UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Considering it appears to only be Zeta that is getting the French sub treatment, I wouldn't look too much in to it.

The 0079 Trilogy is being done for France, I think we're just lucky benefactors on that one, and French tracks are included on Rec G. I wouldn't be surprised to see more titles having French support added (and probably being delayed because of it).

The French track was announced before brexit vote so that had nothing to do with it. Just sunrise catering to a big Gundam audience with the help of AL.

Rainy Cocoa has been removed temporarily, as they look at BBFC costs and costs of print and wonder if it's actually worth. It has only 2 pre-orders on Amazon, so they're re-evaluating their planned sub-only DVD-only release.

Wow, just read this properly and that's shocking. I did find it sort of boring and don't remember anything that happened when I was watching it, but it's certainly not the worst show around. With only two preorders it's difficult to question the decision to reevaluate the plan.

R

Wow, just read this properly and that's shocking. I did find it sort of boring and don't remember anything that happened when I was watching it, but it's certainly not the worst show around. With only two preorders it's difficult to question the decision to reevaluate the plan.

R

Personally I think Funimation UK shouldn't be releasing DVD only subtitled only titles to the UK. Instead they should make them Region 2 compatible and basically let the fans import, since they're cheap.

Funimation UK should focus on bringing over the Blu-ray/DVD combo titles, whether its dub/sub or subbed only.

I hadn't really thought about pre-orders being looked at to see if a release will be worthwhile. I used to pre-order things on Amazon then cancel closer to the release date if I could get it cheaper elsewhere. I found I was cancelling most of those orders so I stopped bothering unless the Amazon price happened to drop low enough (which doesn't seem to happen as often these days, hence the cancelled orders).

Presumably pre-orders aren't exactly the biggest factor but maybe I should consider getting back into the habit of putting in Amazon pre-orders for things that I plan to get, even if I don't really expect to end up buying them from Amazon.

I've maybe just missed something and I'm probably repeating but, has there been anything official on the date for the second part of Yona of the Dawn? Presumably it's not fixed and is expected to be later in the year (I notice that some places have changed the date to the 31st October) but I'm just wondering if there's anything official.

A shame about the Psycho-Pass movie, though I haven't gotten around to watching PP2 yet, so I probably wasn't going to be picking that up on its original release day anyway.

I hope pre-orders aren't that big of a deal... I tend to buy them a week or two after their release rather than pre-order...

R

I'm genuinely unsure as to whether I've even heard of the title prior to hearing of this news.

I suspect it might be a victim of not being a hugely heard-of title combined with not having been on Crunchyroll (or maybe Netflix, either). Especially as, as far as I can tell, it originally aired during the period that Funimation titles didn't even get an outing via Viewster or Animax. Poor services or not, they would still increase exposure somewhat of titles.
But being as it was first officially available partway through its simulcast run on a service that still hasn't quite got up to speed can't have helped.

Although I also suspect that, despite still not being "quite there" as a service, FunimationNow giving a proper UK outlet for even the lower key simulcasts will help avoid this happening in the future. And surely the service will improve soon enough...

Combine that with being DVD-only and sub-only and I think that it's going to cause problems for a title.

For subtitles, the improved typeface that Blu-ray has can probably help sell a lack of a dub. And for something being DVD-only, having a dub will help provide value (and a version that doesn't need quite the same level of advantage that Blu-ray brings)

DVD-only + sub-only probably only works on a title with a really large fanbase or level of hype/recognition. Oddly, those sorts of titles are probably more likely to get a dub and/or BD release anyway if a recent created in HD.

For me, having not seen the show at all (I don't really watch many fansubs anymore so, as a general rule, anything not on CR is a blind-buy for me), it's the kind of show I'm only likely to pick up on a whim if i see it in a store, at an event or on sale online. As I said a few paragraphs back, it being on a not-feature-complete service that began partway into the airing run can't have brought it to too many people's attention yet.

No, not at all.
The Manga market in France is reeealy big, the anime market is... in a poor state.

Oh Gods, the French manga market...

Go into a general bookstore or even general book+electronic+music/video store and you'll quite possible find a manga section that's bigger than some small branches of Waterstones!
(Or at least it can feel like it when you're in one)

I saw titles in Lille that still don't have an official English-language release. Not even in America. And I've not even been to France since '13.

Incase you haven't read the latest Anime Limited newswire several more titles have been delayed.

The following titles will now be released on the following days.

Psycho-Pass: The Movie - 31st October 2016 (due to a production error)
Samurai Flamenco: Part 2 - 19th September 2016 (stock delay)
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad - 19th September (printing error)

Back