Beez Entertainment Discussion

Conan-san said:
Tasker said:
Conan-san said:
beez_andrew said:
Spimmy said:
i wonder what are the chances of beez of geting
full metal panic the second raid

Answer is I'm a big fan of FMP: TSR, I know the figures roughly for FMP and Fumoffu and it's one I'd love to do here. Fortunately we have the same chances of it as anyone else in the UK as Funimation do not hold UK rights to it!

At present though I have no idea what the situation is around it making it so hard to license, I'll take a look though :).
I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that it's a three way clusterfuck between ADV, Funi and Kadokawa

Kadokawa own the rights, they decided to release Second Raid in the US hireing Funimation to handle the translating/distribution.

Funimation in turn, decided they wanted to use the same voice actors as previous and hired ADV to do the dubbing.

How was it a Flustercuck?
Simply put, Kadokawa has no real offical offices over here so it's a three way punch up between ADV, Funi (Read Manga/Revolation/MVM) and Beezs to see who gets it, which, by the time that's over, people will have bought the R1's anyway.

Ahh, right, i'm with you now. I didn't realise you meant over here.

...So I bought the Wolf's Rain box. It is withoutout doubt the most high quality DVD set I own - and for less than the fairly basic individual volumes and boxes. Very well done guys. Any more sets of a similar quality in the pipeline Andrew? A Planetes one made from a peice of Mir perhaps? ;)

A little tip to anyone worried about the card pages - take the discs out then gently bend them fully open and run your thumb along the inside edge. It's very well bound at the spine, you just need to create a slight fold (in either of both directions) where the page meets the binding and they'll open a lot easier. :)

Just wondering beez_andrew why Beez are not putting much effort to encourage sales through their own Website. The UK sales page which is handled by the Bandai uk is not laid out that well and has not even got some of the latest title for sales on there.

http://www.bandai.co.uk/title-page.aspx?BR_ID=13

With single dvds selling 1000 each or less, box sets from selling around 500 each and limitied edition set to only 500 also. I can't see why not in future a big chunk of those anime dvds could be made through beez website increasing the profitability and hopefully making it cheaper for buyers.

Dave said:
Just wondering beez_andrew why Beez are not putting much effort to encourage sales through their own Website. The UK sales page which is handled by the Bandai uk is not laid out that well and has not even got some of the latest title for sales on there.

With single dvds selling 1000 each or less, box sets from selling around 500 each and limitied edition set to only 500 also. I can't see why not in future a big chunk of those anime dvds could be made through beez website increasing the profitability and hopefully making it cheaper for buyers.
Most of the companies realise that thier own websites are unlikely to offer the best prices, at the expo one company rep said words to the effect of " well the RRP is £15 so you should be able to get it of Play.com for £12". Other than when there is a sale on very few of us are going to bother with the company store. Also think the Bandi store is one of those that has to be translate into many lanuages quickly and those are either expensive, take a long time or generally not very good.

hopeful_monster said:
Dave said:

Most of the companies realise that thier own websites are unlikely to offer the best prices, at the expo one company rep said words to the effect of " well the RRP is £15 so you should be able to get it of Play.com for £12". Other than when there is a sale on very few of us are going to bother with the company store. Also think the Bandi store is one of those that has to be translate into many lanuages quickly and those are either expensive, take a long time or generally not very good.

Well mvm run a successful online store http://www.anime-on-line.com, I spent over £150+ with them myself and I like to get the best price possible.

Selling through a retailer means the retailer are the middle men and so they must be makeing some profit which cuts into the profit of a title which could be going to be UK anime company if sold direct. Also take into account retailers send back lots of old stock and that burning into profits dealing with that.

They already got online shop set up ( see the link in the previous post) they just to simply adjust to include all there titles and make the setup a bit better (so A-Z, search, etc). Also doing special offers, maybe earlier releases dates for pre ordered titles ordered direct, etc.

Its not meant to do away with other retaliers, but something to run aside the retailers and can be something successful like http://www.anime-on-line.com is.

The fact is that the vast majority of people who buy anime are going to buy it in B&M stores or more-so online from retailers who are well known (play.com/Amazon), I bet if you did a random poll of 200 people who buy anime DVDs, less than 10% would say they even knew about a Bandai store. It just isn't practical.

It's a good question though, and it's something I asked about way back in this very thread.

EDIT: Here is the link to Andrews answer to it.

So I thought the Wolf's Rain boxset was limited to 500 copies? Since at the back of my copy it has No. 1022, did you make more or something?

Also, I'm thoroughly pleased with the layout of it, probably the best boxset I have. A little hard to open the book fully though. lol.

beez_andrew said:
Glad to hear it arrived safely!

What has happened I think is the boxes got mixed between FR and UK so the same boxes are used but contents are different, total number of units between the UK and France were 2000 (1.5 for FR, 500 for the UK).
Hope this helps answere your question Lupus.

melonpan said:
The fact is that the vast majority of people who buy anime are going to buy it in B&M stores or more-so online from retailers who are well known (play.com/Amazon), I bet if you did a random poll of 200 people who buy anime DVDs, less than 10% would say they even knew about a Bandai store. It just isn't practical.

It's a good question though, and it's something I asked about way back in this very thread.

People don't know about the beez sales shop as they never even try to encourage sales through there shop website. Which is not updated with new releases, poorly laided out which quick fix sort out or any special offers to speak with.

At least companies like MVM try to encourage sales through themselves with 1 pound dvd promotions & 4.99 dvd offers, etc. They are not going to make anything on 1 pound dvds but surely they going to make 3+ pound of 4.99 dvds which is frankly a lot more than they likely will make on each of the anime dvds in the currently £5.99 play.com mvm promotion sales. After buying a few items directly from mvm, I check regularly for new offers.

You not going to get anything over night, but a gradual improvement on there beez web shop can be only beneficial to themselves.

Dave said:
melonpan said:

People don't know about the beez sales shop as they never even try to encourage sales through there shop website. Which is not updated with new releases, poorly laided out which quick fix sort out or any special offers to speak with.

At least companies like MVM try to encourage sales through themselves with 1 pound dvd promotions & 4.99 dvd offers, etc. They are not going to make anything on 1 pound dvds but surely they going to make 3+ pound of 4.99 dvds which is frankly a lot more than they likely will make on each of the anime dvds in the currently £5.99 play.com mvm promotion sales. After buying a few items directly from mvm, I check regularly for new offers.

You not going to get anything over night, but a gradual improvement on there beez web shop can be only beneficial to themselves.

The Bandai shop isn't "Anime-on-line", Anime-on-line has been running for years and built up wholesaler/distributor relations. Beez/Bandai obviously don't have any intention of doing such a venture, and I don't blame them, I'd imagine they'd only be able to sell Bandai/Beez products too, since the shop is under the Bandai label.

Beez are a producer/distributor, not a retailer, I wouldn't be surprised if Beez aren't even directly linked to the Bandai webshop.

I guess if Beez wanted to do such a venture it could work though, as demonstrated by A-o-L, and the US/UK ADV websites. I guess the cost from setting up and running such a venture and investing the time to make it work really isn't worth it when considering the profit it could bring in.

melonpan said:
Beez are a producer/distributor, not a retailer, I wouldn't be surprised if Beez aren't even directly linked to the Bandai webshop.

Well we need clarification from Andrew about that.

melonpan said:
I guess if Beez wanted to do such a venture it could work though, as demonstrated by A-o-L, and the US/UK ADV websites. I guess the cost from setting up and running such a venture and investing the time to make it work really isn't worth it when considering the profit it could bring in.

Manga uk have a new good shop now as well. The cost of setting a new web shop up if it nothing to do with bandai shop would be minimal. As it would be keeping the beez english site as it is and adding buy it now link on the production dvd description pages with a simple checkout page i.e like adv uk did.

The running cost would vary on how active the english beez web staff are, if there are full time staff available it will quite easily handle the extra work* as they would only dealing with a few orders a week to start with, so no extra staff required. I must admit if beez is set up in such way that they would need hire extra staff, the extra cost employing someone would not be worth it for amount of orders.

*MVM staff is tiny but them seem to handle producer/distributor/webshop quite easily

Dave said:
Manga uk have a new good shop now as well. The cost of setting a new web shop up if it nothing to do with bandai shop would be minimal. As it would be keeping the beez english site as it is and adding buy it now link on the production dvd description pages with a simple checkout page i.e like adv uk did.

The running cost would vary on how active the english beez web staff are, if there are full time staff available it will quite easily handle the extra work* as they would only dealing with a few orders a week to start with, so no extra staff required. I must admit if beez is set up in such way that they would need hire extra staff, the extra cost employing someone would not be worth it for amount of orders.

*MVM staff is tiny but them seem to handle producer/distributor/webshop quite easily
A few points here:

Tony at MVM started out as a store long before he started distributing anime. This gave him the basic infrastructure upon which to build anime-on-line when internet distribution became viable. The UK staff for BEEZ is incredibly small and are I suspect none of them are in a position (professionally or free-time wise) to be setting up and maintaining a web-store. Setting up a web-store is not that trivial when all is said and done and maintaining one would be only marginally less time/resource consuming and would revolve around employing at least one extra person on a full/part-time basis just to keep things ticking over. The revenue made from direct sales would be unlikely to cover the cost of this extra resource.

Gawyn said:
Dave said:

A few points here:

Tony at MVM started out as a store long before he started distributing anime. This gave him the basic infrastructure upon which to build anime-on-line when internet distribution became viable. The UK staff for BEEZ is incredibly small and are I suspect none of them are in a position (professionally or free-time wise) to be setting up and maintaining a web-store. Setting up a web-store is not that trivial when all is said and done and maintaining one would be only marginally less time/resource consuming and would revolve around employing at least one extra person on a full/part-time basis just to keep things ticking over. The revenue made from direct sales would be unlikely to cover the cost of this extra resource.

I can't imagine BEEZ being a lot smaller that MVM as MVM are tiny as they are. As they will be only dealing with only small amount orders a week to start with they would not need hire someone full time. All they need is to check once a day for any new orders and send them out, frankly it as hard as running an ebay sellling account that a lot of people do in there spare time. Even if they get delayed somewhat on order, Most online retailers aren't even that quick anyway not many dispatch until a few days later even if in stock.

As it would only be shop for BEEZ items to maximize profit potential on each item sold, it would not take that long to add buy links for something between 100-200 dvds that BEEZ sells.

Also take into account BEEZ can afford the time and money to pay Andrew to give long and well thought answers, which is a nice service. But can you think of any other UK anime companies which can the afford the time to answer people questions on a forum. If they could afford the time to answer questions in deep on a forum then they can afford a 30 mins to few hours a night to run online shop. But they maybe already doing that as it is, if the Bandai.co.uk is part beez.

Dave said:
can you think of any other UK anime companies which can the afford the time to answer people questions on a forum?
But wouldn't it be nice if they did it anyway because they might actually be able to inform and generate interest about their titles, and actually consider themselves part of the anime community as well?

I imagine most don't do it because they think they'll just be barraged with abuse, which is a shame as this thread seems to stay civil most of the time...

...actually it's probably a good job there's not an MVM rep on here 'cause I'd berate the hell out of them about their inconsistant cover art.

Back