Asian Cinema Thread

Third Window Films has announced a general idea of what they have in store for the future. Sony caused some problems so they weren't able to release any titles onto home video throughout this year, so all titles are scheduled for 2020.

Unfortunately we've had some major problems with Sony who have left us in a position which meant that we couldn't release any films this year, so have moved everything to next year. Also, this chaos has made it hard to plan in terms of acquiring films as well.

The titles on the schedule are as follows:

Pink series Vol. 1 & 2: Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands (1967) & Gushing Prayer (1971)
Vol. 1 directed by Atsushi Yamatoya / Vol. 2 directed by Masao Adachi
Est: January/February 2020

The Legend of the Stardust Brothers (1985)
Directed by Makoto Tezuka (Osamu Tezuka's son)
Est: February/March 2020

Killing (2018) / Haze (2005) / Adventures of Electric Rod Boy (1987)
All three films directed by Shinya Tsukamoto
Est: April/May 2020

Pink series Vol. 3 & 4: Abnormal Family (1984) & Blue Film Woman (1969)
Vol. 3 directed by Masayuki Suo / Vol. 4 directed by Kan Mukai
Est: Spring 2020

Pink series Vol. 5 & 6: Women Hell Song (1970) & Underwater Love (2011)
Vol. 5 directed by Mamoru Watanabe / Vol. 6 directed by Shinji Imaoka
Est: Autumn 2020

Random fact: The director of the Pink film Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands is also the screenwriter for the Lupin the Third films The Secret of Mamo and Gold Babylon.

This might be interesting news to those that have seen the movie "Memories Of Murder"

Arrow Video has announced Park Chan-wook's The Vengeance Trilogy Blu-ray box set featuring Lady Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

EFelOoeWwAIg43d

Out 9th December. They are the same discs like the ones in the Oldboy LE; 2 for Oldboy (1 of them is the documentary), 1 for Lady Vengeance, and 1 for Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Pre-orders will open on Amazon soon but you can also view it on Arrow's store.

(Disclaimer: Amazon link is affiliated to help support me financially)

b532bde3-b9e3-44aa-9524-0a574d580b1b.jpg

Arrow Video has announced Shocktober Sale! In addition, a standard edition complete box set for Female Prisoner Scorpion is coming soon (like the Ring collection it has 4 films across 4 cases inside a box).

The sale also includes titles from distributor Third Window Films.

b532bde3-b9e3-44aa-9524-0a574d580b1b.jpg

Arrow Video has announced Shocktober Sale! In addition, a standard edition complete box set for Female Prisoner Scorpion is coming soon (like the Ring collection it has 4 films across 4 cases inside a box).

The sale also includes titles from distributor Third Window Films.
I much prefer the box art of the rerelease to the original for Female Prisoner Scorpion I've got.

The 'limited O Cards' for Crime Story & The Protector.
Screenshot_20191023-132009_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20191023-132908_Chrome.jpg

Ps. Dragons Forever & Miracles have been removed from the 88 Asia site and Amazon updated my order to 20 Feb 2020..... 😱

Now available to pre-order on Arrow's website are two titles coming from Third Window Films!

The Legend of the Stardust Brothers, directed by Makoto Tezuka (Osamu Tezuka's son), scheduled for 17th February 2020. A Blu-ray & DVD combo pack that will also feature the original soundtrack on CD as well as a new film master and director's cut for the first time.

m2xe4MV.jpg

Pink Films Vol 1 & 2, a two-film collection from the pink genre of live-action Japanese films, scheduled for 16th March 2020. A Blu-ray & DVD combo pack consisting of Atsushi Yamatoya’s Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands and Masao Adachi's Gushing Prayer.

CI33Zuy.jpg

More 88 Films titles have been listed for Amazon in 2020:

8 Diagram Pole Fighter for 23rd March 2020.

71Fw4ccI2oL._SL1362_.jpg

Come Drink with Me for 9th March 2020.

71ZdBWyc6ZL._SL1362_.jpg

Heart of Dragon for 23rd March 2020.

81Mu-TIKbsL._SL1500_.jpg

John Woo's Heroes Shed No Tears for 24th February 2020.

81qJMY7yMXL._SL1500_.jpg

(Disclaimer: Amazon link is affiliated to help support me financially)

(Taken from the Bluray.com Arrow thread) The December 2019 issue of Home Cinema Choice contains an interview with Fran Simeoni, wherein he confirms that a Gamera Collection is coming in 2020:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Simeoni
One of our big upcoming projects is a collection of Gamera films; many of these will be available for the first time in the UK and it’s going to be a real treat to see them all packaged together, with loads of extras and stunning packaging. We love working on boxsets and this is one of a few we have planned for 2020, including our [Alejandro] Jodorowsky collection.

Arrow Video has announced plans to rescue and release Takashi Miike's One Missed Call (Chakushin ari) as well as its Japanese sequels!

Scheduled for 10th February 2020, the UK Blu-ray release will include the 2004 film One Missed Call directed by Takashi Miike, the 2005 film One Missed Call 2 directed by Renpei Tsukamoto, and the 2006 film One Missed Call: Final directed by Manabu Aso.

No details on the transfer but it's coming to the Blu-ray format for the first time here in the UK and also for US & Canada.

8c2b6b7c-4742-45c2-92ba-3e3878fd1fb8.jpg

aa778929-efb1-4328-8101-bd73752b9c25.jpg

I’m a simple man, I see a Takashi Miike film get a Blu Ray release, I buy it. Can’t wait to watch these.

So you know how a lot of you were saying that I haven't been watching that many Chinese films (or none to be exact) during my Asian Cinema watch back in August? Well, I am happy to say that I have requested two Blu-rays featuring Jackie Chan for Christmas. I know it's not massive, but this is probably the first time I will watch one of his films in Mandarin. Quite excited actually.

Arrow recently announced a boxset of films from Tsukamoto, known for his body-horror works like Tetsuo: The Iron Man amongst other titles. Due to the UK licensing being with Third Window Films, only the US gets this release. It is, however, available to pre-order from Diabolik DVD for around £67(postage included in that price).
I just noticed this. For those wondering, Third Window Films has confirmed that the Arrow release is using the same transfer and extras so the two regions are identical outside of the film Vital, which is still tied to Tartan until 2024.

I'll stick to the UK releases since I have the Tetsuo films, plus the upcoming three-film box set coming soon featuring The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo, Haze and Killing has really nice packaging artwork.

9db5d90a-f0b9-4eb6-8cc9-596a3d733018.jpg

Yeah they’ve been informing people of that. I’m not sure if I’ll get it but like the idea of having the films under one uniform set and I don’t own any of Tsukamoto’s works yet.

Maybe somewhere down the line Third Window Films could do a bigger boxset with the titles they have.

I figured I'll note down a quick release schedule for all of the upcoming Asian films coming soon to the UK for those interested!

10th February:
  • So Long, My Son [DVD]
    Distributor: Curzon Artificial Eye
17th February:
  • Come Drink with Me [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: 88 Films
  • Heroes Shed No Tears [Blu-ray]
  • The Legend of the Stardust Brothers [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: Third Window Films
24th February:
  • One Missed Call Trilogy [Blu-ray]
    Films included: One Missed Call, One Missed Call 2, One Missed Call Final
    Distributor: Arrow Video
  • Raining In The Mountain [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: Eureka Entertainment
2nd March:
  • The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter [Blu-ray]
  • First Love [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Signature Entertainment
9th March:
  • Antonio Gaudi [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Criterion
16th March:
  • Dragons Forever [Blu-ray]
  • Pink Films Volumes 1 & 2 [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Films included: Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands, Gushing Prayer
23rd March:
  • Heart of Dragon [Blu-ray]
20th April:
  • Zu Warriors From The Magic Mountain [Blu-ray]
27th April:
  • Kwaidan [Blu-ray]
  • Tsukamoto: Killing / Haze / Denchukozo [Blu-ray]
    Films included: The Adventures of Electric Rod Boy, Haze, Killing
18th May:
  • The Flavour of Green Tea Over Rice [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: BFI
  • Funeral Parade of Roses [Blu-ray & DVD]
15th June:
  • Tokyo Story (4K Restoration) [Blu-ray & DVD]
29th June:
  • Takeshi Kitano Three-Film Collection [Blu-ray]
    Films included: Boiling Point, Sonatine, Violent Cop
Coming Soon:
  • Gamera Film Collection [Arrow Video]
  • Parasite [Curzon Artificial Eye]
  • Pink Films Volumes 3 & 4: Abnormal Family & Blue Film Woman [Third Window Films]
  • Pink Films Volumes 5 & 6: Women Hell Song & Underwater Love [Third Window Films]

Some great titles coming out soon. Looking forward to the Takeshi Kitano boxset especially. Thanks for collating everything into that list Grav!

Back