've only recently bought anything from them.

How old are you anyway? I doubt you're too far off my age, but then I have literally no idea how old you might be :p

Not liking digipacks isn't being spoiled. It's more like being offered a Porsche 911 and replying "Nah, I'd rather have a Ford Mondeo".

ayase said:
Not liking digipacks isn't being spoiled. It's more like being offered a Porsche 911 and replying "Nah, I'd rather have a Ford Mondeo".

Digipacks are generally the ultimate in crapitude, vacuum formed plastic stuck on flimsy card, all to fold over into some wonderful contrivance of packaging. The vacuum formed plastic usually breaks, the glue binding it to the card decays and it just falls off, the discs held against the plastic scratch so bloody easily. They also take up way too much room. If you're using sports cars as metaphors then digipacks are the DeLorean of the packaging world. Look fine, but nothing under the bonnet, and a tendency to fall apart at the slightest breeze.

And don't get me started on F***ing Steelbooks, or Scanavos (snap the discs on the way out)

Amaray please.

Just Passing Through said:
Digipacks are generally the ultimate in crapitude, vacuum formed plastic stuck on flimsy card, all to fold over into some wonderful contrivance of packaging. The vacuum formed plastic usually breaks, the glue binding it to the card decays and it just falls off, the discs held against the plastic scratch so bloody easily.

I have a lot of digipacks and some are over 10 years old (my South Park Season 1 dvd's) and I have never had this problem, and considering I rewatch South Park about twice a year, they get used regularly.

And don't get me started on F***ing Steelbooks, or Scanavos (snap the discs on the way out)

Amaray please.

Each to their own, in my opinion Steelbooks are the master race of cases, especially the G2 sized Blu-Ray steelbooks.

What I do hate is slipcovers/slipcases. They're nice when you first get the item and look at it, but then when you have them in your collection, unless they're surrounded by titles with slipcovers, they just look out of place.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
As for digipaks, I fail to see how that's spoiled anime generation business. It's a blanket statement for all DVDs
As a general statement it's wonderfully spoiled First World Problem business. When you say it on here it becomes Spoiled Anime Generation business.

And age has very little to do with how spoiled you have allowed yourself to become. :p

MVM have just FB'd that one of the buildings where Beez's stock is held was torched in the riots, so expect a few weeks of delays.

"Due to the recent rioting and fires one of the building's that stored Beez stock has been burnt so there may be a delay in acquiring Beez stock for the next few weeks."

ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
As for digipaks, I fail to see how that's spoiled anime generation business. It's a blanket statement for all DVDs
As a general statement it's wonderfully spoiled First World Problem business. When you say it on here it becomes Spoiled Anime Generation business.

And age has very little to do with how spoiled you have allowed yourself to become. :p

Oh, in which case, yes it's certainly first world problem business. But I don't really see how I've been spoiled here. Surely being spoiled is getting used to something of superb standard and then complaining about something of a good standard even though there's nothing wrong with it.

I would say digipaks and amarays are equal in quality, it's just personal taste. I just don't like them. It would be like saying I'm spoiled for not liking a film in a genre I don't like.

ayase said:

What can I say. I like Mondeos :p

Back