Animefreak17 And His All-Purpose General Chat Thread

Rui said:
I liked Gurren Lagann a lot but I never bothered buying the compilation movies, so I think quite a lot of the fans would drop off. However, movies do tend to sell better than complete series, so they might gather up some new fans who can't be bothered to watch a longish TV show just to test the waters with some exciting robot action?

But then, a more casual kind of fan might be less open to sub-only releases :(

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I wonder how Tokyo Godfathers did, that was a sub-only show over here.

I'd really like to see some solid information on it. Manga have said before that sub-only releases sell only half of what a series would get if it was bilingual, but that doesn't sound like a bad trade off when the numbers involved are right. Manga get their dubs for pretty much free though, so it makes more sense for them to dive on things with preexisting dubs.

They'd have to pick certain types of shows though for sub-only. I suspect with Tokyo Godfathers' content it can't have done much worse at all sub-only than if it had had a dub, since it would have had a very different target audience to normal.

R

I know you didn't SAY it but from all the Manga talk I feel like you're inferring they published it, when it was actally Sony. (Sorry if I assumed wrong!) I guess as a japanese company there may be less resistance to sub-onlys, but then they also did Paprika which was dubbed. I agree though, TG is not something I imagine being picked up on a whim, it's just not very "anime" at least from a casual fans understanding of the term.

Also with sub only, I'd imagine I dunno, coding might be harder or something? I dunno how DVDs work lol, but if a show is dubbed, it has a US release so very little, if anything, is altered to the disc content I'd imagine, just the format. With sub, Manga, beez or whoever would be bringing more cost on themselves, since they'd have to re-do menus etc along with getting a translation etc.

animefreak17 said:
Ian Wolf said:
animefreak17 said:
if you could be any character who would you be and why (you can choose more then one)

From an anime or any work of fiction?
anime
game
manga
anything

In terms of anime I'm tempted to say England from Hetalia. Tea, booze, and the oppotunity to make friends with unicorns and flying mint bunnies.

I don't think I'd be any of them. I like being me. I mean it would be awesome to have Iron Man's money and suit, but you'd also have his responsibilities and crippling alcoholism. I might like certain attributes of a fictional character, but I don't think there's any I'd actually want to be. Even Jedi seem to not have very much fun (if you're being a decent jedi anyway :p).

If I HAD to choose I guess Kyle Katarn, jedi with the attitude of Han Solo. Also: beard (and he gets to marry Jan Ors ;P)

Sparrowsabre7 said:
I know you didn't SAY it but from all the Manga talk I feel like you're inferring they published it, when it was actally Sony. (Sorry if I assumed wrong!) I guess as a japanese company there may be less resistance to sub-onlys, but then they also did Paprika which was dubbed. I agree though, TG is not something I imagine being picked up on a whim, it's just not very "anime" at least from a casual fans understanding of the term.

Also with sub only, I'd imagine I dunno, coding might be harder or something? I dunno how DVDs work lol, but if a show is dubbed, it has a US release so very little, if anything, is altered to the disc content I'd imagine, just the format. With sub, Manga, beez or whoever would be bringing more cost on themselves, since they'd have to re-do menus etc along with getting a translation etc.

Haha, sorry, there was meant to be a break between me remarking on wanting to see how it was done and going on about Manga (who are the only ones who regularly reveal tons of juicy details on things). I have an import of TG but I bought the local version as a present for my Mum so I saw the UK version too :)

Most of the UK anime companies get their materials from Australia, so they don't have to do any real work on the production side. What I find interesting is that Australia has been dabbling in sub-only lately (Siren rather than Madman) and they have some very cool titles which don't have R1 equivalents, so if we could shake off some of the fear of sub-only here it could be a nice way for us to see some new series without relying on the R1 dub cycle completely. For series with existing dubs though I agree, and going out of their way to remove the dub would be crazy since it costs them almost nothing to leave it in and doubles sales :D

R

Black Butler II is coming to the US, it's just taking forever. As usual whether Manga bring it here will depend on sales of the first season, which probably suck given the usual performance of girl-orientated material but you never know. The manga is ridiculously popular even in this country.

R

Rui said:
Black Butler II is coming to the US, it's just taking forever. As usual whether Manga bring it here will depend on sales of the first season, which probably suck given the usual performance of girl-orientated material but you never know. The manga is ridiculously popular even in this country.

R

RUI thank you for telling me that *kisses for you* well it is based in victoria england and its about a good looking mysterious butler and his cute master.

im looking farward to it thanks again RUI

For the love of all that is holy, stop doing bizarre things like capitalizing someone's handle for no reason.

I am also fairly sure that Rui does not need a brief overview of Black Butler's characters. :lol:

Ian Wolf said:
ilmaestro said:
Any character? From any work of fiction? Ever?

Well, that was just my choice with regards to an anime, not all fiction.
I was more directing my comment at the general suggestion, not your answer, sorry.

can anyone name the channels on tv and series/movies of animes back in the day

i remember

sci-fi had alsorts of violent old school anime
toonami
perpeler tv - e.g. fma
mtv (it was a music channel )
nick toons/nickolodien
anime central
cnx ( for a short time )
and there'd be the random movie on film 4, syfy, ect
CN
C4
Channel S,
Bengali TV
Fox Kids/Jetix

ok but i bet you cant remember what series they had in the day

Sky1 used to show Pokemon but that's now on CITV.

Last month ITV1 showed a Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, albeit stupidly early in the morning. I remember them showing an anime movie, I think it was Ghost in the Shell, when ITV1 broadcasted an episode of The South Bank Show devoted to anime.

I can recall Tenchi Muyo, and Bubblegum crises used to show on the sci-fi channel in the morning. That's all I remember apart from the butchered job they done to tenchi on CN

i remember around 4 am in the morning that on film 4 ( i think) they was showing the old fist of the north star.

these days we have the internet to watch anime or order them. today tv sucks theres nothing to watch its all crap.

Channel S, the most viewed Bengali TV channel in the UK used to show Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) English Dub sometimes.

Don't Forget Fox Kids/Jetix too they have definitley had anime. They've had Digimon, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Shaman King and some others too.

Back