Asian Cinema Thread

Dannielle said:
bakum4tsu said:
Thanks! I've been a bit away but visiting the forum everytime I can.

About the movies, I think I've posted my list in the beggining. I havent seen that many Asian movies but I do like to watch from time to time. Actually, I'm not a big movie fan overall, I like to watch but I don't watch that many, lets say, just the ones that really make me hyped about them. lol

I will post my list again for you and what I've said at the time too.

Azumi 1 + 2
Battle Royale 1 + 2
Bichunmoo - The Warrior
Blood - The Last Vampire (2009)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Curse of the Golden Flower
Death Note 1 + 2
Fearless
Gantz + Gantz: The Perfect Answer
Ichi (2008)
Internal Affairs 1 + 2 + 3
Memoirs of a Geisha
Old Boy
Ong Bak
The House of the Flying Daggers
The Host
The Last Samurai

I've also seen Zatoichi which it was cool but I don't own it along with the first Rurouni Kenshin movie and Nana. I still wanna check out Beck and Detroit Metal City live actions. Just cause I've enjoyed the anime a lot.

Anyway, for some reason, there are time where I feel I should buy a few more asian movies but then its falls into pieces. Its a very weird situation, I like to watch some asian cinema but I never end up doing it.

:)

Internal Affairs! How did I forget that, great film. The third one is worth a watch then? Only seen the first & second.

Bichunmoo - The Warrior & Azumi added to my never ending list.

Gantz..I never finished the Anime nor have I read the Manga, alright films to go into blind?

Actually I don't remember how was the 3rd movie but as far as I can, i think it was a few years after the main events from the 1st and 2nd. To be honest, I dont remember the movie at all. xD But if you enjoyed the first 2, then watch it. I got all the movies for 5euros in a special box. That was a total bargain.

Azumi is a great movie, I'm pretty sure it was one of the first japanese movies that I've seen.

About Gantz, it was better than what I was expecting. I never have high expectations for Live-Action adaptations so cant say I was disapointed. Of course its impossible to cover all of the manga and, at the time I've seen it, I don't think the manga was over so now that I've read it all, I might re watch the 2 movies and see what they have done but I know it was quite different. You should try the anime, you will enjoy I guess.

msgeek said:
Rurouni Kenshin 3 should be out tomorrow. I assume we've got a few people here with it on pre-order on on the way now?
My copy is in the post. Now I just need to find time to fit in all three films (I'll probably wait until later in the year when I have more time off work).

Thanks bakum4tsu :3

Ah, I too picked up the Rurouni Kenshin 3 steel book. First film is fab, cannot wait to watch the other two.

serpantino - You had me at cheesy.

Wasn't quite sure where to put this and figured here was as good as anywhere.

The upcoming Lone Wolf and Cub Criterion BD is £21.75 on hive.co.uk, it appears to be £60 everywhere else.
See Lone Wolf and Cub - The Criterion Collection
Probably a pricing error, and can't say I've used them in the past but for that price I thought I'd give it a shot.

Wasn't quite sure where to put this and figured here was as good as anywhere.

The upcoming Lone Wolf and Cub Criterion BD is £21.75 on hive.co.uk, it appears to be £60 everywhere else.
See Lone Wolf and Cub - The Criterion Collection
Probably a pricing error, and can't say I've used them in the past but for that price I thought I'd give it a shot.

Damn, for that price I went for it too. Not really heard of this before, but the description of it sounds like it might be up my alley. Even if I don't like it, I imagine at that price I'd hardly make a loss if I were to sell it on.

Very tempted by the Lone Wolf And Cub set. We've been getting some great classic asian cinema sets recently like the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys ones, and this feels very much in the same line.

Hive cancel orders placed with pricing errors.
And? So what if it cancels, I don't think Criterion sets are strictly limited. And if they do cancel, you'll probably have time to re-order. I'm not sure how you really lose anything by trying.

Plus, they gave me a discount code last time to make for cancelling my order. So, I bear them no ill will for doing do.

Also tempted to get this one, already have the nice Eureka DVD and enjoyed watching those movies a while back. Double dipping on these is a no-brainer for me.

I see that Hive even ships abroad, do they charge on shipment or immediately ?

After a few posts on the UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains threads I was looking for a thread about Japanese live action cinema and found this thread.

Here's my collection:

Watched:

Adrift In Tokyo
And The Mud Ship Sails Away
Fish Story
The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and God In A Coin Locker
Instant Swamp
Kamikaze Girls
Love & Peace
Mitsuko Delivers
Quirky Guys and Gals
Sawako Decides
See You Tomorrow, Everyone
Shall We Dance?
Tony Takitani
Turtles Are Surprisingly Fast Swimmers

Still to watch:

After Life
Au Revoir L'été
Be My Baby
Cyborg She
Fukuchan of Fukufuku Flats
The Land of Hope
Like Father, Like Son
Our Little Sister
A Scene At The Sea
Space Battleship Yamato
Still Walking
The Story of Yonosuke
Sweet Bean
Time Traveller: the girl who leapt through time
Tokyo Story

Planning to buy when they're released next year:

After The Storm
Whispering Star

Any recommendations based on these would be welcome.

Not based on any of the above but reading the list above made me want to watch A Bittersweet Life again. Might have to watch it tonight.

Only seen Fish Story out of your list, so not sure what type of film the rest are.

Korean rom-com
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0497137/

There's another Japanese rom-com I saw that I remember liking, but can't remember the name and couldn't see it on the few lists I looked through. :(
I'd say the films on my list are mainly a mixture of comedies and dramas.

I think I saw I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK on film4 once, but my focus is on Japanese films when it comes to Asian cinema.

I'd say the films on my list are mainly a mixture of comedies and dramas.

I think I saw I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK on film4 once, but my focus is on Japanese films when it comes to Asian cinema.
Film4 is probably where I saw it as well. Definitely the case with Fish Story and probably with the one I can't remember.

IMDB is always good for lists, there's a few from yours on this one:
Top 25 Japanese Romance Movies as of 2017 - IMDb

There was a point a few years ago where I was watching a lot of Japanese horror films. The Grudge is probably my favourite. There was a point where Hollywood kept doing American remakes of J Horror films, and not one of them came even close to the originals.

More recently though I have been watching a fair bit of Korean and Japanese cinema. Like most people I freaking love Oldboy, so I watched the rest of the Vengeance trilogy. There was nothing approaching Oldboy's hyper violent appeal, but Lady Vengeance was equally good for very different reasons. A very sombre movie. Also dug into a few Kurosawa films.

I haven't got much in the way of a collection though. What I tend to do is look for something I want on a streaming service, then if it isn't there I'll check rental prices, and sometimes opt for a DVD if it works out cheaper. So the only DVDs I have are in cases where it worked out cheaper than a rental. :) If I started seriously collecting something else in addition to anime, I would be perpetually broke. I definitely wouldn't have had enough money to maintain my rate of media consumption if it weren't for on demand services.

If anyone is looking for a good source of movies and already has Amazon Prime, the BFI channel addon has a brilliant selection of classic Japanese cinema on it. There's also a 7 day trial you can abuse if you feel like bingeing a bunch without paying. For one thing, it has a great number of Kurosawa films on it. The Mubi channel addon is also good if you're looking for more modern stuff, but that's more for world cinema in general.

Last edited:
Didn't notice there was a Asian Cinema thread here! I though I might get in on it, some of you may have noticed I like Jackie Chan and Hong Kong movies. But I do have som questions. I recently got into older Japanese movies, I've watched about an hour of Seven Samurai, and want to watch the rest on blu-ray.

Is the UK version okay to get? - I don't watch extras, so the Criterion version seems a bit unnecessary to me, since it's has just a bit better PQ.
And there are some others I want to get, but don't know if they are must haves:
Rashomon
Harakiri
A Touch of Zen (not JP)
Dragon Inn (not JP)

What are your thoughts on those? - I would like to get the UK versions, as it seems a few of them have better PQ than Criterion.
Also my brother is actually making custom Asian Cinema Collection blu-ray covers, let me know if you would like to see them!

I have the Criterion release of Seven Samurai, so I can't comment on the BFI release other than that I've heard the PQ is inferior. If you're willing to accept that, then I'd probably go for the whole Kurosawa Samurai Collection. Kurosawa's Ran is also available on Blu-Ray.

Those four films are all must haves. As are quite a lot of the Asian films released by Masters of Cinema and Arrow to be honest.

Last edited:
Back