UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Spotted Sword art online 2 standards on Amazon. Part 1 comes with an art box ala Persona movies. Commence moaning about not having waited 2 years to buy something. :p

Spotted Sword art online 2 standards on Amazon. Part 1 comes with an art box ala Persona movies. Commence moaning about not having waited 2 years to buy something. :p
Yeah we spotted this a couple days ago. It was expected that the standard Blu-rays would arrive but I wasn't expecting a box for Part 1. There are also standard Blu-rays for Black Butler: Book of Circus and Blood Blockade Battlefront in case anyone didn't notice.

I'm impressed they're releasing it at all, I'm sure there was a lot of doubt about it at the time (which led to me purchasing the pricey specials... something I regret a bit as I didn't enjoy them anywhere near as much as season 1.) Mind you it looks like they'll release around the same price anyway?? (I paid £25 each) damn Aniplex scum hiking prices!

As a side note, folks shouldn't let the reputation of Gusko Budori (which I haven't seen) put them off of Night on the Galactic Railroad which is all kinds of wonderful.

Commence moaning about not having waited 2 years to buy something. :p
I bought the SAO2 CEs, including part 1 with the artbox. I have no doubt the SAO2 Part 1 SE will come with a better artbox. I'm not even going to bother complaining anymore. I'm just going to hope for a nice early bird on the part 1 with artbox, double dip, and then wait as long as it takes for parts 2-4 to drop in price.

As a side note, folks shouldn't let the reputation of Gusko Budori (which I haven't seen) put them off of Night on the Galactic Railroad which is all kinds of wonderful.
So is Gusko Budori "Cats Staring in Silence 2: This time with more staring in silence"? Tempted to watch it just to find out. Galactic Railroad is a nice film, but boy it kinda dragged in parts.

Last edited:
Seems ERASED Part 2 is now 30th of April :/ you'd think I'd be used to this by now but nope, still disappointed. On the plus side I want a new fightstick so extra funds for that I suppose.

So is Gusko Budori "Cats Staring in Silence 2: This time with more staring in silence"? Tempted to watch it just to find out. Galactic Railroad is a nice film, but boy it kinda dragged in parts.
It still has some. I wouldn't say more though. I felt very inclined to fall asleep with the Railroad, but the other one had me stay awake for the run.
The weird thing though I, I remember more of the Railroad than the newer film, despite the newer having far more detailed backgrounds and me staying awake more engaged. perhaps it's because of a ripple effect from liking Mawaru Penguindrum?

Seems ERASED Part 2 is now 30th of April :/ you'd think I'd be used to this by now but nope, still disappointed. On the plus side I want a new fightstick so extra funds for that I suppose.

This should be the last delay on this one, and a holdover from before our streamlining our processes to avoid such delays for this year. Apologies that this one has taken so long - especially as a second half of such a great series - but we're definitely much closer to getting this over the line now.

So is Gusko Budori "Cats Staring in Silence 2: This time with more staring in silence"? Tempted to watch it just to find out.
'The Life of Budori Gusko' is the most beautifully animated two-hour-long crushing bore of a film that you'll ever sit through. Avoid.

The artwork is absolutely incredible, though, especially the immensely detailed background art. In fact, the film would probably be best enjoyed in artbook form.

Well, cats do tend to stare into silence for long periods of time for no apparent reason... :p

I thought it's ponderous pace was entirely appropriate for the themes of the film, and just adds to its dream-like quality. David Cairns did a good write-up about the film for The Notebook that I agree with: "Sugii [is] interested in dragging things out to a hypnotic crawl, making our eyes open wide in sympathy with his feline hero, who gazes about him with melancholy, slightly spaced-out wonderment." It's a stillness that isn't commonly found within animation, among its contemporaries I'd probably say Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg is the closest point of reference.

"Sugii [is] interested in dragging things out to a hypnotic crawl, making our eyes open wide in sympathy with his feline hero, who gazes about him with melancholy, slightly spaced-out wonderment."
Wow, that quote makes it sound as if the infuriatingly unresponsive main character and vacuous, content-free story are actually intentional stylistic choices rather than facets of a director trying but failing to drag something of any interest or value out of a dismally empty screenplay. :confused:

Wow, that quote makes it sound as if the infuriatingly unresponsive main character and vacuous, content-free story are actually intentional stylistic choices rather than facets of a director trying but failing to drag something of any interest or value out of a dismally empty screenplay. :confused:

I'm unsure if we're talking about the same film - Night on the Galactic Railroad, as opposed to The Life of Budori Gusko.

But the pacing and characterisation in the former are most certainly stylistic choices; the screenplay is by Minoru Betsuyaku, whose only other film credit is with Coup d'Etat, one third of Kiju Yoshida's political trilogy (available from Arrow), and who as far as I can gather is better known as a playwright/essayist influenced by Chekov and Beckett. So not your typical anime pedigree!

I'm unsure if we're talking about the same film - Night on the Galactic Railroad, as opposed to The Life of Budori Gusko.
Whoops. My profuse apologies, Yami. I totally misinterpreted your post; I thought the write-up part was referring to Gusuko. Sorry. :(

I haven't seen Galactic Railroad. I hope to one day, though, having watched a trailer. I'm very much intrigued by it.

I'd probably say Mamoru Oshii's Angel's Egg is the closest point of reference.
I'm not sure that bodes well. Now I love Oshii, but that film. That goddamn film. Funnily enough with all the MAL talk it's the only thing I've seen but cannot give a rating. My first experience of seeing it was walking into it late with @chaos and @ilmaestro at the Leeds Film Festival several years back, and when we all walked out I don't think any of us knew what to say, or what we had just witnessed. I still don't.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that bodes well. Now I love Oshii, but that film. That goddamn film. Funnily enough with all the MAL talk it's the only thing I've seen but cannot give a rating. My first experience of seeing it was walking into it late with @chaos and @ilmaestro at the Leeds Film Festival several years back, and we all walked out I don't think any of us knew what to say, or what we had just witnessed. I still don't.
I think the only anime I've struggled to give a rating to (aside from some where I was torn between rating of 7 and 8 out of ten) is Popee the Performer, simply because it's so batshit insane that I barely knew what was happening from short to short.
Popee the Performer UE plz Anime Limited.

I'm not sure that bodes well. Now I love Oshii, but that film. That goddamn film. Funnily enough with all the MAL talk it's the only thing I've seen but cannot give a rating. My first experience of seeing it was walking into it late with @chaos and @ilmaestro at the Leeds Film Festival several years back, and when we all walked out I don't think any of us knew what to say, or what we had just witnessed. I still don't.
Holy **** you saw Angels Egg on the big screen I am so jealous right now, what the hell now I'm mad this isn't fair :(

Holy **** you saw Angels Egg on the big screen I am so jealous right now, what the hell now I'm mad this isn't fair :(
I have trepidations about ever watching it again. I want to believe I'll appreciate it as an artistic masterpiece I didn't quite manage to grasp the first time around, but I'm concerned I might actually come away from it thinking it's a load of pretentious old balls. It might be best left as a half-remembered enigma.

Back