UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Said before but I'll mention it again just in case someone is actually looking for it with the box, Gundam Mad still have it with the box included for £34.99, although they charge a flat £5 delivery fee on everything on their site so more £39.99. It's not exactly cheap but it's cheaper than most places are selling it without the box for.

You're not a pain - they are, but do you really want to wait as long as Letter to Momo to get a release? I for one (as does Madman) do not want to.

AP

I'm fine with a subtitle only release, especially given Miss Hokusai is set in that time period where having English voices would somewhat ruin the experience in a way (depends on people's perspectives).

On a positive note, given @Anime unveiled their Collector's Edition artwork a while back, is the UK version exactly the same or slightly different this time around?

Mai Mai Miracle Bonus Update

If you check your emails, you'll notice that Anime Limited have sent out the digital rewards; a look at the booklet and a wallpaper.

The booklet is pretty nice, though I also have the artbook to look forward to (I'm apparently one of 201 people who backed that which is something). The names of everyone who backed the kickstarter are also listed in the digital booklet. For example I'm on the first section lol:

CrBm2U8WYAA1TI_.jpg:large

Anime Limited can haz another podcast! :D

Notes for those unable to listen:
  • Kerry's international assignment was "pretty groovy".
  • They have lots of news.
  • "Things are not chill in marketing, I'll tell you that"
  • Lots of news in the latest newswire, "ideally hit and run some of it"
  • They're really frustrated Miss Hokusai is not out yet. There's nothing malicious or obtrusive (as with Gurren Lagann), somebody managing the title really wants it to be the highest possible quality, as they expect it to be the only release of it's type. Unfortunately, GKIDS are now dubbing it. Andrew wants to note Letter to Momo was their last dub and that took 2 years for a release. Andrew would like to have it out October-time, pending approvals and printing time, with 10 working days notice for Amazon and retailers.
  • "We're catching up with 2013!" - Kerry (They're half-laughing, half-crying.)
  • "Things happen at times and things you can't control" - Andrew
  • "It's not laughing cos I think it's hilarious, it's either I laugh or cry at this stage." - Kerry
  • Shinkai is basically done, it's off to approval. Because Shinkai's new film just came out, Andrew expects they won't hear much for a week or so. It's on target for delivery before the new Shinkai film is released. How convenient? "It's almost like somebody planned that... It would be a good time to watch them before going to the cinema"
  • The Perfect Blue LE steelbook is good. According to Zavvi, it's selling well. 50% of the stock went within a week.
  • 5th September - Samurai Flammenco Part 2 CE
  • 12th September - Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad (DVD only, no BD they could get access to and it's not that good)
  • 26th September - Empire of Corpses LE steelbox (inc. BD, DVD, artcards and booklet with BTS look at the word and interviews with the director and screenwriter)
Some movements:
  • Lucky Star - Pushed back to add bonus features DVD, leading to recostings, redesigns and reapprovals. They're hoping for December, but it will definitely be out before the end of 2016.
  • Your Lie in April - Currently in approvals, hoping for October. They'll give more information when they have it.
  • Eden of the East - CE set is coming, "one of Andrew's babies". It is not September, the date is still TBC, but they're hoping for November.
  • Claymore - Currently in approvals, they're hoping for the end of the year. Should have nice artcards and 100p artbook, unless the licensor says no.
  • Gundam Rec G - Coming on 7th November, with artcards and slipcase with great key art. Gundam has sold well over 1000 copies every time they've done it so far. Andrew knows it's coming after the US, but that's the nature of rigid packing. It's limited to around 1000 copies, but the price will be less when the standard gets released, as it's a licence not a distribution deal. They can't do it with other Gundams, as they're distribution deals, and they have maintain agreements with Sunrise.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - Sunrise subtitled it to engage French fans, Sunrise are precise about authoring, so this took time. Andrew gives us a call out, but spoke about this with other people. Andrew wants to dispell the comments he's seen on AUKN and other forums about it only being in AL's benefit or being done to keep French fans quiet. Andrew thinks the viewpoint is very non-European. Anime is not a naturally guaranteed right, and he wants to point out that it benefits anime fans elsewhere. If it was just about the UK and the US, they'd import from RightStuf, like they will with Build Fighters, BF Try, Victory Gundam. They're working on those, but they don't want to flood the market and overwhelm consumers. One release every two months is ideal, but they're aiming to get the gap closer. Jeremy wants to point out that they are dealing with a lot of titles on a lot of scales, far more than RightStuf are, and AL's CEs take a lot more time and care. Kerry mentions that the US market is much much bigger than the UK market, and Kerry likes seeing complaints about damaging people's wallets, but they don't want to put people in the situation where they can't afford titles they want, so they try to space releases out to make it easier on people. They release Christmas might get in the way, and unfortunately they don't have the capability to hold pre-orders without taking the money. Both Andrew and Jeremy are looking at it, but unfortunately they can't currently do it. They also recognise this is easier for some people, who just want them to take the money and get it out of the way.
  • Aldnoah.Zero S2 - Currently in approvals, so hopefully news will come soon. They're hoping for Q4, they can't see why it won't make Q4, but if anything changes they'll us know. They're hoping to include something nice that they aren't normally allowed to include.
  • Riddle Story of Devil - It's not coming in September, as they have to author their own BDs for it. They're currently looking at the possibilities, costing up effort and judging sales potential.
Funimation Titles
  • Gonna Be The Twin Tail - Still being BBFC'd, confident for 26th September
  • No-Rin - Tentatively 10th October
  • Fairy Tail - No update, they hope for one soon.
  • Yurikuma Arashi - 31st October
  • Brothers Conflict - 14th November
  • Title being removed from retailers. Rainy Cocoa has been removed temporarily, as they look at BBFC costs and costs of print and wonder if it's actually worth. It has only 2 pre-orders on Amazon, so they're re-evaluating their planned sub-only DVD-only release.
News
  • Tatami Galaxy - 28th November. Details were in the last newswire. It will have a rigid case, digipack, 4 art cards and a 60p booklet. Includes all 11 episodes, sub-only as no dub exists, promo video, clean opening and endings and a 20-minute making of.
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront - 7th November. Details in the last newswire. The LE will have a rigid case, digipack, 120p artbook, with character image boards, art settings, interviews with the creator, art director, creature designer and character design and more. Includes all 12 episodes, dubbed and subbed, episode 10.5, interviews with English cast, promo videos. A pre-order special is still on their webstore.
Events
  • MCM Scotland at Glasgow at the end of September. More news soon. Has a Berserk related guest, producer Reo Kurosu.
  • Scotland Loves Anime fast approaching. Lots of news incoming. There is a limited number of weekend passes for purchase. The full line-up will come within the next fortnight.
  • MCM London at the end of October. Andrew hears the guests are almost lined up and they will be "cracking".

AL are working on secret projects, and they hope to make their scheduled release dates for them.
The FMA thing weights 5kg, and could kill a medium sized alchemist and dent a fullmetal alchemist. There is "a f***tonne of detail on it as well", and texture too.

Last edited:
Considering that France has consistently been singled out as a key, large market for Gunpla, it doesn't surprise me at all that Sunrise would want to engage that market and with an established partner (Anime Limited) already having a presence in that country, it's frankly a no-brainer that Sunrise would look to them for French support as well.

Finally got round to ordering my copy of Blood Blockade Battlefront. It's a fantastic looking set and I'm really excited for it come out. :D

I've just moved house and I don't know if I can trust the neighbours, so I might have to annoy Jeremy with a change of address request later on though.

2 cents - because I know AL read this. Absolutely think you should do a video cast :) There must be loads of shiny things in your office you could pass around that would be interesting for us to see you pass around :D

Great little podcast, enjoyed listening.
Could I just get confirmation of what Gundam titles you officially have scheduled for release in the UK please? For the schedule here.

2 cents - because I know AL read this. Absolutely think you should do a video cast :) There must be loads of shiny things in your office you could pass around that would be interesting for us to see you pass around :D
Clearly should be one of those 360 videos so we have to watch it multiple times for clues.

The news about Zeta et al have been annoying, but just reading about stuff like ZZ, Turn-A and Victory Gundam getting not only releases, but Blu-ray releases... IN THE UK, is really amazing. I kind of momentarily forgot about all those DVD sets I had to import to complete my Gundam collection in the 2000s, a collection that didn't include the three series I mentioned above. Good times ahead!

Back