Asian Cinema Thread

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
Third Window Films has provided a few updates to their line-up.

New licenses include the following:
  • Ujicha's The Burning Buddha Man
  • Nobuhiko Obayashi's Hanagatami
  • Seiji Tanaka's Melancholic
  • Ujicha's Violence Voyager
The Blu-ray films below have been confirmed to be out of print:
  • Tetsuya Nakashima's Confessions
  • Takashi Miike's For Love's Sake
  • Lee Su-jin's Han Gong-ju
  • Tetsuya Nakashima's Kamikaze Girls
  • Takashi Miike's Lesson of Evil - Going OOP by the end of 2020
  • Tetsuya Nakashima's Memories of Matsuko
  • Shin Su-won's Pluto - Going OOP by the end of 2020
  • Shūichi Okita's The Story of Yonosuke
  • Pang Ho-cheung's Vulgaria
  • Shūichi Okita's The Woodsman and the Rain
Love Exposure is still in print despite the price spikes, this is caused by the recent distribution issues and will be back in retailers soon.

##################################

UPDATE/EDIT: So after DragonBlaze mentioned he found a copy of Bong Joon-ho's 2009 film Mother on Blu-ray, I did some quick research and to my surprise it seems Studio Canal have reprinted it - HMV will have more stock soon according to its website, and Amazon third party sellers are offering £7-8 for a copy.

##################################

UPDATE/EDIT 2.0: Eureka Entertainment have announced plans to release the 2004 Hong Kong film Throw Down from director Johnnie To as part of the Masters of Cinema brand for May 2020.

Last edited:

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Time for an update on the Asian Cinema UK schedule!
9th March:
  • Antonio Gaudi [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Criterion
16th March:
  • Dragons Forever [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: 88 Films
  • Pink Films Volumes 1 & 2 [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Films included: Inflatable Sex Doll of the Wastelands, Gushing Prayer
    Distributor: Third Window Films
20th April:
  • Clan of the White Lotus [Blu-ray] New Addition
  • Heart of Dragon [Blu-ray] Date Updated
  • Zu Warriors From The Magic Mountain [Blu-ray]
    Distributor: Eureka Entertainment
27th April:
  • Kwaidan [Blu-ray]
  • Tsukamoto: Killing / Haze / Denchukozo [Blu-ray]
    Films included: The Adventures of Electric Rod Boy, Haze, Killing
    Distributor: Third Window Films
18th May:
  • The Flavour of Green Tea Over Rice [Blu-ray & DVD]
    Distributor: BFI
  • Funeral Parade of Roses [Blu-ray & DVD]
  • Throw Down [Blu-ray]
1st June:
  • Parasite [Blu-ray] Date Updated
    Distributor: Curzon Artificial Eye
15th June:
  • Armour of God II: Operation Condor [Blu-ray] New Addition
  • Tokyo Story (4K Restoration) [Blu-ray & DVD]
29th June:
  • Takeshi Kitano Three-Film Collection [Blu-ray]
    Films included: Boiling Point, Sonatine, Violent Cop
27th July:
  • Gamera: The Complete Collection (Limited Edition) [Blu-ray] Date Updated
    Films included: Gamera the Giant Monster, Gamera vs. Barugon, Gamera vs. Gyaos, Gamera vs. Viras, Gamera vs. Guiron, Gamera vs. Jiger, Gamera vs. Zigra, Gamera: Super Monster, Gamera the Brave, plus 4K restorations for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris

Distributor: Arrow Video
Coming Soon:
  • The Burning Buddha Man & Violence Voyager [Third Window Films] New Addition
  • Hanagatami [Third Window Films] New Addition
  • Melancholic [Third Window Films] New Addition
  • Pink Films Volumes 3 & 4: Abnormal Family & Blue Film Woman [Third Window Films]
  • Pink Films Volumes 5 & 6: Women Hell Song & Underwater Love [Third Window Films]

Jon O Fun

Hunter
Has anyone seen a reason as to why Dragons Forever keeps getting delayed? I'm sure it was due in Oct/Nov but has had about 4 push backs.

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
A heads-up for those who like to collect, I was venturing through Eureka Entertainment's website and noticed they have listed Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Tokyo Sonata as 'discontinued' so if you are interested in the director's work or the film, in particular, it might be worth acquiring it sooner than later.

Eureka Entertainment still has Kiyoshi Kurosawa's other films in print - Creepy, Cure, and Journey to the Shore.

Stiivun

Stand User
Yeah that price is :rolleyes: Was lucky enough to buy my copy from eBay ages ago for a reasonable price, as I also missed it at Kimchidvd back in the day, as it sold out very quickly. It’s one, if not THE one, of my favourite South Korean movies right up there with The War of the Arrows.

Stiivun

Stand User
That’s also a very good one, and have the South Korean Hommage release for this one, Kim Jee-woon also directed A Tale of Two Sisters and I Saw the Devil amongst others and I highly recommend these too.

Unfortunately i don‘t follow the South Korean releases closely anymore, have anime to blame for that 😁 For instance i’m missing JSA and would love to see a re-release of The Brotherhood of War.

Stiivun

Stand User
Yeah it is. I can't count on one hand anymore about the number of people on blu-ray.com contacting me if I wouldn't be willing to sell my copy of The Chaser ... but that ain't going to happen, I'll firmly hold it in my greasy fat fingers for as long as i draw breath 😁

Birdie Num Num

Kiznaiver
Yeah it is. I can't count on one hand anymore about the number of people on blu-ray.com contacting me if I wouldn't be willing to sell my copy of The Chaser ... but that ain't going to happen, I'll firmly hold it in my greasy fat fingers for as long as i draw breath 😁
May I hold it, just for a second 🥺

NormanicGrav

AUKN Staff
Akira Kurosawa's Ran is going to receive a 4K Ultra HD release. A listing appeared in Australia under Universal but the UK release should be with Studio Canal if it shows up.

Yami

Straw Hat Pirate
It's actually listed under Studio Canal in Australia as well, so chances are good here. Fingers crossed anyway, it would look incredible; it's probably Kurosawa's best-looking film. Well, that or Dreams but Ran is the better film.