Beez Entertainment Discussion

Rui said:
Play is reporting it as In Stock now. So at least that's a positive sign - perhaps some stock deliveries got held up and Amazon's just thrown up a guess ETA based on paranoia.

I keep almost impulse buying it then remembering I'm supposed to be responsible until I know how much some repairs are going to cost. Perhaps a Christmas present to myself...

R

Play have actually dispatched my Wolfs Rain boxset today so everybody should be getting theirs soon

Aion said:
I somehow doubt every copy of the expensive complete collection has gone out of stock straight away. The stupidly priced 'limited' Eva plat set, which is getting re-released, didn't go OOS fast and I doubt this will when the Anime Legends sets can be be imported together for under half the price of this.

Then again, there are people daft enough to pay £120 for Wild Arms 5 when the R1 release, which includes an art book and outer box, can (or could?) be ordered for around £20.

While you have a point I'm so furious at Bandai US at the moment and their shockingly bad quality control (unplayable discs in some of my recent purchases which I had to extract myself and rewrite to new discs just to watch) I'll gladly pay more for one with a decent chance of working ;)

Plus this set is far nicer than the AL one and has a soundtrack. Soundtracks are good...that's £15 of the price right off the bat.

That and the pound fails at the moment. Soon perhaps the brilliantly cheap paradise that the US has been for the past couple of years will be less of a goldmine.

R

Sorry I missed this post initially, if I've missed any others in the past and you want them answered people drop me a message and I'll do so - work is as always busy so I can be prone to missing some xD!

melonpan said:
Andrew, two questions if I may:
I'm sure you're completely aware of the Macross situation in America, but I'm wondering if Harmony Gold have the rights to Macross in all English speaking countries, thus stopping any European release? It's a ridiculously huge shame more Macross isn't going to come out for English speaking people after Plus was released by Manga.

Regarding the rights to Macross - I'm not sure I know what you mean here really. To my knowledge Harmony Gold hold the rights primarily to the Robotech Saga (that Manga has also distributed) that was made up of Macross and others. I'll ask Jerome about it next time I speak to him but I know there are a bundle of problematic licenses in the Macross bag - not to do with Harmony Gold in particular though.

Newer shows like Macross Frontier however I'm less sure about - they may be easier to get ahold of. Certainly one I'd be interested on!

melonpan said:
On the Gundam issue, you mentioned using the new Japanese HD masters of Gundam in a future release. Now, it's blatently obvious that Japan are milking the end of the DVD format by releasing HD material on DVD, when they should have at the very least released a Blu-ray edition alongside the DVD release or just a Blu-ray edition on its own, that's what HD is for... Now I'm guessing you'd love to do a Blu-ray release of Gundam over here, but I'm positive the Japanese licensors wouldn't allow any Blu-ray release of anything before its been released in Japan (ignorant reverse importation fears by the Japanese licensors), but really, is there any hope what-so-ever of a Blu-ray release before a Japanese release. With Funimation over in the US holding Blu-ray rights to at least some of their titles (what's mentioned on the press releases (Shigurui at least)) I would assume it's just a matter of acquiring HDCAM's instead of Digibeta's so they can give a native HD release instead of an upscale, which would be hard as the Japanese have to send it [the HDCAM], and of course they have to be willing to send it, and then there's the question of the HD masters even existing. Anyway what I'm getting to is the fact that now HD masters for the original Gundam, Gundam Wing (you've released this on DVD already so there's scope here for something...), SD Gundam and Z Gundam (I'm no Gundam expert but I guess that's Zeta Gundam) exist, you already said Zeta can't be released, but the other three, is it just a matter of acquiring the HD masters, then you have free reign to release it as you please on Blu-ray, or do you have to get approval from the Gundam committee before being able to release something, which one would assume is illegal for them to stop you releasing it on Blu-ray once you own the rights to release it in Europe, so all they can do is hold up the materials.

Sorry the post is long and convoluted but I hope you get the gist. And I guess this is extended to other series as well where HD masters are available, and a company has Blu-ray rights to the series (like in the case of Funimation's future (tentatively confirmed) release of Samurai 7 on Blu-ray).

Thanks in advance.

I get the gist of what you're saying - but ideally the end goal (several years down the line for it to be set in stone though) is that there shouldn't be a need to release it first in one country or another but everywhere at once like with Freedom, Gunbuster vs Diebuster and several others that I know but can't talk about yet lined up for the next year!

With titles like Gundam, where possible and financially prudent - in my opinion at least - you'll start seeing worldwide releases including Gundam when the time is right.

Regarding rights, all HD rights are actually often sold separately to SD DVD which means you have to pay more for them etc. So it's in fact illegal to just bung out a HD release of a show without permission sadly!

Hope this helps and sorry for such a slow reply!

Akaten said:
Ryo Chan said:
yikes, £99 for 49 episodes? as sexy as it looks, think i'll wait till someone does a funi/dbz and starts doing 50 odd eps for £50 or a season for £25

Specially with the current financial market

*Sigh* Dragonball Z has broken into the mainstream in the US, beyond the niche of anime, with a feature length film on the way, hence the lower prices, they are also bog standard boxes without printed or video extras, and they are expected to sell in much larger numbers, online and on the high street. US market is much larger as well compared to the UK anime industry, plus they are region free adding international sales, plus the fact that Funimation is a much larger company than Beez.

Note also how £99 is the RRP, yet still less than £2 per HD remastered episodes AND a book, thats before online discounts and pre-order prices, which will most likely knock another £20ish of the price.

That sums it up pretty well :). May I add for it's the same price had it been done digitally on iTunes that you'd probably have been charged an episode - except in this case you get some amazing packaging and an extra pack in as well :)!

This will again be numbered and limited to 500 for the UK release! If it's not your kind of thing then that's fair enough but if you are a fan of Gundam Wing and you want a release that does it justice then this is the release for you as no other release outside of Japan to my knowledge has used these HD masters.

In short you get what you pay for really in this case :).

Ryo Chan said:
Hey andrew, quick q about the Gundam Seed boxes, i see on play.com that the T-shirt is only large

i assume there are no XL shirts then?

Afraid it's a one size job in this case, so only L - although in future I'll look at doing some kind of variation in sizing if possible :).

chaos said:
I was also wondering if you don't have a Yuki poster to spare. Call me a one-track minded person ;D

Afraid not - as that was a block poster done before -_-! There will be Haruhi posters in the Expo goodie bags though so there's something to look forward to :D!

Re: Wolf's Rain Definitve Edition..

fusionsox said:
Hi. New on these boards. How's everyone doing? Anyway, I pre-ordered Wolf's Rain Definitve Collection boxset a while back and it keeps on getting delayed. It currently says that its release date is 13/10/08. Is this the case? And can anyone tell me what's in this boxset? Some say it's just the episodes, some say episodes, booklet and special features. Some say it comes with the soundtrack CD. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks, Paul

To confirm - it should be out by now and I'll have some copies at Expo for anyone looking for a copy quickly ^^.

Contents will be:

- All episodes including the OAVs.
- Artbook
- OST 1
- Storyboards for Episode 1

All in one faux-leatherbound book using exclusive artwork never before used in a western release of the title and only in the latest special release in Japan!

Akaten said:
ayase said:
ayase said:
If I can get it for 70, sold ;)
Incidentally, it seems I can. :D

Good price, Zaavi also have Freedom blu ray set for £52, though I pre-ordered it on sendit.com using a £3 voucher code (the code being sendit30 for when you spend over £30) for under £50, bargain! Really looking forward to seeing this show, first Blu Ray purchase (roll on Wings of Honneamise *fingers crossed*) and hope Beez risk taking on putting this and other releases together in premium sets for us is paying off.

BTW it seems hmv have the set listed as being on dvd, beez might want to correct them on that.

Thanks for the heads up on that, will send a memo out :). As it's definitely not a DVD release!!

Nice finds there on Zavvi too as those are definitely bargains worth snapping up!

xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
Hey andrew any news on the wolf's rain box set? I tend to get a bit paranoid now when I order stuff (since the last 4 orders I did seemed to vanish and no longer be in stock but Wild arms 5 10th anniversary is shockingly hard to find ><)? I ordered 2 of the wolf's rain box set (on for my girlfriend and one for my brother) and one guy seems to be selling it on play.com yet when I rang play.com customer services they said it wasn't in stock yet cos they were waiting for it. Any chance you can clear this up for me?

Thanks Andrew.

Drop me a line if you have problems with this or they claim it's cancelled? There should be stock though I can confirm we're almost sold out already so that may explain the seemingly large delays!

Are you going to London Expo? As I'll have copies there too if you want to be ultra-safe!

Mantis said:
I ordered my Wolf's Rain boxset from sendit.com and was starting to get a bit worried by their constant emails telling me the item had been delayed. It's reassuring to hear other people are still waiting for their copies as well!

But if Andrew has an expected date that would be good too!

It should be shipped out shortly :)! There have been shortages at the warehouse as not all 500 arrived in initially so please stick with us on this, the release date is now officially past (i.e. 13th October) so if by Thursday yours hasn't been shipped drop me a PM and I'll do my best to see what's going on :).

Aion said:
I somehow doubt every copy of the expensive complete collection has gone out of stock straight away. The stupidly priced 'limited' Eva plat set, which is getting re-released, didn't go OOS fast and I doubt this will when the Anime Legends sets can be be imported together for under half the price of this.

While the Eva set is comparable in a way (though I'd say again the Wolf's Rain Definitive set goes that extra mile in terms of content as just on basis of being different licenses etc it was possible to include soundtrack + exclusive artwork) you can't really compare it to the Anime Legends set. As they're almost aimed at completely different demographics for the most part as well :).

It's not far off being sold out for the record though!

I know the licencing of the Macross anime shows is a copyright minefield (which may be what Melonpan is getting at) but I'd like to hear if there are any Beez plans for new OST albums...yeah, I'm thinking Macross Frontier here! ^_^

Martin said:
I know the licencing of the Macross anime shows is a copyright minefield (which may be what Melonpan is getting at) but I'd like to hear if there are any Beez plans for new OST albums...yeah, I'm thinking Macross Frontier here! ^_^

if they are, i'm surre to buy them, even if there are 3 of em :D

Got my Wolf's Rain Definitive Edition boxset yesterday evening through Amazon.co.uk, and I must say it's an excellently-produced product overall. Love the faux-leather book it comes in (the back 'engravings' are beautiful) and the show and OST are both obviously amazing, but you'd know that if you've shelled out £70-ish for this set. However, my only concern is the actual book itself, more specifically the pages. They feel a little fragile. I always think that if I try to open them more than they naturally feel they should (not far btw) then the spine will break. They are made of thick card, so there's not much chance of incidental 'rippage' but its enough to notice. Don't let it put you off buying it though, I'm thoroughly impressed with it
And Andrew, are you the Andrew Partridge that's credited in the boxset as 'Marketing And Events'? Oh, and I'd love to be at the Expo, but the top of Scotland is a long way away lol. Maybe next year..

beez_andrew said:
xX-Sigil-XxxX-Otaku-Xx said:
Hey andrew any news on the wolf's rain box set? I tend to get a bit paranoid now when I order stuff (since the last 4 orders I did seemed to vanish and no longer be in stock but Wild arms 5 10th anniversary is shockingly hard to find ><)? I ordered 2 of the wolf's rain box set (on for my girlfriend and one for my brother) and one guy seems to be selling it on play.com yet when I rang play.com customer services they said it wasn't in stock yet cos they were waiting for it. Any chance you can clear this up for me?

Thanks Andrew.

Drop me a line if you have problems with this or they claim it's cancelled? There should be stock though I can confirm we're almost sold out already so that may explain the seemingly large delays!

Are you going to London Expo? As I'll have copies there too if you want to be ultra-safe!
There's no problem anymore, on the 17th I got an email from play.com saying that they'd shipped out my box set and to expect a 3 to 5 day delivery time so I'm going to be patient now.

Not really, I live in south yorkshire and I don't like to travel too far put of my way unfortunately.

I realy like the way that (in america at least, manga is trying where the JP companies won't be dicks to them *COUGHhellsingCOUGH*) anime is being sold by the "Half season" (around 13 eps a volume) for the same price mark as singles used to/are still sold. It's certainly what got my to go and get all of Buso Renkin (Manga released that in two volumes each having three disks in them) for £40 all in all.
This all said, as far as Gurren Lagann is concerned, are you going to follow the Bandai Ent. route with Gurren Lagann and release that in three sets?

Also, any news on the TV frount or is that prety much dead with the way that AnimeCenteral made a total mess of it?

Martin said:

Well at the moment I can't comment beyond we're always looking for the next good soundtrack release! We do have several in mind though so watch this space :)!

fusionsox said:
Got my Wolf's Rain Definitive Edition boxset yesterday evening through Amazon.co.uk, and I must say it's an excellently-produced product overall. Love the faux-leather book it comes in (the back 'engravings' are beautiful) and the show and OST are both obviously amazing, but you'd know that if you've shelled out £70-ish for this set. However, my only concern is the actual book itself, more specifically the pages. They feel a little fragile. I always think that if I try to open them more than they naturally feel they should (not far btw) then the spine will break. They are made of thick card, so there's not much chance of incidental 'rippage' but its enough to notice. Don't let it put you off buying it though, I'm thoroughly impressed with it

I am too I have to admit, my first action when my preview copy arrived was to congratulate the project lead on a beautiful work. I felt concerned about the pages as well, it just takes a bit of care, they ease up over time at least from what I've seen :).

The artwork is amazing and I hope you enjoy the soundtrack as well!

fusionsox said:
And Andrew, are you the Andrew Partridge that's credited in the boxset as 'Marketing And Events'? Oh, and I'd love to be at the Expo, but the top of Scotland is a long way away lol. Maybe next year..

Yes - that's me ^^. There's actually only two of us left now I handle the UK while my counterpart handles France primarily!

Enjoy the release!

Spimmy said:
just wondering who in the uk has the rights to Your Under Arrest ?
It is a little split over ADV, MVM and unlicenced. MVM have/had the OVA/first four episodes of the TV series whilst ADV have/had the mini-specials and the movie rights. Outside of that nobody has licensed YUA for UK release and is unlikely to license it at any time soon.

Back