Anime retailers No Import Fees List

Perhaps a stupid question that has been answered before - does the up1usa site mean it will get hit for customs?
Nope. United Publications are UK-based and their US site is basically the exact same as the UK site but using the US dollar currency. It's arguably cheaper to acquire US items through their US site compared to their UK site, however, you won't be able to use PayPal on the US site.

I'll stick with my usuall appraoch of may get hit by customs and work that into the possible cost, and work out if it really is worth it or not. Cheers.

Edit: I'v gone with the order so I'll post back here, or just re edit this post on whether i get any customs charges, cheers for the help all.
EDIT 03/08/2020: Got my parcel for AllYourMusic ebay with no custom charges and looks to be re-shipped from Holland.

"Ship to:" is just a UK/England address. 20200803_110428.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have recent experience with otaku.co.uk? Thinking of going with them to import Bakemonogatari as UP1 seems to be missing it.

I don't have any experience with the website but they turn up to conventions a lot, mostly selling art books and magazines. They are legit at least if you're considering it.

Does anyone have recent experience with otaku.co.uk? Thinking of going with them to import Bakemonogatari as UP1 seems to be missing it.
Hi, yes I've ordered a few things from them in the past and they're legit. One thing to be aware of though, be careful if you're ordering anything that comes listed with first print bonus items or similar, as I don't think they update their listings very often to reflect if they've not got them anymore.

Provided it's still in stock at Rightstuf you can email UP1 and ask them how much it would be to order in.
They've done that for me in the past with both anime, and way back with the first two seasons of Adventure Time.

I don't have any experience with the website but they turn up to conventions a lot, mostly selling art books and magazines. They are legit at least if you're considering it.
Hi, yes I've ordered a few things from them in the past and they're legit. One thing to be aware of though, be careful if you're ordering anything that comes listed with first print bonus items or similar, as I don't think they update their listings very often to reflect if they've not got them anymore.
Provided it's still in stock at Rightstuf you can email UP1 and ask them how much it would be to order in.
They've done that for me in the past with both anime, and way back with the first two seasons of Adventure Time.

Thanks for all the replies guys, this is great information.

Are there still "customs friendly" retailers that ship Australian BDs to Europe? Am thinking of picking up the Madman release of Konosuba.

But "United Publications Up 1" has included additional price (import fees) for items from the USA, if someone will buy on the UK version of the store. Is that, right? I really like this shop, but currently I'm thinking how it will be works right now, for EU users. They never declared the price to me about their package, but it will change now? I asked them this morning if there are any changes for EU shipments, and I am waiting for a reply.

I believe UP1USA ships from the UK so they will be obliged to add customs data for EU users from now on, which will lead to local taxes being applied on import as though they shipped from the USA. That will make the UK import companies a lot worse for EU users who will end up paying more than if they import from the USA directly themselves now.

For UK users, reshipping through Europe or relying on sneaking under the Customs VAT threshold no longer applies, so the only way to get stuff imported without any extra charges is to use a UK-based company (like Otaku/UP1) who will import on your behalf then ship within the UK. Stores based outside the UK are supposed to charge taxes (and any associated fees) during checkout now, though it may take some of them a while to figure things out and some might block all UK orders outright until they have a system in place. Some might block UK orders permanently because registering for UK VAT to serve a tiny number of customers in the UK doesn't always make sense.

In a practical sense it probably means less choice and higher prices for importing across the board, but the benefit is that when it works you will get taxes displayed up front (like Amazon) instead of being shocked by a Royal Mail ransom note on delivery. Meanwhile, folks in Europe are going to be getting their local equivalent of a Customs ransom note whenever they buy from the UK, which means that UK distributors are going to be making fewer sales to European fans. There will probably be belt tightening on every side of the situation.

R

One thing I have to say, I don't like using them as their prices are high and shipping is slow and expensive but at least Zavvi have set up an Irish portal for EU customers.

As has been mentioned in another thread Irish online stores for entertainment are virtually non existent, and don't cater for anime at all, so this helps.

Back