Asian Cinema Thread

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
I’m a simple man, I see a Takashi Miike film get a Blu Ray release, I buy it. Can’t wait to watch these.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
So you know how a lot of you were saying that I haven't been watching that many Chinese films (or none to be exact) during my Asian Cinema watch back in August? Well, I am happy to say that I have requested two Blu-rays featuring Jackie Chan for Christmas. I know it's not massive, but this is probably the first time I will watch one of his films in Mandarin. Quite excited actually.

Reactions: HWR

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
I have several Jackie Chan titles to watch, most from 88Films’ recent slew of releases, and one from Eureka.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff

Arrow recently announced a boxset of films from Tsukamoto, known for his body-horror works like Tetsuo: The Iron Man amongst other titles. Due to the UK licensing being with Third Window Films, only the US gets this release. It is, however, available to pre-order from Diabolik DVD for around £67(postage included in that price).
I just noticed this. For those wondering, Third Window Films has confirmed that the Arrow release is using the same transfer and extras so the two regions are identical outside of the film Vital, which is still tied to Tartan until 2024.

I'll stick to the UK releases since I have the Tetsuo films, plus the upcoming three-film box set coming soon featuring The Adventure of Denchu-Kozo, Haze and Killing has really nice packaging artwork.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Yeah they’ve been informing people of that. I’m not sure if I’ll get it but like the idea of having the films under one uniform set and I don’t own any of Tsukamoto’s works yet.

Maybe somewhere down the line Third Window Films could do a bigger boxset with the titles they have.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
I figured I'll note down a quick release schedule for all of the upcoming Asian films coming soon to the UK for those interested!

10th February:
  • So Long, My Son [DVD]
    Distributor: Curzon Artificial Eye
17th February:
  • Come Drink with Me [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: 88 Films
  • Heroes Shed No Tears [Blu-ray]
  • The Legend of the Stardust Brothers [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: Third Window Films
24th February:
  • One Missed Call Trilogy [Blu-ray]
    Films included: One Missed Call, One Missed Call 2, One Missed Call Final
    Distributor: Arrow Video
  • Raining In The Mountain [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: Eureka Entertainment
2nd March:
  • The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter [Blu-ray]
  • First Love [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Signature Entertainment
9th March:
  • Antonio Gaudi [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Criterion
16th March:
  • Dragons Forever [Blu-ray]
  • Pink Films Volumes 1 & 2 [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Films included: Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands, Gushing Prayer
23rd March:
  • Heart of Dragon [Blu-ray]
20th April:
  • Zu Warriors From The Magic Mountain [Blu-ray]
27th April:
  • Kwaidan [Blu-ray]
  • Tsukamoto: Killing / Haze / Denchukozo [Blu-ray]
    Films included: The Adventures of Electric Rod Boy, Haze, Killing
18th May:
  • The Flavour of Green Tea Over Rice [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: BFI
  • Funeral Parade of Roses [Blu-ray & DVD]
15th June:
  • Tokyo Story (4K Restoration) [Blu-ray & DVD]
29th June:
  • Takeshi Kitano Three-Film Collection [Blu-ray]
    Films included: Boiling Point, Sonatine, Violent Cop
Coming Soon:
  • Gamera Film Collection [Arrow Video]
  • Parasite [Curzon Artificial Eye]
  • Pink Films Volumes 3 & 4: Abnormal Family & Blue Film Woman [Third Window Films]
  • Pink Films Volumes 5 & 6: Women Hell Song & Underwater Love [Third Window Films]

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Some great titles coming out soon. Looking forward to the Takeshi Kitano boxset especially. Thanks for collating everything into that list Grav!

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Some great titles coming out soon. Looking forward to the Takeshi Kitano boxset especially. Thanks for collating everything into that list Grav!
No problem. One thing I noticed from BFI is that a while ago they had a teaser on what's to come for 2020 and one of them was a Japan season. Kitano and Ozu's name were referenced (henceforth those titles in the schedule) but what also caught my eye were Takashi Miike and Naomi Kawase so I wonder if we may see a title or two appear under BFI during this Summer (the latter did make a film for Tokyo 2020 it seems).

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
No problem. One thing I noticed from BFI is that a while ago they had a teaser on what's to come for 2020 and one of them was a Japan season. Kitano and Ozu's name were referenced (henceforth those titles in the schedule) but what also caught my eye were Takashi Miike and Naomi Kawase so I wonder if we may see a title or two appear under BFI during this Summer (the latter did make a film for Tokyo 2020 it seems).
More Miike is always welcome. He has so many films (over 100) that any number of releases would be great to have. A boxset of his earliest works would be awesome.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
More Miike is always welcome. He has so many films (over 100) that any number of releases would be great to have. A boxset of his earliest works would be awesome.
I have lost track of how many of his works have been released on Blu-ray over here.

Yami

Hunter
I've got Come Drink with Me on order. It was the first King Hu film that I saw, and you'd be hard pressed to find a more entertaining 90 minutes anywhere. It has an early lead role for Cheng Pei-pei, who would later go on to play Jade Fox in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon over 3 decades later.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
I have lost track of how many of his works have been released on Blu-ray over here.
Yeah it’s mainly Arrow Video doing the work on getting his filmography out at the moment. I think I have all of their Miike titles except the upcoming One Missed Call trilogy.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Parasite is now available to pre-order on Amazon UK. This is currently scheduled for 1st June 2020 and will also have a steelbook.

Blu-ray Steelbook Designs:

Regular Blu-ray & DVD artwork:

(Disclaimer: Amazon link is affiliated to help support me financially)

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
88 Films have added two more Asian films to the upcoming release schedule.

Armour of God II: Operation Condor - 1991 film directed by Jackie Chan - 15th June - Pre-order on Amazon
Clan of the White Lotus - 1980 film directed by Lo Lieh - 20th April - Pre-order on Amazon

In addition here's the finalised artwork for Jackie Chan's Heart of Dragon slipcover:

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Criterion (in the US side) has announced plans to release Bong Joon-ho's award-winning film Parasite as well as his 2003 classic Memories of Murder for the collection.

In the UK, Memories of Murder was released by Studio Canal's older label Optimum Releasing alongside The Host (which is still available) and Mother (Blu-ray version is out of print). At the time of this post, it seems Memories of Murder is no longer in print.

NormanicGrav

(゜ロ゜)
AUKN Staff
Arrow Video has revealed its contents for their upcoming release of Gamera.

It's a limited edition film collection that will offer the following:
  • All of the films uncut in Japanese audio with English subtitles.
  • 4K restorations for the Heisei trilogy in Japanese & English audio with English subtitles.
  • The US theatrical film version Gammera The Invincible.
  • Hardback 120-page comic including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series (was released by Dark Horse), and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh.
  • Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and more.
  • On-disc bonus features including expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski) and interviews with cast and crew.
Currently scheduled for July 2020 and will be at a high SRP price point for both US & UK.

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Maybe they’ll do an early bird price on their website. I’m quite interested in picking this up.