UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Zavvi's international delivery rates do vary a lot as well, from £1 to some European countries to £10 to those outside. Considerably more if tracked. MVM... whatever they're doing I'd certainly like to know because it seems either incredibly good value (they're maybe the best negotiators with delivery companies who ever lived) or they don't mind taking the risk and losing the odd delivery.

There's a reason a lot of companies aren't big fans of Hermes.
(a) If we lose or damage all of a Consignment we will be liable for a maximum of £20 If however this maximum figure is greater than the actual value of the Consignment then we shall only be liable for the full value of that Consignment
Imagine AL sending one of those bundles (or even one of their UEs) to the USA with Hermes and then it being lost or damaged. And Hermes don't have the best reputation in that regard either.
Plus it seems Zavvi have increased their rates. I ordered the Into the Spiderverse steelbook last night and shipping was €4.49 to Ireland, this was €2.49.

@ayase: You're right. Except that Hermes offers additional insurance, but charges approx 5% of the value.
(so e.g. £100 value = £80 over the regular £20-limit = £4 extra)
But yes, that will sum up for CEs...

I’m torn on this whole “at least they ship worldwide, and it’s high to stop imports” argument. Yes, it makes sense that they would put their country at first priority, and yes, it’s nice that they do offer worldwide shipping, but this whole “at least they do it” argument is preachy and annoying me to an insane degree. Yes, it is good, but when you offer it, you should then make sure your customers- regardless of location- get good treatment.

I know I’m coming off as an entitled @$$hole, but it really sucks. I’m a consumer who’s rather support a company releasing the same (or similar) product of a higher quality than our local publishers (those incompetent plebs at FUNimation). I speak with my wallet.

Think of me as entitled all you want, it’s totally fine, and if I lived in the UK, I’d be thinking the exact same thing as you in regards to FUNi and Sentai’s shipping policies. It’s really a mindset of where you live. I just so happen to what a product better in the UK, and I’m screwed over by shipping. It’s a first world problem, sure, but an annoying one. Nor can I really say you have it worse, as I’ve never lived there, so it’s impossible to say who really has it worse. Bottom line- it’s sucks.

Although, I will say your taxes are worse. 20% is insane. (Michigan- my state- is 6%, but it’s on top of the sale price, so that sucks) I think we can agree that 20% taxes are ludicrous.

@Professor Who I think maybe you're detecting a degree of antagonism in people's posts that isn't actually there, I think people are just trying to state the facts rather than being preachy or seeing you as entitled. It does suck that it costs so much to import and that certain products aren't just available domestically for everyone (like AL's products for you in the US, there's a lot of Sentai and Discotek releases the UK is never going to get and importing and incurring fees is the only way for anyone this side of the pond to get them) but unfortunately that's the strange regional distribution rights bound world we live in and as you say yourself, naturally companies are going to cater to their own regional market first and foremost.

While I sorta would like to see a more global market where goods can flow more easily and cheaply, I also feel that if it wasn't this way players like Funi would probably come to dominate (or simply ignore) the UK market, and neither Brits nor Americans would even have the choice of importing versions they prefer. Things have certainly changed in that regard for me over the last few years - I used to import loads from the US, both releases I couldn't get and ones which were substantially cheaper than their exact equivalent UK releases. Now I import next to nothing because the UK market has really changed and improved with regards to what our releases offer, but also the VAT import threshold being lowered meant importing was no longer cost effective (even by only three quid, it's amazing what a difference that made).

I've never bought a blind box style anime selection crate before. Any speculation of what titles that could include?
My understanding is it doesn't include titles from the previous 11 days, so whats left that they could include?

@Professor Who I don't think any apology is necessary, it's easy enough to get the wrong end of the stick online - Just clarifying that certainly I at least didn't mean to come across as harsh or preachy. Apologies if I did!

I've never bought a blind box style anime selection crate before. Any speculation of what titles that could include?
My understanding is it doesn't include titles from the previous 11 days, so whats left that they could include?

This looks like the likely list based on a process of elimination:

It's a mystery for what could be remaining...
Films - 2 titles remaining
The Case of Hana & Alice
Princess Arete

TV Series - 8 titles remaining
Ajin: Demi-Human (Season 1)
Attack on Titan: Junior High
Black Butler: Book of Circus
Erased (Part 1)
Gangsta.
Noein ~to your other self~
Ouran High School Host Club
Tokyo ESP

I don't believe for one second that AL will have led us to perfectly predict what's in the boxes. They'll surprise us somehow.

I’ve bought both of them so I certainly hope so 😂

Even if not, there’s only 2 things in that list that I already own so I’m not too bothered. Plus the art cards were nice last year.

Damn. I wish they did (for me at least). Oh well. Considering the ones I actually wanted were in the sales, looks like I won’t be getting them.

I really was going to get them but the titles left that Grav posted aren’t really my thing, so it’s not worth the risk with that insane shipping.

Back