UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Buzzkillington said:
Will be picking up both BBB & Tatami Galaxy for sure, pretty excited for both but especially the latter. I hope the spine of BBB looks a bit better in person though, looks off to me and I'm not sure why as it's technically what I ask for.....

Glad to hear people seem to like Tatami Galaxy! I worked pretty hard on getting that one done ahead of time and am excited to be able to show it off at last.

Buzzkillington said:
I'm sure Andrew already said work was underway for Build & Build Try, if I remember right he said they were waiting of packaging files.

Working on Build and Build Try now, just awaiting image data as you guessed :)!

AP

Pre-ordered BBB, was hoping it'd get a pre-order deal since I couldn't afford to pay £50 at the beginning of November. Nice to get updates on some of your upcoming releases.

Really pleased with the look of Tatami Galaxy, definitely grabbing that. Might have to be for Christmas as I'm having cashflow issues but it will be mine! The early bird on BBB is also tempting as I enjoyed the show.

(To address one of the very good points made in the longer debate that's intertwined here, if anything having less cash to splash is making me cut down - but in favour of special editions. If I have say £30 per month to spend on anime, I can either get two sets of Bleach per month or half a special edition from AL. The thing is though, Bleach sets don't really get me excited. They're barebones and I have an annual Crunchyroll subscription filling me up on mediocre shounen action titles*. So I'd rather just sit on the cash and buy Tatami Galaxy instead. I'll probably watch it as many times as the runtime on all of that Bleach, anyway.)

R

* With no disrespect to that particular genre, there's a bit of a large gap in quality and value to me as a person between a release like Tatami Galaxy on BD in artsy packaging with the timing issue from the DVDs fixed (I hope) versus something designed as throwaway action-packed entertainment for a rainy day.

On thinking about it, one small niggle. While I appreciate the Blu-ray push for Turn A, isn't it mildly odd to do this without the DVD only AU shows existing in the UK market? While it largely stands by itself, Turn A draws from the first 20 years of Gundam history and references G, W and X as part of that.

By definition, anime titles are largely niche in the UK (barring the Ghibli movies). Any distributor is already starting from a point of low catchment. On top of that, for the Gundam DVDs, we know that they'd be PAL and we know that there's no real great appetite for that. Given this, whilst it's odd not to have them, it makes good commercial sense as the catchment becomes even smaller.

I'm not overly concerned. Andrew's been totally honest in telling us that we can safely import them, and that's good enough for me. :)

Quite possibly not, stock hasn't been returned anyway but I can look into it! If you do order there and don't get one, message me and I'll sort you one out here as I have one or two kicking about in the office I believe...

AP

I'll take advantage of this. I ordered from them yesterday morning, as they'd listed the collectors book with it. I'll post back here, when the set arrives to confirm if they do still have stock.

So just to catch up, we should import Gundam X because it's not going to be released over here? and the US version plays on PAL players?

Just checking, somehow three pages sprung up over night! :)

From a PAL/NTSC perspective it'll play, but I'd imagine they're also region 1 locked so it will depend on whether your player is region-free or not.

From a PAL/NTSC perspective it'll play, but I'd imagine they're also region 1 locked so it will depend on whether your player is region-free or not.

Some of RightStuf's DVD-only Gundam titles are also region 2 enabled, some are not. It's worth checking @NormanicGrav's thread, here.

But the two that are region 2 enabled are After War X and Evolve.

Yeah, thanks for that. I got rid of my multi-region DVD player a while ago in favour of just using my PS3/4 (less things plugged into the telly), if I do need to play a US region DVD I plug my laptop into my TV, but it's a bit of a hassle. I'll import Gundam X soon, and leave the rest in Anime Ltd.'s hands (I already own the OVAs, including War in the Pocket, on US DVD, so if one doesn't get an blu-ray release over here, so be it. I only get rid of the DVDs once the blu-ray is in my hands.)

My copy of Gundam pt2 arrived from Zavvi today and I can confirm that the booklet came with it. I imagine they should still have stock, unless I bought the last copy. :rolleyes:

Is it common for the booklet and two amaray cases to fit very tightly inside the artbox? Feels like I'd rip it if I put everything inside at once.

Yeah the places that have the art box and book left know that the people that really really care are prepared to spend extra. For me £110 for the original gundam series is just a tad over too much XD.

Back