Beez Entertainment Discussion

Having random thoughts regarding the .hack universe. Considering only Beez and Tokyopop seem to be supporting it, there's a bit of a gap when it comes to considering the second batch of PS2 games - games around which the anime/manga current series revolve.

There seems to be no games companies interested in releasing G.U. over here and was wondering if Beez themselves would ever have the facility to release it in Europe? After DVDs and music CDs, are games really that far out? (though it's a bit of a stretch in logic I'll admit! :lol: )

Ushio said:
Having random thoughts regarding the .hack universe. Considering only Beez and Tokyopop seem to be supporting it, there's a bit of a gap when it comes to considering the second batch of PS2 games - games around which the anime/manga current series revolve.

There seems to be no games companies interested in releasing G.U. over here and was wondering if Beez themselves would ever have the facility to release it in Europe? After DVDs and music CDs, are games really that far out? (though it's a bit of a stretch in logic I'll admit! :lol: )
Considering that they are Namco Bandai, you may think it is not much of a stretch at all. however the original .hack games were published by Atari who have a raft of problems at this minute (if they are even still afloat). I would love for the games to be released here, myself.

Time and Space said:
^True, but it's my understanding that in the 'ancient' universities of Scotland an MA isn't a postgraduate course as it is elsewhere. I could be wrong.

You're not entirely wrong - but it's not ancient universities of Scotland, just ancient ones - Edinburgh and Cambridge both have that system (there's another too but it evades me at the moment).

As for what my work entails - basically anything related to the UK market (PR, copywriting, marketing, TV-sales - you name it) just now - means I practically never stop working during the day (and night!)

As for how I ended up working full time for Beez whilst doing a university degree - I started out working as a translator - then ended up with an marketing internship at Beez one summer. During which time someone quit, leaving room for someone to take over the UK market, leaving me as Marketing Assistant. The rest, as they say, is history and leaves me where I am today in my current role as Marketing Consultant ^^.

Given I'm still in the job I guess I do a good enough job to stay in it ;).

Getting off topic but I debate the need for a degree as a whole, personally I value experience a lot more than a degree nowadays as they are unfortunately very easy to get. In fact everybody has one so it makes it very hard to place a value on one, especially undergraduate degrees as a whole*. I'm digressing though!

* There are obvious exceptions to this such as medicine, veterinary science etc.

beez_andrew said:
Time and Space said:
^True, but it's my understanding that in the 'ancient' universities of Scotland an MA isn't a postgraduate course as it is elsewhere. I could be wrong.

You're not entirely wrong - but it's not ancient universities of Scotland, just ancient ones - Edinburgh and Cambridge both have that system (there's another too but it evades me at the moment).

It's all the ancient universities of Scotland (not just Edinburgh) that do this, presumably for historical reasons. Oxford and Cambridge do the same, but in those cases you're not awarded the MA until several years after graduation. In Oxbridge you graduate with a BA and this gets upgraded to an MA later.

Noratav said:
beez_andrew said:
Time and Space said:

It's all the ancient universities of Scotland (not just Edinburgh) that do this, presumably for historical reasons. Oxford and Cambridge do the same, but in those cases you're not awarded the MA until several years after graduation. In Oxbridge you graduate with a BA and this gets upgraded to an MA later.

True - my point was more that to my knowledge it's just ancient universities in the UK as a whole. Cambridge + Oxford (where you get teh chance to upgrade later to an MA if you like, as I recall) do the same and there's at least one more outside of Edinburgh and St. Andrew's that does it - though I forget which atm!

So, bi-linguality got you the job, (in essence)
*envy*
I wish I could speak more than one language.
And have a guaranteed way of paying back my student loans, of course, you being in Scotland, probably have your tuition fees paid for. (or possibly not if you work fulltime)
*sigh*

Yeah, please become a 'life guidance thread', I need it...

Time and Space said:
So, bi-linguality got you the job, (in essence)

That's not really it at all - what got me the job was more the other factors I talked about above.

Language had very little to do with getting the job - although it is essential for day to day running of things - you can't work in or with a French office if you can't at least remotely understand what is going on after all ^^;.

If it was as easy as a case of "You're bilingual? Then come right this way!" then the world would be in a worse position as you could be losing millions for the company in expensive misplaced adverts at the same time or such!

Time and Space said:
I wish I could speak more than one language.
And have a guaranteed way of paying back my student loans, of course, you being in Scotland, probably have your tuition fees paid for. (or possibly not if you work fulltime)

There's nothing preventing you sitting down and learning a new language if you're so driven to :). It's harder past the age of 15 to learn new languages but that doesn't make it impossible! It may not be a golden ticket to getting work, but it doesn't hurt your chances :).

As for the a guaranteed way of paying loans back etc, there's never any definite's on that front sadly short of a lot of hard work, efficient budgeting and grind! Alternatively a lot of luck with gambling X_X.

</Life>

[life]

beez_andrew said:
That's not really it at all - what got me the job was more the other factors I talked about above.

Language had very little to do with getting the job - although it is essential for day to day running of things - you can't work in or with a French office if you can't at least remotely understand what is going on after all ^^;.

If it was as easy as a case of "You're bilingual? Then come right this way!" then the world would be in a worse position as you could be losing millions for the company in expensive misplaced adverts at the same time or such!

Obviously you need to be able to do your job well, but your previous post only really says that you entered the Beez door because you were able to translate. Hence, in essence, the fact you can speak French was a major part of getting you a job with them in the first place. (of course they would have taken other things into consideration, and then your position improved after you proved yourself a worthy employee, gained internship etc)

beez_andrew said:
There's nothing preventing you sitting down and learning a new language if you're so driven to :). It's harder past the age of 15 to learn new languages but that doesn't make it impossible! It may not be a golden ticket to getting work, but it doesn't hurt your chances :).
Oh, believe me there is. I tried learning Chinese, but for various reasons, I was unable to successfully continue learning it in my second year(this year). Mainly because amount of work, coupled with what i can only describe as undiagnosed depression. As soon as I can master my 'psychological' problems and then adequately engage with my university work, I plan to start studying Chinese again, if not in an institution(not mental :lol: ), then simply on my own initiative.

beez_andrew said:
As for the a guaranteed way of paying loans back etc, there's never any definite's on that front sadly short of a lot of hard work, efficient budgeting and grind! Alternatively a lot of luck with gambling X_X.

Yar, but having a job's a good start... :p

[/life] :p

Yeesh, someone save me and start talking about anime. :D

Time and Space said:
[life]
Oh, believe me there is. I tried learning Chinese, but for various reasons, I was unable to successfully continue learning it in my second year(this year). Mainly because amount of work, coupled with what i can only describe as undiagnosed depression. As soon as I can master my 'psychological' problems and then adequately engage with my university work, I plan to start studying Chinese again, if not in an institution(not mental :lol: ), then simply on my own initiative.
[/life]

Ever tried getting your undiagnosed problems diagnosed? I think almost everyone I've grown up with has gone through something like what you describe (the first person to suggest it has something to do with them knowing me gets a thump :p) and everyone responds to different things, but if you're struggling handling it yourself it's worth a try.

Go for Chinese anyway, I can't speak it for beans (utterly tonedeaf, never played an instrument either) but can read/hear a fair amount (Mandarin) and it's a terrifically useful language to pick up. The reading/writing alone you can easily work on on your own in your spare time without help and the grammar is so simple, then later on when you're more comfortable in your own skin and have time/money you can put more effort into fluency in speaking, which seems to come best from classes/tutors.

There's no denying a formal education opens doors for you but learning doesn't stop at the school/college/wherever gates by a long way!

Is there a Life Problems thread in Chit Chat somewhere?

Though even with the RL stuff the unmatched glimpses into andrew's experiences getting into the field half of us dream of are great. Makes the company seem a lot less like a faceless corporation and more like something the fans can identify with :D

R

Ryo Chan said:
any news on Beez aquiring Lucky Star then ;) (yes i know the answer but least it's an anime one :p)
Haha, I would hope it would get here a bit quicker, The same applies for the AUS release. I hope the R1 has a decent transfer so Beez (or whoever UK releases it) can get the highest quality material. Information for us though.. I figure probably won't be till around the end of '08 unless an surprise announcement comes.

Along with the same idea in mind, Andrew. Have Beez been looking out for some other Kadokawa USA releases?, I have Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in mind, Since that doesn't involve the release waiting period Lucky Star does.

beez_andrew said:
Noratav said:
beez_andrew said:
Time and Space said:

True - my point was more that to my knowledge it's just ancient universities in the UK as a whole. Cambridge + Oxford (where you get teh chance to upgrade later to an MA if you like, as I recall) do the same and there's at least one more outside of Edinburgh and St. Andrew's that does it - though I forget which atm!

The universities you're forgetting are Glasgow and Aberdeen, the other two ancient universities of Scotland. In each of these cases the MA is a historical anomoly dating back to a time when degree courses took a lot longer than they do now. All the other universities in the UK were founded in the 19th or 20th century, by which time things had presumably changed.

Back on topic, Assuming Manga no longer have the rights to it, is there any possibility of you releasing Wings of Honneamise? Madman recently did a R4 release based off the Bandai Visual US combo releases, and I'd love to see someone do the same overhere.

Rui said:
Ever tried getting your undiagnosed problems diagnosed?
R

Nah, don't worry, I can deal with it. It'll pass...eventually. And all this just because I expressed a desire to be bi-lingual. It would be great to be bi-lingual, and I am working towards it, albeit with a temporary delay. I can still express envy can't I?

Anyway, now that everyone considers me the resident mental patient, back on to anime talk. 8)

Mind Game...get Mind Game released... :wink:

Ryo Chan said:
any news on Beez aquiring Lucky Star then ;) (yes i know the answer but least it's an anime one :p)

*grins* Back into anime questions again - the answer to that is not so predictable!

In short - I'd like to see how Haruhi sells first, if it does well in the UK (which I hope it will) then I'll do my best to pursue that as soon as possible!

Jayme said:
Ryo Chan said:
Haha, I would hope it would get here a bit quicker, The same applies for the AUS release. I hope the R1 has a decent transfer so Beez (or whoever UK releases it) can get the highest quality material. Information for us though.. I figure probably won't be till around the end of '08 unless an surprise announcement comes.

Along with the same idea in mind, Andrew. Have Beez been looking out for some other Kadokawa USA releases?, I have Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in mind, Since that doesn't involve the release waiting period Lucky Star does.

We've listened to people's comments on previous DVDs quality wise so I now push for where possible attaining the best R2 master we can for each DVD :).

On the front of other Kadokawa titles, leave that with me - I'll look into it. You never know with that all though, as always with sublicenses like that matters are usually quite delicate.

I'm a very very big fan of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, in many ways to me it felt like the kind of film you would see if Studio Ghibli made an anime aimed more at the late teens to adult market. By far the biggest animated film for me in the last year or so :).

If I were to rub my crystal ball I'd say it's coming to the UK but probably not from Beez sadly :(.

Noratav said:
The universities you're forgetting are Glasgow and Aberdeen, the other two ancient universities of Scotland. In each of these cases the MA is a historical anomoly dating back to a time when degree courses took a lot longer than they do now. All the other universities in the UK were founded in the 19th or 20th century, by which time things had presumably changed.

*nods* Ah - for some reason I had it in the back of my head that there was one more outside of Scotland ^^;. Been ages since I looked it up though!

Back in topic again ^^;:

Noratav said:
Back on topic, Assuming Manga no longer have the rights to it, is there any possibility of you releasing Wings of Honneamise? Madman recently did a R4 release based off the Bandai Visual US combo releases, and I'd love to see someone do the same overhere.

I'll take a look into that - as it is conceivable and the film is a classic that deserves to be out there alongside shows such as Akira I'd go as far to say :).

Back