UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

No need to complain about AL shipping rate. Yes it's more expensive than MVM's shop (2£ compared to 11£). But heck it works the other way around to, as TRSI calculates $13,49 for shipping to Belgium which currently boils down to £10,5 and let's not get to the Sentai situation, no shipping outside US not even to Canada.

In the end you just need to be aware of it and decide if a sale is worth your while or not.

No need to complain about AL shipping rate. Yes it's more expensive than MVM's shop (2£ compared to 11£). But heck it works the other way around to, as TRSI calculates $13,49 for shipping to Belgium which currently boils down to £10,5 and let's not get to the Sentai situation, no shipping outside US not even to Canada.

In the end you just need to be aware of it and decide if a sale is worth your while or not.

My whole point is why someone in Europe pays the same as someone outside Europe. It sure isn't the same to me when I send something.

It's to deter outside the UK importing. AL is a UK publisher not a EU publisher, or US publisher.

It's the same reason FUNimation, and Sentai don't ship outside the US. Your meant to be supplying the region you own a license to. I think people outside the UK should be happy that a publisher is allowing people to buy their deals. I would love if sentai offered me the chance even with expensive shipping.

Something I’m curious about-when people in the US buy from AL, do you have to pay any sort of customs fees? When us Brits import there’s usually some fees to pay, whether pre-added at checkout or when it arrives in the country. It isn’t cheap for us to import either in the end of the day.

Something I’m curious about-when people in the US buy from AL, do you have to pay any sort of customs fees? When us Brits import there’s usually some fees to pay, whether pre-added at checkout or when it arrives in the country. It isn’t cheap for us to import either in the end of the day.

In the US you pay fees if the item value is above $250 iirc

In the US you pay fees if the item value is above $250 iirc
I see. Do AL put the full value of items on their international packages? I remember Rightstuf apparently undervalued for a while but then stopped and now unless one is very lucky you’ll end up getting customs fees (a shame the Swisspost route doesn’t even garuantee a safe entry anymore.)

I see. Do AL put the full value of items on their international packages? I remember Rightstuf apparently undervalued for a while but then stopped and now unless one is very lucky you’ll end up getting customs fees (a shame the Swisspost route doesn’t even garuantee a safe entry anymore.)

Legally you have to declare value of goods. Undervaluing, or not declaring the value is a criminal offense.

agreed. Would make buying US sets when they are on sale not sting as much when it gets like £1 vat and a £8 fee.

I personally have to eat £30 of VAT this month for one of my items, and it hurts.
Yeah there’s only really one more rightstuf sale item I want but to make customs worthwhile I might as well get one or two more items, but then it shifts the postage up on their end as well.

Zavvi: e.g. 1.30£
Zoom: 1.99£ (for the first 2 items, 2.99 for larger orders)
Amazon UK Marketplace: 1.92£ (per item, typically)
MVM: 2.00£ per item
Amazon UK: depending in destination, but typically around 4£ for the first item and a few pence for each additional
Anime Ltd: 11.50£

Whilest fees for Royal Mail are very cheap for low-weight items, prices get insane once you get over the 2kg-limit.
However, depending on destination, e.g. Hermes International | Parcel Delivery Made Easy charges less than 10£ even for a bulk orders hitting 5kg.
Zavvi's international delivery rates do vary a lot as well, from £1 to some European countries to £10 to those outside. Considerably more if tracked. MVM... whatever they're doing I'd certainly like to know because it seems either incredibly good value (they're maybe the best negotiators with delivery companies who ever lived) or they don't mind taking the risk and losing the odd delivery.

There's a reason a lot of companies aren't big fans of Hermes.
(a) If we lose or damage all of a Consignment we will be liable for a maximum of £20 If however this maximum figure is greater than the actual value of the Consignment then we shall only be liable for the full value of that Consignment
Imagine AL sending one of those bundles (or even one of their UEs) to the USA with Hermes and then it being lost or damaged. And Hermes don't have the best reputation in that regard either (or even paying up when it does happen).

We always tended to use ParcelForce, and it was a matter of negotiating prices with them based on how much we shipped each year. The smaller a company is, usually the less room they'd have for negotiation. Someone like Amazon, Zavvi or Zoom (Universal/Sony) is obviously going to be able to negotiate some pretty huge delivery discounts, someone like AL (and I would have thought MVM, which is why their cheap prices baffle me slightly, maybe they shift a lot more stock than I think - If they do I'm glad for them!) normally wouldn't.

Last edited:
Back