Beez Entertainment Discussion

Hey andrew, I've got my DVD set now so thanks for offering support if it didn't turn up though. I have one last question though, the number on the back of my set is no.1450 yet there's only meant to be 500 so am I meant to ignore the 1 or is that a random number or something?

beez_andrew said:
Sorry I missed this post initially, if I've missed any others in the past and you want them answered people drop me a message and I'll do so - work is as always busy so I can be prone to missing some xD!

melonpan said:
Andrew, two questions if I may:
I'm sure you're completely aware of the Macross situation in America, but I'm wondering if Harmony Gold have the rights to Macross in all English speaking countries, thus stopping any European release? It's a ridiculously huge shame more Macross isn't going to come out for English speaking people after Plus was released by Manga.

Regarding the rights to Macross - I'm not sure I know what you mean here really. To my knowledge Harmony Gold hold the rights primarily to the Robotech Saga (that Manga has also distributed) that was made up of Macross and others. I'll ask Jerome about it next time I speak to him but I know there are a bundle of problematic licenses in the Macross bag - not to do with Harmony Gold in particular though.

Newer shows like Macross Frontier however I'm less sure about - they may be easier to get ahold of. Certainly one I'd be interested on!

melonpan said:
On the Gundam issue, you mentioned using the new Japanese HD masters of Gundam in a future release. Now, it's blatently obvious that Japan are milking the end of the DVD format by releasing HD material on DVD, when they should have at the very least released a Blu-ray edition alongside the DVD release or just a Blu-ray edition on its own, that's what HD is for... Now I'm guessing you'd love to do a Blu-ray release of Gundam over here, but I'm positive the Japanese licensors wouldn't allow any Blu-ray release of anything before its been released in Japan (ignorant reverse importation fears by the Japanese licensors), but really, is there any hope what-so-ever of a Blu-ray release before a Japanese release. With Funimation over in the US holding Blu-ray rights to at least some of their titles (what's mentioned on the press releases (Shigurui at least)) I would assume it's just a matter of acquiring HDCAM's instead of Digibeta's so they can give a native HD release instead of an upscale, which would be hard as the Japanese have to send it [the HDCAM], and of course they have to be willing to send it, and then there's the question of the HD masters even existing. Anyway what I'm getting to is the fact that now HD masters for the original Gundam, Gundam Wing (you've released this on DVD already so there's scope here for something...), SD Gundam and Z Gundam (I'm no Gundam expert but I guess that's Zeta Gundam) exist, you already said Zeta can't be released, but the other three, is it just a matter of acquiring the HD masters, then you have free reign to release it as you please on Blu-ray, or do you have to get approval from the Gundam committee before being able to release something, which one would assume is illegal for them to stop you releasing it on Blu-ray once you own the rights to release it in Europe, so all they can do is hold up the materials.

Sorry the post is long and convoluted but I hope you get the gist. And I guess this is extended to other series as well where HD masters are available, and a company has Blu-ray rights to the series (like in the case of Funimation's future (tentatively confirmed) release of Samurai 7 on Blu-ray).

Thanks in advance.

I get the gist of what you're saying - but ideally the end goal (several years down the line for it to be set in stone though) is that there shouldn't be a need to release it first in one country or another but everywhere at once like with Freedom, Gunbuster vs Diebuster and several others that I know but can't talk about yet lined up for the next year!

With titles like Gundam, where possible and financially prudent - in my opinion at least - you'll start seeing worldwide releases including Gundam when the time is right.

Regarding rights, all HD rights are actually often sold separately to SD DVD which means you have to pay more for them etc. So it's in fact illegal to just bung out a HD release of a show without permission sadly!

Hope this helps and sorry for such a slow reply!

Many thanks for that Andrew. I didn't realise Harmony Gold are only affiliated with the Robotech saga part, I thought it was the entirety of Macross. It's interesting to know that HD rights are different to Blu-ray rights and DVD rights. So many rights!

Conan-san said:
I realy like the way that (in america at least, manga is trying where the JP companies won't be dicks to them *COUGHhellsingCOUGH*) anime is being sold by the "Half season" (around 13 eps a volume) for the same price mark as singles used to/are still sold. It's certainly what got my to go and get all of Buso Renkin (Manga released that in two volumes each having three disks in them) for £40 all in all.
This all said, as far as Gurren Lagann is concerned, are you going to follow the Bandai Ent. route with Gurren Lagann and release that in three sets?

We're finalizing the design plan right now, should be able to confirm more after Expo. However what I can say is even if we do follow a more progressive style (i.e. 3 sets) we will be releasing our own unique versions to give extra value added content to our release at no extra cost :). So something to look forward to :D.

To be honest though all of a series for £40 greatly depends on the business model really and exactly how many sales you feel that you can guarantee from them really (I could go into more detail about that!)

Conan-san said:
Also, any news on the TV frount or is that prety much dead with the way that AnimeCenteral made a total mess of it?

There's stuff going on there still - anime on TV will always be slow progress but there are definitely still ways to make it work as blocks instead of a channel devoted to anime. So watch this space :)! Not all hope is lost anyway!

Gawyn said:
Spimmy said:
just wondering who in the uk has the rights to Your Under Arrest ?
It is a little split over ADV, MVM and unlicenced. MVM have/had the OVA/first four episodes of the TV series whilst ADV have/had the mini-specials and the movie rights. Outside of that nobody has licensed YUA for UK release and is unlikely to license it at any time soon.

Bingo - question answered without me needing to say a word!

xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
Hey andrew, I've got my DVD set now so thanks for offering support if it didn't turn up though. I have one last question though, the number on the back of my set is no.1450 yet there's only meant to be 500 so am I meant to ignore the 1 or is that a random number or something?

Glad to hear it arrived safely!

What has happened I think is the boxes got mixed between FR and UK so the same boxes are used but contents are different, total number of units between the UK and France were 2000 (1.5 for FR, 500 for the UK).

Hope your brother and gf enjoy their copies ^^!

melonpan said:
Many thanks for that Andrew. I didn't realise Harmony Gold are only affiliated with the Robotech saga part, I thought it was the entirety of Macross. It's interesting to know that HD rights are different to Blu-ray rights and DVD rights. So many rights!

Not a problem! And it's primarily because in many titles cases HD became a reality later, nowadays obviously we as companies (I know it applies to most of the big companies now) drive for all rights in one package exc. a few rights that are problematic ^^.

At least in the US - ADV actually still holds the rights to Macross as they're releasing boxsets now for them again in the latest wave of repacks.

Spimmy said:
i wonder what are the chances of beez of geting
full metal panic the second raid

Answer is I'm a big fan of FMP: TSR, I know the figures roughly for FMP and Fumoffu and it's one I'd love to do here. Fortunately we have the same chances of it as anyone else in the UK as Funimation do not hold UK rights to it!

At present though I have no idea what the situation is around it making it so hard to license, I'll take a look though :).

Andy, how big of a chance is there of the Super Robot Wars anime getting a R2 release?

Also when do you think we could be seeing Gundam 00 on these shores?

Two quick questions about the expo
1) will there be a anime industry panel this time? There was apparently one in May which the expo decided not to tell any one about. If there is one you know about could you let us know so we know when to go and ask you when Code Geass is coming out. Amongst other things.
2) You (i think) mentioned that if you sign up to the Beez newsletter they'll send you a voucher to get money off at the expo. Haven't heard anything since i signed up though. Is the it still the case since you are going to get a chunk of my pay check (and seemingly a growing portion of it).

hopeful_monster said:
Two quick questions about the expo
1) will there be a anime industry panel this time? There was apparently one in May which the expo decided not to tell any one about. If there is one you know about could you let us know so we know when to go and ask you when Code Geass is coming out. Amongst other things.

There is one :)! Was going to post it in the thread, it's on at 1:30PM on Saturday on the small stage, I'll so well worth a visit too :). The one on the Saturday was arranged last minute by myself outside so I didn't have everybody's details who may have been interested, sorry you missed it!

Come along anyway - I'll probs do a more in depth talk after to interested parties about our planned releases :).

hopeful_monster said:
2) You (i think) mentioned that if you sign up to the Beez newsletter they'll send you a voucher to get money off at the expo. Haven't heard anything since i signed up though. Is the it still the case since you are going to get a chunk of my pay check (and seemingly a growing portion of it).

The newsletter is being sent out today so will be with you tomorrow latest along with the voucher, if it isn't PM me and I'll forward a copy to you :). We'll have for confirmed of our new stock:

- Wolf's Rain Definitive Edition
- Freedom on Blu Ray
- IGPX Box 1 and Box 2
- Haruhi 1-4 + LE (last copies in the UK stock load!)

Along with some old classics bundled up into half series like:

- My HiME
- Eureka Seven
- Gundam Seed Destiny

And the usual box sets as well as more stock of the Gundam Seed sets, if you're interested in prices drop me a line, suffice to say you're better buying at Expo often!

beez_andrew said:
Spimmy said:

Answer is I'm a big fan of FMP: TSR, I know the figures roughly for FMP and Fumoffu and it's one I'd love to do here. Fortunately we have the same chances of it as anyone else in the UK as Funimation do not hold UK rights to it!

At present though I have no idea what the situation is around it making it so hard to license, I'll take a look though :).
I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that it's a three way clusterf**k between ADV, Funi and Kadokawa

Conan-san said:
beez_andrew said:
Spimmy said:

I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that it's a three way clusterf**k between ADV, Funi and Kadokawa

Amusing description - but definitely wrong - the production deal in the US has no relation to that over here as the rights belong solely to Kadokawa :).

Conan-san said:
beez_andrew said:
Spimmy said:

Kadokawa own the rights, they decided to release Second Raid in the US hireing Funimation to handle the translating/distribution.

Funimation in turn, decided they wanted to use the same voice actors as previous and hired ADV to do the dubbing.

How was it a Flustercuck?

Tasker said:
Conan-san said:
beez_andrew said:
Spimmy said:

I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that it's a three way clusterfuck between ADV, Funi and Kadokawa

Kadokawa own the rights, they decided to release Second Raid in the US hireing Funimation to handle the translating/distribution.

Funimation in turn, decided they wanted to use the same voice actors as previous and hired ADV to do the dubbing.

How was it a Flustercuck?
Simply put, Kadokawa has no real offical offices over here so it's a three way punch up between ADV, Funi (Read Manga/Revolation/MVM) and Beezs to see who gets it, which, by the time that's over, people will have bought the R1's anyway.

Back