Beez Entertainment Discussion

harkins said:
Andrew, I know this isn't particularly relevant in this Beez thread but the problems of Geneon & ADV, could they partly be attributed to the saturation of the market? It has been great having so many titles to choose from but given that this is a niche market, have they just spread themselves too thinly?

Trickier question than it sounds! Short answer is yes, it does - but the long answer is that saturation of market is more of an added catalyst - not the real cause in either case.

Saturation of the market leads to decreased sales over titles that can't be classed as AAA titles - so people panic and want to cash in as much as they can to try and weather the storm out. In Geneon's case that meant changing their model to a more licensing house style one, meaning less overhead costs with good potential for profit still.

In ADV' case that seems to (from all the evidence available to everyone) points to boardroom scuffles - which is understandable really if the investors are getting squeamish.

So in both cases market saturation has a hand in it - but in neither cases was it the biggest factor. In a way even everyone is looking at ways to evolve just now so to speak :).

If that makes sense ^^;?

melonpan said:
Andrew, what do you think of the business model of having an English branch releasing animation studio specific titles, very much like Bandai does for Sunrise titles. Bandai seem to be doing very well, and seem to have had no financial problems, and always seem to be at the forefront of releasing premium items or trying out different release models.

Releasing titles from a specific animation studio means cutting costs, and potentially quicker releases. If the company has a good relationship with the Japanese company, it's much easier to get a title I would assume, and the more you release from that company the more it becomes a normality.

Maybe Funimation should release Gonzo and Bones titles, Bandai should release Sunrise and probably something else, and ADV could release Visual Key/Kyoto Animation productions.

The current business model is failing, so at least it could be tried?

I think the idea behind it is a workable one, the real problem is in reality Sunrise is actually a part of the Namco Bandai Group - which means that it is workable to release Sunrise titles via other branches of the NBG - such as Beez or Bandai Entertainment.

The real problem however comes from the fact Funimation, ADV etc are not actually a part of one of the Japanese company groups. This means that things aren't just as simple as sending them on internally - it doesn't guarantee a good revenue just setting up an agreement like that.

For example - each title released would need a set price per episode (hard to set as a generic number for a company as to make a profit you have to be able to raise the price etc). In addition you would need certain promises of x number of sales shifting and an advance on the amount you think you will sell. When not part of the same group the latter point is often essential - as it guarantees the job will be done to the best of their abilities and maximize everyone's profits (amongst other reasons).

So in the end it is a very nice idea, however when taken from paper to reality it falls through sadly. That being said other business models can be stable, take MVM's - which is a low cost operation that outsources a lot of the work to paid and highly competent professionals. That's a model that may not rake in the cash by the millions, but it also isn't crippling.

On the upside, there are other models that do work as well :).

beez_andrew said:
melonpan said:
Andrew, what do you think of the business model of having an English branch releasing animation studio specific titles, very much like Bandai does for Sunrise titles. Bandai seem to be doing very well, and seem to have had no financial problems, and always seem to be at the forefront of releasing premium items or trying out different release models.

Releasing titles from a specific animation studio means cutting costs, and potentially quicker releases. If the company has a good relationship with the Japanese company, it's much easier to get a title I would assume, and the more you release from that company the more it becomes a normality.

Maybe Funimation should release Gonzo and Bones titles, Bandai should release Sunrise and probably something else, and ADV could release Visual Key/Kyoto Animation productions.

The current business model is failing, so at least it could be tried?

I think the idea behind it is a workable one, the real problem is in reality Sunrise is actually a part of the Namco Bandai Group - which means that it is workable to release Sunrise titles via other branches of the NBG - such as Beez or Bandai Entertainment.

The real problem however comes from the fact Funimation, ADV etc are not actually a part of one of the Japanese company groups. This means that things aren't just as simple as sending them on internally - it doesn't guarantee a good revenue just setting up an agreement like that.

For example - each title released would need a set price per episode (hard to set as a generic number for a company as to make a profit you have to be able to raise the price etc). In addition you would need certain promises of x number of sales shifting and an advance on the amount you think you will sell. When not part of the same group the latter point is often essential - as it guarantees the job will be done to the best of their abilities and maximize everyone's profits (amongst other reasons).

So in the end it is a very nice idea, however when taken from paper to reality it falls through sadly. That being said other business models can be stable, take MVM's - which is a low cost operation that outsources a lot of the work to paid and highly competent professionals. That's a model that may not rake in the cash by the millions, but it also isn't crippling.

On the upside, there are other models that do work as well :).

Many thanks for the reply =).

I think it'd be nice to see more investment from the Japanese industry, into English companies. It's just probably not going to happen again, as it seems the Japanese companies want nothing to do with the English industry, Dentsu pulled out, and now there may be problems with Sojitz.
EDIT: Just reading Gawyn's post, that reminds me that of course Viz are doing well with their Japanese parent companies.

Ah well.

Just so people know - as I know there were a lot of questions about the release before, but I've spent the last few working days proofing the board game for Gundam Seed box 2.

The release will be a blend of Snakes and Ladders with lots of question and events cards so there's a feel of Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit to the game as well :). I'll have more details as they come, but the board is somewhere you wouldn't immediately consider...

Artworks to follow! Sorry for slow replies at present but things are very hectic at the moment for reasons that will be apparent very very soon I promise!

</mystery>

beez_andrew said:
Just so people know - as I know there were a lot of questions about the release before, but I've spent the last few working days proofing the board game for Gundam Seed box 2.

The release will be a blend of Snakes and Ladders with lots of question and events cards so there's a feel of Monopoly/Trivial Pursuit to the game as well :). I'll have more details as they come, but the board is somewhere you wouldn't immediately consider...

Artworks to follow! Sorry for slow replies at present but things are very hectic at the moment for reasons that will be apparent very very soon I promise!

</mystery>

Beez saving us from repeat after repeat on AC?

i can dream :wink:

Ryo Chan said:

Naah, That'd Never Happen. I would be going for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya release since April is nigh. Beez would be the most logical for it I would think. Since, that would explain the busyness as well if they are working out the types of extras they could give us - Or just the release in general. I expect a press release stating that my assumption is the truth soon enough. ;p

<3

Jayme said:
Ryo Chan said:

Naah, That'd Never Happen. I would be going for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya release since April is nigh. Beez would be the most logical for it I would think. Since, that would explain the busyness as well if they are working out the types of extras they could give us - Or just the release in general. I expect a press release stating that my assumption is the truth soon enough. ;p

<3

could be info on Lucky Star too

Hi! I have 2 questions, one related to Beez and one that's more of a general question.

1: I noticed a Beez Gundam Seed box set has appeared on Find-DVD. When browsing on Amazon.com previously, I recall reading about the first (of two) Anime Legends sets having severe issues, such as some of the DVD's included in the set not working at all for a lot of people who purchased it.

I know the sets aren't going to be the same since Anime Legends sets don't get released over here. The reason for questioning you about this issue is because one of your Cowboy Bebop releases had the same fault as the R1 release, so I'm worried in case the Gundam Seed DVD's you released over have will the same issues.

2: Do you know if Beez or any other UK distributor currently has plans to license Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo? I'm guessing you would've heard something if there has been any talk of someone picking it up.

If you've heard any rumours of it being licensed, I'll happily wait for it to be released. While I am usually against paying the prices of Bandai/Beez DVD's, in this case I'd happily pay £60 for a Beez box set.

My reason for asking is that I'm torn between importing the series for a lot of money before it vanishes and waiting to see if anyone is going to bring it out over here.

Thanks x2 in advance!

Hi! Just passing by the office briefly to grab some things, but figure it wouldn't hurt to answer in passing ^^.

Aion said:
Hi! I have 2 questions, one related to Beez and one that's more of a general question.

1: I noticed a Beez Gundam Seed box set has appeared on Find-DVD. When browsing on Amazon.com previously, I recall reading about the first (of two) Anime Legends sets having severe issues, such as some of the DVD's included in the set not working at all for a lot of people who purchased it.

I know the sets aren't going to be the same since Anime Legends sets don't get released over here. The reason for questioning you about this issue is because one of your Cowboy Bebop releases had the same fault as the R1 release, so I'm worried in case the Gundam Seed DVD's you released over have will the same issues.

I can guarantee you the DVDs will not have the same problems as those the Anime Legends sets had as we will be using the same DVDs used in the standard release. This will include the bonus ending that wasn't originally in the US release :).

So you can rest at ease on that front, come launch given its price I'll see what I can do about setting up some good deals on it if at all possible! The board game we're developing for the second set is coming along well too - almost at the final stages now and it's looking like it'll be an entertaining game right in time for convention season!

Aion said:
2: Do you know if Beez or any other UK distributor currently has plans to license Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo? I'm guessing you would've heard something if there has been any talk of someone picking it up.

If you've heard any rumours of it being licensed, I'll happily wait for it to be released. While I am usually against paying the prices of Bandai/Beez DVD's, in this case I'd happily pay £60 for a Beez box set.

My reason for asking is that I'm torn between importing the series for a lot of money before it vanishes and waiting to see if anyone is going to bring it out over here.

Heh, I'm an amazingly big fan of Gankutsuou so I can understand exactly where you're coming from! Along with Chevalier D'Eon that series was just MEANT to be dubbed in French. As for the license, at present I have no news about it but on a personal note I'd love to release it over here so it's always at the back of my mind. That being said as it was a Geneon release if you do prefer to import instead of taking the risk of waiting and it not happening, I advise you do it sooner rather than later!

Aion said:
Thanks x2 in advance!

My pleasure, have a nice weekend!

Hey Andrew, Do beez have offices in Edinburgh? or is that just your home town?

Also, any news on Tokyo Tribes 2? or is it still being watched in France.

Nyu said:

Re: Edinburgh - it's where I'm based at the moment - not my home town though :).

Regarding Tokyo Tribes 2, we just finished release in FR so we're taking a look at that at the moment while waiting for the dust to settle so we can see the sales figures in France etc :).

beez_andrew said:
Nyu said:

Re: Edinburgh - it's where I'm based at the moment - not my home town though :).

Regarding Tokyo Tribes 2, we just finished release in FR so we're taking a look at that at the moment while waiting for the dust to settle so we can see the sales figures in France etc :).

Any chance of a summer job? :lol: Are you doing your course at one of the universitys in the city? what one?

Nyu said:
beez_andrew said:
Nyu said:

Any chance of a summer job? :lol: Are you doing your course at one of the universitys in the city? what one?

Heh, sadly by summer time I'm not sure where I'll be ^^;. Outside of work, I'm just in the process of finishing off a dual honours MA in Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Edinburgh :).

It keeps me very busy anyway, full time work + final year of a joint honours degree!

Ah, i'm at Heriot Watt. Pft. Dual honours and a job at beez is nothing! work harder!

If you ever need a hand give me a shout, i'll take some freebies as a method of payment :lol:

Wow, that must be hard work Andrew (though, admittedly, I don't really know what your work entails). Isn't an MA at Edindurgh essentially an undergraduate course? If that's so, might I ask how you managed to land a full time job with Beez? :? (unless this isn't your first time at uni! Or, a degree was unnescessary?)

Time and Space said:
Wow, that must be hard work Andrew (though, admittedly, I don't really know what your work entails). Isn't an MA at Edindurgh essentially an undergraduate course? If that's so, might I ask how you managed to land a full time job with Beez? :? (unless this isn't your first time at uni! Or, a degree was unnescessary?)
Unless it is unlike other universities, a Masters degree is generally a post-graduate course meaning you start having studied a degree beforehand.

^True, but it's my understanding that in the 'ancient' universities of Scotland an MA isn't a postgraduate course as it is elsewhere. I could be wrong.

Back